Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] I've discovered a new SAUCE

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I made a sauce once. A mix of brown sauce and salad cream which I call “Brown Cream”. You want a 50/50 mix...not more than that of salad cream or it gets too vinegary. You could even do 60/40 Brown.

Put that in a bacon / sausage sandwich and you’re away.

[emoji122]
278ee41163bb4cdc05a781b5a81a3e1a.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good to know that you’re easy bait Puinness Boy [emoji23], off to Wicky’s tomorrow for the weekend BBQ meat, maybe a trip to, excuse me ‘Saino’s’ [emoji23][emoji23][emoji122][emoji122] then a cycle over to Quaff for a drop of the New World’s finest [emoji6]

I've decided that's too much effort these days, so I send the butler.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bit poncey this thread, innit.

Where's [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] when you need him to post a picture of Tesco's Value Ketchup? You people who enjoy eating tasty things are weird.

:moo:

With all the new barbecue stuff I've acquired, I've taken to making my own sauces - a lot (rather than 'alot' - a word which doesn't exist), using something like Tesco Value Ketchup as a base.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It's VERY different.

Might just be the first flush of a new love but I prefer it to the real thing. Though there's space in my life for both :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, cos BONO also likes that sauce....

...he said it's even better than the real thing...:D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
With all the new barbecue stuff I've acquired, I've taken to making my own sauces - a lot (rather than 'alot' - a word which doesn't exist), using something like Tesco Value Ketchup as a base.

Imagine if I replaced the word "sauces" with "beers" and the words "Tesco Value Ketchup" with "Skol". Do you know anyone who'd drink them? :whistle:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Imagine if I replaced the word "sauces" with "beers" and the words "Tesco Value Ketchup" with "Skol". Do you know anyone who'd drink them? :whistle:

You don't think I have the Tesco Value Ketchup in its raw state, do you? I ain't no fackin' Charlatan, my good man...

In the same way I combine 'Skol' with other drain cleaners - for improved performance, you see.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When it comes to sauce, you need Salad Cream, Ketchup and HP. With Coleman’s mustard, a good tartare, mint sauce (never jelly), horseradish and Branson pickle also in the squad. Everything else can do one from the pantry. All these hot chilli malarkey’s with their ‘comic’, not so original sweary / ‘hard’ names in an effort to get idiots with no tastebuds to buy are purely disposable and an affront to recycling efforts frankly.

Keep it simple. Keep it British (mostly). Keep it tasty. We conquered the world with such sauces. No need for all these shouty imposters spoiling a good luncheon.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
When it comes to sauce, you need Salad Cream, Ketchup and HP. With Coleman’s mustard, a good tartare, mint sauce (never jelly), horseradish and Branson pickle also in the squad. Everything else can do one from the pantry. All these hot chilli malarkey’s with their ‘comic’, not so original sweary / ‘hard’ names in an effort to get idiots with no tastebuds to buy are purely disposable and an affront to recycling efforts frankly. .

Pretty fair assessment and that's coming from someone who admittedly gave Dave's Insanity Sauce a go ( see earlier in this thread). Bottom line is that few of these sauces have any actual pleasant flavour and are just exist on the basis of ' look how hard I am '. I understand that some people do almost get addicted to chili heat but not to the extent that it's unpleasant and your ring is on fire next day.

That said can anyone suggest a nice chili jam? Not silly hot and with some sweetness. Best I've found so far is Tracklements.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Pretty fair assessment and that's coming from someone who admittedly gave Dave's Insanity Sauce a go ( see earlier in this thread). Bottom line is that few of these sauces have any actual pleasant flavour and are just exist on the basis of ' look how hard I am '. I understand that some people do almost get addicted to chili heat but not to the extent that it's unpleasant and your ring is on fire next day.

That said can anyone suggest a nice chili jam? Not silly hot and with some sweetness. Best I've found so far is Tracklements.

I like Linghams range, they probably do a nice one. Import brands probably better than UK efforts, especially the ‘hothouse’ brigade efforts. Sure someone can recommend but yes, Tracklements are a good manufacturer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've never seen the point of these INSANELY eye-wateringly hot sauces that some people drown their food in. You could be eating an array of fagbutts and used chewing gum if its smothered in "Texan Yee-Haw x10 strength Pure Hagman" and not realise it, so whats the point if you can't even taste what you're eating ? I've seen people put habenero sauce on LOBSTER ffs. I mean come on.

Tesco did a particularly delicious medium strength chilli buffalo wing sauce that I forget the name of, which was naturally discontinued, as is the way with most things I really like (see also lamb & mint Brannigans). But I'm a big fan of mixing and experimenting. Celery is the most boring veg in the world - BUT...grate some danish blue cheese into a bowl, mix with mayo, lemon juice, paprika and a dash of worcester sauce, and then dip with some salty celery, and you will have an orgasm in your mouth. Not that kind, but you get my point.

I'm rambling.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I've never seen the point of these INSANELY eye-wateringly hot sauces that some people drown their food in. You could be eating an array of fagbutts and used chewing gum if its smothered in "Texan Yee-Haw x10 strength Pure Hagman" and not realise it, so whats the point if you can't even taste what you're eating ? I've seen people put habenero sauce on LOBSTER ffs. I mean come on.

Tesco did a particularly delicious medium strength chilli buffalo wing sauce that I forget the name of, which was naturally discontinued, as is the way with most things I really like (see also lamb & mint Brannigans). But I'm a big fan of mixing and experimenting. Celery is the most boring veg in the world - BUT...grate some danish blue cheese into a bowl, mix with mayo, lemon juice, paprika and a dash of worcester sauce, and then dip with some salty celery, and you will have an orgasm in your mouth. Not that kind, but you get my point.

I'm rambling.

It's the heat that is simply addictive. I crave for hot spicy stuff more than any other food. I love the feeling/buzz you get from something that heats up your insides

I actually get annoyed if i try a new curry house and there vindaloo is like a korma. To me it's money down the drain.. Of course it still needs to be tasty. Just because it's hot it doesn't mean you don't get all the flavours. I consider myself a curry connoisseur. I have a curry once a week from my local takeaway. Even my local can be a hit and miss sometimes. I suppose it depends what chef is on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's the heat that is simply addictive. I crave for hot spicy stuff more than any other food. I love the feeling/buzz you get from something that heats up your insides

I actually get annoyed if i try a new curry house and there vindaloo is like a korma. To me it's money down the drain.. Of course it still needs to be tasty. Just because it's hot it doesn't mean you don't get all the flavours. I consider myself a curry connoisseur. I have a curry once a week from my local takeaway. Even my local can be a hit and miss sometimes. I suppose it depends what chef is on.

Curry I get, because its supposed to be spicy. Madras is about my limit (albeit I accept they do vary), but on the whole its got the hotness/flavour ratio about right for me. Anything north of that is just a sweaty ordeal.

But I do a lot of BBQ. I'll marianade raw chicken in a home made spicy BBQ sauce for 24 hours before grilling, and if people want to then drench it in some insanely hot chilli sauce from a squeezy bottle then I have no problem, each to their own. But its not for me. I guess I just can't handle it if its TOO hot, because it destroys every other flavour.

Oh, and on that note - who actually enjoys a peppercorn sauce on a prime piece of steak ? FFS, the steak IS the flavour, not what you drench it with. Chips are bland, thats why you need ketchup/mayo/vinegar on top. But steak ? Bloody hell.

And on another note - anyone who has steak "well done" is a fool. Blimey, this gets me going.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Curry I get, because its supposed to be spicy. Madras is about my limit (albeit I accept they do vary), but on the whole its got the hotness/flavour ratio about right for me. Anything north of that is just a sweaty ordeal.

But I do a lot of BBQ. I'll marianade raw chicken in a home made spicy BBQ sauce for 24 hours before grilling, and if people want to then drench it in some insanely hot chilli sauce from a squeezy bottle then I have no problem, each to their own. But its not for me. I guess I just can't handle it if its TOO hot, because it destroys every other flavour.

Oh, and on that note - who actually enjoys a peppercorn sauce on a prime piece of steak ? FFS, the steak IS the flavour, not what you drench it with. Chips are bland, thats why you need ketchup/mayo/vinegar on top. But steak ? Bloody hell.

And on another note - anyone who has steak "well done" is a fool. Blimey, this gets me going.

sounds lush, what bbq? ive gone full on Kamado and there's no turning back

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

I love BBQ food also but don't have the facilities for it sadly. Have you tried dong jerk chicken on a BBQ ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
sounds lush, what bbq? ive gone full on Kamado and there's no turning back

2121SFB-1_Studio-Front.jpg

Char-Griller Smoker. I can put a rack of ribs in that side-chamber over some hickory smoke wood chips for 4 hours, and the meat is falling off the bone. Possibly one of the best things I have ever bought.

You can say that last sentence in pure redneck as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here