Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that remind you of your parents

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8aU7fXDiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxzBCknAYn4

One from the day of their marriage and one from the day of my adoption. Both came to mind. I inherited a love of Val Doonican from the albums they had. Not hip but I don't care.

My mother was Irish and came over to England as a nurse in the 30s so anything Irish eg Val was very popular in our house. Worryingly it meant that I used to know the words to Delaney’s Donkey and Paddy McGinty’s Goat!(Always comes in useful though!)

My Dad liked little in the way of popular music but did like Judith Durham’s voice

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any Frank Sinatra shit. Next door neighbours were even worse, they were into Jim Reeves FFS! I Hear The Sound Of Distant Drums? Not bloody distant enough for my liking :angry:

And... RELAX :smokin:

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My mother was Irish and came over to England as a nurse in the 30s so anything Irish eg Val was very popular in our house. Worryingly it meant that I used to know the words to Delaney’s Donkey and Paddy McGinty’s Goat!(Always comes in useful though!)

My Dad liked little in the way of popular music but did like Judith Durham’s voice

We had all of those as well as The Batchelors greatest hits and every single Frankie Vaughn ever made!
:lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Never Went To Church - The Streets
Strongest Person I know - The Streets

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My mum (so many car journeys being forced to listen to Chris De Burgh)

My dad

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Great nostalgia thread this Icy. I actually have come to realise that although I still love all the stuff from my youth my Dad did know a thing or two about music. This is one of the Seekers biggest hits and is from their 50th anniversary concert. Many voices deteriorate as singers get older but this girl still belts out a great tune imo. You were right Dad - miss you both

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Any Frank Sinatra shit. Next door neighbours were even worse, they were into Jim Reeves FFS! I Hear The Sound Of Distant Drums? Not bloody distant enough for my liking :angry:

And... RELAX :smokin:

Ha ha my mum had I Love You Because by Jim Reeves played as we said goodbye at the Crematorium.
My Dad didn't listen to a lot of music and wasn't really into the rebel anti British stuff like most of the Irish but he did like The Beatles and Roy Orbison.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
My Mum loved this from when she was an evacuee from Portsmouth during the war, played it at her funeral. A cracking Big Band number

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My Mum loved this from when she was an evacuee from Portsmouth during the war, played it at her funeral. A cracking Big Band number

I remember back in the 70's the club had a big band on the pitch before one of the games at The Goldstone playing that for Alan Mullery's birthday as it was his favourite Glenn Miller tune.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My parents are still alive.

My Dad was a voracious lover of music - Buddy Holly, Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, a bit of classical, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, so many others. What to choose?

My Mum likes that innocent era just before the Beatles and Stones.

Her mum, RIP, loved this so much in her later years. I find it hard to play this, partly as it’s about man’s destruction of the nature:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Reading this thread makes me feel very old.

My mother’s favourites were Nat King Cole, and Johnny Mathis. My Dad liked all sorts of music including Al Bowlly, Glen Miller, military music & classical.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Wow this is too hard.
Pretty much grew up with 50s and 60s music on non stop from 0800 > late at night every day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here