Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] HELP: Easiest, Cheapest and Safest Way to Unlock a Samsung Phone

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I want to unlock a Samsung S9 which is currently locked to the O2 network.

The phone is no longer on a contract and the previous owner is also no longer an O2 customer which might make it more difficult.

I know the previous owner so they are able to contact O2 on my behalf if necessary but as I said they are no longer a customer; so not sure if that presents a problem.

What's the best, cheapest and safest way that anyone can recommend (from experience ideally).

I've looked online and it says some of the third party enablers can be a bit dodgy as they install malware while others can be expensive and ask for further payments. Seems a bit of a minefield.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The previous owner should be able to ask O2 to unlock it assuming they are out of contract or whatever

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The previous owner should be able to ask O2 to unlock it assuming they are out of contract or whatever

is the correct answer for an expensive phone. codes work too but theres a smell about them. wouldnt download any software to phone or PC, not needed.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can you buy a cheap PAYG O2 sim, stick it in the phone then get O2 to unlock it for you?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

This. If they were is a customer it would be free but now they're not there will be a charge. Alternatively take it to a high street shop that unlocks - just as long as they've been there a while you will be fine. For example I've used the one down Trafalgar Street in Brighton a number of times in the past - don't know if it's survived Covid though.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Throw it in the bin. Been trying to unlock a Samsung for four months since Virgin changed from EE to Vodaphone to piggy back their services. Gave up yesterday and ordered a new phone.
As proof I did ask same question back in April. Had my sim in my wifes phone (takes two sim cards) during lock down.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Throw it in the bin. Been trying to unlock a Samsung for four months since Virgin changed from EE to Vodaphone to piggy back their services. Gave up yesterday and ordered a new phone.
As proof I did ask same question back in April. Had my sim in my wifes phone (takes two sim cards) during lock down.

Family had two Samsung phones from Tesco, which piggy backs O2. They were very helpful and did everything they could to try and unlock the phones without success. Their advice was to bin them. They replaced one of the phones with an upgraded refurbished phone. So, wish you luck but wouldn't wanna be ya!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Well, that was easier than I'd anticipated. Went to ee shop, they replaced my sim so i could use the nano size in new phone to try and hey presto it worked. If it hadnt i could have reconverted nano sim to micro sim and put back in old phone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here