Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Copy-write law?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
My pal is a decal designer and I had the idea to get the pic with maupay crying with #teamslikebrighton as a sticker for the car window C576F744-1E17-49AC-AE6D-B8E28DD30475.png she says I might need permission for use etc what say you good folk?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You would need permission of the photographer and/or their employer, ie the owner of the image

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
You would need permission of the photographer and/or their employer, ie the owner of the image

Wouldn’t you only need permission if the owner of the pic spotted it, or was told about it and complained. At which time you could just take it down?
Or am I being terribly naive?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you're talking about a single sticker, just for you, in your car- you'll be fine.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'd copyright the word copy-write. It might catch on.

As for the question, forget it. Players' image rights will be protected by the club.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wouldn’t you only need permission if the owner of the pic spotted it, or was told about it and complained. At which time you could just take it down?

naive. its like saying youve only broken the law if you get caught.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

That's not how copyright law works. Otherwise you could argue that you can shoplift and just as long as you handed back if the security guard spotted you then it's OK.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
naive. its like saying youve only broken the law if you get caught.

That's not how copyright law works. Otherwise you could argue that you can shoplift and just as long as you handed back if the security guard spotted you then it's OK.

I would agree if you mass produced then flogged them, but one little sticker for personal use?
Am I breaking laws having this profile picture of a super seagull stolen from the internet?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
You could just ask the owner of the photo? If you say that it’s just for a personal use and you just wanted their permission, and that you just want to put that specific text next to it, they may be happy to let you use it for free. The worst they could do is say no.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I would agree if you mass produced then flogged them, but one little sticker for personal use?
Am I breaking laws having this profile picture of a super seagull stolen from the internet?

yes. but a blind eye is turned to such infringment.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Doesn't matter if it's for personal use or not, if it has copyright then you can't use it without permission, or in some instances paying for it. The chance of getting caught with a single sticker is slim to not at all but the law doesn't work on the chance of being caught. The copyright owner might not care if it's a one off but it's still breaking the law.

As for your profile picture, if it has copyright protection and you don't have permission to use it, then, yes, you are breaking the law. The chance of you getting caught is slim though.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Interestingly someone owns the phrase "Love Bite", I found this out and it cost thousands!

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
Surely this would only be an issue if you were to sell it as a product. For personal use, things like this are fine. Whack it on a T-shirt even. But once you sell the T-shirt, that would be breaking the law.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here