Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
He does deserve it of course, but he's captaining his ever strengthening hometown club in the Premier League. He's adored by everyone and is, in my opinion at least, the greatest Brighton legend of all time. He is an absolute joy to watch. That is enough for anyone! Don't do it Lewis! :tantrum:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
It would be like one of your kids leaving home, but you have to let them go eventually

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Realistically, if we get paid £40m for him, then it's the right deal for the club and the right deal for the player. He has ambitions to win things and he's a good enough centre back to do so. Chelsea offer him Champions League football and no doubt he'd be in the team. The question is often whether a player bought by a top 6 club will actually play, but Dunk to Chelsea makes perfect sense. He's better than what they have, he'll start playing regularly for England (and in a season where a European Championships is at the end of). I wouldn't expect him to turn down such a huge opportunity.

But I am concerned about who replaces him as our captain. I don't see a single captain in the squad other than Duffy, who appears to have a foot out the door (not by choice) and Stephens (who's place in the team is tenuous at best).

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Deserves it.

With Veltman, Clarke, White etc we have enough depth, only issue is EPL experience, especially if Duffy goes (which I would support). We’ll be fine especially if we can get a striker in with some of the dosh

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Realistically, if we get paid £40m for him, then it's the right deal for the club and the right deal for the player. He has ambitions to win things and he's a good enough centre back to do so. Chelsea offer him Champions League football and no doubt he'd be in the team. The question is often whether a player bought by a top 6 club will actually play, but Dunk to Chelsea makes perfect sense. He's better than what they have, he'll start playing regularly for England (and in a season where a European Championships is at the end of). I wouldn't expect him to turn down such a huge opportunity.

But I am concerned about who replaces him as our captain. I don't see a single captain in the squad other than Duffy, who appears to have a foot out the door (not by choice) and Stephens (who's place in the team is tenuous at best).

Lallana will captain the side when Dunk leaves

We’ve stayed up by the skin of our teeth (people really have got carried away by the dead rubber win at Burnley) and this would be a bad move, Webster is still frail and the others unproven at this ferocious level

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As I said on another thread about Dunk, he really would be a devastating loss to us for many reasons and I would feel a lot less confident about next season.

From his point of view I couldn't begrudge it though and it makes sense. Pay rise, champions league, much increased England chances in the season before a tournament and boyhood club.

Also, I am expecting big things from Chelsea in the next few seasons with the signings they're making in addition to world class players they already have in Kante, Pulisic etc so he could easily end up as a big part of a premier league winning team. In fact, I think he could make all the difference to them like VVD did at Liverpool, I rate him that highly.

I wouldn't entertain anything less than £50 million though.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We’ve stayed up by the skin of our teeth (people really have got carried away by the dead rubber win at Burnley) and this would be a bad move, Webster is still frail and the others unproven at this ferocious level

We rightly stood in his way when he wanted to go to Fulham, don’t think he’d forgive us if we did it to a champions league team

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Still 4 points even without the ‘dead rubber’ win.

Don’t think anyone is getting carried away..... just respect for a player who at the right price deserves a chance to play at the highest level.

No one is pushing him out of the door, just a realization that for the right price it could be something that happens.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Deserves it.

With Veltman, Clarke, White etc we have enough depth, only issue is EPL experience, especially if Duffy goes (which I would support). We’ll be fine especially if we can get a striker in with some of the dosh

We have decent cover but Dunk is unique (for us) in his last ditch defending - especially goal line clearances. I've lost count over the years of how many times he has saved us conceding a goal and points by being "in the way".

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

But Ben Whites played for Leeds, surely that's a higher level than any division in Europe ???

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

Make a point about potential defensive frailties by all means, but we were safe with plenty to spare

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Chelsea won't pay £40m for him

And much as I think Dunky is a superb player. I don't think anyone would pay that for him.

It will actually be interesting to see how Covid-19 and it's impact around the World whether it drives Transfer Fees down a bit or not. If it does then you are looking at £25m - If it doesn't affect them then I think you are looking at £30m - £35m

We don't know for sure if it is a valid interest from Chelsea but if it is then the fact that Dunk himself would be keen then that gives Chelsea a good negotiating platform. They know they could get other top Defenders from around the World for £30m plus - They would just look elsewhere.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

And much as I think Dunky is a superb player. I don't think anyone would pay that for him.

It will actually be interesting to see how Covid-19 and it's impact around the World whether it drives Transfer Fees down a bit or not. If it does then you are looking at £25m - If it doesn't affect them then I think you are looking at £30m - £35m

We don't know for sure if it is a valid interest from Chelsea but if it is then the fact that Dunk himself would be keen then that gives Chelsea a good negotiating platform. They know they could get other top Defenders from around the World for £30m plus - They would just look elsewhere.

City have set the benchmark with £41m for a relegated CB

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
We rightly stood in his way when he wanted to go to Fulham, don’t think he’d forgive us if we did it to a champions league team

The hierarchy have consistently said that they would never stand in the way of a player moving to further himself if the finances were right. They did it with Ulloa who is now a Premier League champion. I'm sure the carrot of being allowed to progress is part of the selling point of the club. If the money is there, can't see that changing.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We have decent cover but Dunk is unique (for us) in his last ditch defending - especially goal line clearances. I've lost count over the years of how many times he has saved us conceding a goal and points by being "in the way".

I agree, this will not be painless

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
City have set the benchmark with £41m for a relegated CB

He is about 5 years younger though - They could get a good 5 years out of Nathan Ake and then still sell him on at a profit. Also - Chelsea won't be prepared to pay what Man City pay

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

You'll be surprised. Lampard and Chelsea love English players these days. Adds quite a premium to the price.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here