Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I haven't read a single comment on here, including the opening salvo. However, I have never felt more comfortable about Dunky going as I do now. The quality we have at centre back is astounding. Ben White, player of the year at promoted Leeds, Matt Clarke, player of the year at Derby. Plus our players here already. I would be sad to see Dunky go but if he went for a progressive club with European credentials and at a good price, well, we'd have to say he's been a loyal and faithful servant, and we could get anywhere between 40-60 mill for him. If he goes it doesn't weaken the squad. However I would like him to stay.

It does. He was head and shoulders above everyone else at the back this year. He held the defence together in the first half/two thirds of the season, covering the gaps and the mistakes made by the rest. I don't think it's too hyperbolic to say that without him we would have been in serious danger of relegation.

White and Clarke are both untested at this level, they might step up as easily as Dunk and Duffy did or they may be like Webster and take some time to adjust like Webster did.

Until we have players the proven equal or better of Dunk I don't want to see him go. Of course if he does go then I'd wish him all the best and thank him for being one of the best players(and the absolute best defender) I'd seen play in a Brighton shirt.

Luckily at the moment there is no evidence that he is going and this thread is the reverse of the Leeds thread where instead of Leeds trying to convince themselves that a player is going to stay with them we're seemingly doing our best to convince ourselves that a player of ours is leaving.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Until we have players the proven equal or better of Dunk I don't want to see him go. Of course if he does go then I'd wish him all the best and thank him for being one of the best players(and the absolute best defender) I'd seen play in a Brighton shirt.

Are you too young to have seen Mark Lawrenson play in defence in a Brighton shirt?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Are you too young to have seen Mark Lawrenson play in defence in a Brighton shirt?

I have to agree, Dunk is a truly great servant to BHA and has played well since he has become a fixture in the team, but Mark Lawrenson was different gravy.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
I have to agree, Dunk is a truly great servant to BHA and has played well since he has become a fixture in the team, but Mark Lawrenson was different gravy.

Mark Lawrenson was world-class imo. Vicente too, but he hardly played. The interesting one is who is second behind ML. I've always thought Steve Foster but not sure now as Lewis Dunk has got better year-on-year and last season was just superb.

Foster or Dunk, what do you think?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Dunk going would be at least one step back but with White settled, we could take at least two steps forward if he is as good as a lot of people think.

We’ll then have a player who might rival ML as our best defender ever.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

I am old enough to have seen both. I don't think its that simple to compare across time , the modern game is a lot faster and more is asked of players. Lawrenson was silky agreed but Dunk has put in performance after performance over more years. I also think we are seeing someone whose attacking flair has been reduced by coaching. If I measure total contribution then its Dunk. If we are measuring skill then more difficult to separate out.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I saw Lawrenson play for us for 4 years between the ages of 19 and 23 IIRC. I believe that, at his peak, he was probably better than Dunk. Unfortunately, I don't think he reached his peak until after we sold him. We've just watched Dunk in his tenth season with us (11, if you want to be pedantic) at his peak, in a league which is faster, more skillfull and far harder than the one Lawrenson played in 40 years ago.

Dunk for me.

All about opinions isn't it :wink:

Don't want him to go, but if he does, let's hope he gets Champions League football and his rightful place in the England squad.

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I saw Lawrenson play for us for 4 years between the ages of 19 and 23 IIRC. I believe that, at his peak, he was probably better than Dunk. Unfortunately, I don't think he reached his peak until after we sold him. I believe we are now watching Dunk at his peak, in a league which is better than the one Lawrenson played in 40 years ago.

Dunk for me.

All about opinions isn't it :wink:

Don't want him to go, but if he does, let's hope he gets Champions League football and his rightful place in the England squad.

It certainly is about opinions. Dunk for me has improved tremendously and is now one of the best centre backs that have played for Brighton. Lawrenson was a thoroughbred and it was a joy to watch him in his spell at Brighton. His transfer to Liverpool who were competing in Europe against top level footballers improved his game to a higher level. He was regarded by many as a brilliant footballer. Dunk has a narrower legion of admirers however if he does leave for Chelsea that could improve significantly. Although I could see Dunk doing well at Chelsea I cannot see him being the colossus succes Lawro achieved at Anfield. All this has to be measured against the different era's of football.

Lawro for me.

Just.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Luckily at the moment there is no evidence that he is going

All joking aside, their is one price of evidence. The complete lack of our captain with the new kit in the club shot. All the promo photos missing our best and most popular player raises a flag to me.

My take - there probably has been interest from another club, maybe even an enquiry at the start of the window. But things may have changed. Tony won’t roll over for a soft deal, and/or the other club felt priced out and moved to another target.

The longer this goes on is good news for us that nothing is happening. I don’t want our captain to leave, but equally if there was a fair deal for the club and he wanted his huge payoff and England chances, I would not begrudge him at all.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
All joking aside, their is one price of evidence. The complete lack of our captain with the new kit in the club shot. All the promo photos missing our best and most popular player raises a flag to me.

My take - there probably has been interest from another club, maybe even an enquiry at the start of the window. But things may have changed. Tony won’t roll over for a soft deal, and/or the other club felt priced out and moved to another target.

The longer this goes on is good news for us that nothing is happening. I don’t want our captain to leave, but equally if there was a fair deal for the club and he wanted his huge payoff and England chances, I would not begrudge him at all.

Yeah that is odd and may point to interest from other clubs but then again maybe it doesn't. Maybe he's renegotiating his deal and there's a dispute over image rights? I don't know but IMO it doesn't merit a 28 page thread acting as if it's a foregone conclusion. When there's a solid buzz in the press and media about him going then we can say our goodbyes until then I'm going to assume he's still our captain and most important player.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Bale hasn’t apparently bothered learning much Spanish. Respect to him though for saying if I’m not playing I’m not travelling. Zidane must have loved that one [emoji38]ol:
I remember watching something around he was transferred to Real Madrid and they said he had been learning Spanish for 3 years as he always wanted to play there.

Who knows......

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

And the SkySports transfer tracker currently displays 58 days remaining before the transfer window closes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It certainly is about opinions. Dunk for me has improved tremendously and is now one of the best centre backs that have played for Brighton. Lawrenson was a thoroughbred and it was a joy to watch him in his spell at Brighton. His transfer to Liverpool who were competing in Europe against top level footballers improved his game to a higher level. He was regarded by many as a brilliant footballer. Dunk has a narrower legion of admirers however if he does leave for Chelsea that could improve significantly. Although I could see Dunk doing well at Chelsea I cannot see him being the colossus succes Lawro achieved at Anfield. All this has to be measured against the different era's of football.

Lawro for me.

Just.

Lawro was the business from the moment we signed him, even though I was just a kid I can still recall him signing with Williams. Great in the air, decent pace, a brilliant defender and accomplished passing.

Won a bucketload of the greatest honours in the game.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Mark Lawrenson was world-class imo. Vicente too, but he hardly played. The interesting one is who is second behind ML. I've always thought Steve Foster but not sure now as Lewis Dunk has got better year-on-year and last season was just superb.

Foster or Dunk, what do you think?

Foster wouldn't cope with modern football / VAR / TV reviews and so on. The amount of times he would get away with the subtle use of his elbows to dig into attackers' midriffs and other 'dark arts' would be significantly reduced nowadays!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Foster wouldn't cope with modern football / VAR / TV reviews and so on. The amount of times he would get away with the subtle use of his elbows to dig into attackers' midriffs and other 'dark arts' would be significantly reduced nowadays!

But he’d adapt, like all older players would.
Foster was a striker at Portsmouth, so it’s fair to say he was able to adapt to different needs.

However, perhaps whether the modern day footballer could adjust to playing then would be interesting.

Dunk has struggled against aggressive players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here