Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hard disagree on that. Abraham has huge potential and could have massive resale value, Giroud’s days of big money transfers are gone, I also couldn’t see the Albion investing in another veteran target man. I could very well be wrong, but I’m not sure that Potter shares the fans obsession in having a target man, surely Murray would have got more minutes if that was the case?

Fairy nuff. You disagree.. I don't necessarily see Giroud as just a 'target man' - just a very good striker. One who could do for our strikers what we hope Lallana will do for our midfield; a marquee signing.
My view - not yours it seems. Well, that's about as far as the argument can go, I guess, isn't it. :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I would be very sad to see Lewis go, but you can’t stand in a players way, and we have done well to hold on to him as long as we have.
He has been nothing short of a model professional in all his time here, a true legend a terrific leader and servant to the Albion.
I have nothing but gratitude and admiration for him and wish him well if he does depart.

Makes me wonder if first dibs weren’t agreed in December and Lamptey was possibly part of the agreement.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Interesting TB quotes that we have good players of which some will not be here come the new season. If a deal is forthcoming for Dunk I can see it as the beginning of the end of the old members. The days could be numbered for Duffy, Stephens, Gross, Propper, March etc.

Should add I can see us going for a few more experienced PL old guard the likes of Lallana blended with cheaper youngster, allowing us to offer the salary to the experienced while holding back on the youth wages.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Yes I agree.

If and it is an if those itk have often posted that a number of the old guard have written in their contracts that their wages increase with in line with any others that get better deals, then that could now be holding us back and time for a clear out. I would sooner see us pay higher wages but less transfer fees for top seasoned pros blended with our youth and perhaps a top earning quality frontman or offensive midfielder.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I would be very sad to see Lewis go, but you can’t stand in a players way, and we have done well to hold on to him as long as we have.
He has been nothing short of a model professional in all his time here, a true legend a terrific leader and servant to the Albion.
I have nothing but gratitude and admiration for him and wish him well if he does depart.

Makes me wonder if first dibs weren’t agreed in December and Lamptey was possibly part of the agreement.

I have seen this suggested elsewhere, but I simply don't believe it. Lamptey only had 6 months left on his contract, and reports suggested that Chelsea did everything in their power to try to hold onto him. There would have been compensation due when his contract expired, but I'm sure that was factored into the price that we paid for him (with a premium on top).

It would have been bad business on the part of the Albion to relent on our most valuable asset for what was (at that time at least) an untested player in the Premier League.

We rightly stood in his way when he wanted to go to Fulham, don’t think he’d forgive us if we did it to a champions league team

I get that but when do contracts get broken because players demand it?

Are we really that relaxed about a deal that would see us not get half of what Leicester negotiated for Maguire? Or would we be seen as the soft touch mugs of the EPL? Chelsea are a loaded club, they pay the appropriate price for by far our best player or GTFO

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have seen this suggested elsewhere, but I simply don't believe it. Lamptey only had 6 months left on his contract, and reports suggested that Chelsea did everything in their power to try to hold onto him. There would have been compensation due when his contract expired, but I'm sure that was factored into the price that we paid for him (with a premium on top).

It would have been bad business on the part of the Albion to relent on our most valuable asset for what was (at that time at least) an untested player in the Premier League.

Agreed in principle, however it could be looked on as a you scratch my back kinda deal.

We did get a cracking deal with Lamptey no question.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Agreed in principle, however it could be looked on as a you scratch my back kinda deal.

We did get a cracking deal with Lamptey no question.

No it doesn't at all. He refused a new deal as he was 3rd choice.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No brainer really. players are fluid and you just have to appreciate them when they are here and sell them if their stock value is high. No point being too sentimental about them.

Lampty was a good deal, and they may give us a good loan of another next season. I think with Potter and our set up we are quite an attract club to trade with. Next season will be the real test for it though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lewis Dunk to Chelsea ...............

The Lamptey conspiracy theory is as follows:

1. Lamptey was determined to leave Chelsea.
2. A number of clubs met Chelsea’s valuation.
3. Chelsea only accepted only one bid (ours)
4. In return, there was an understanding put in place that if Chelsea met our valuation on Dunk in the Summer and if he wanted to leave, we’d accept their bid for him and no one else’s (I suspect the amount we want was mooted in January so there will be no bidding war, Chelsea know what they need to pay).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If Lewis goes to a top 6 club, I can only congratulate him and thank him for his astonishingly long and successful service to the Albion. I’d prefer him to stay, but if he has the chance of CL football and a good chance of domestic silverware, it would be entirely sensible to take that chance.

Perhaps Chelsea could buy Hazard back and we could do a straight swap. Hell, I’d even waive the top-up fee.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Outstanding club servant who deserves a shot at a top club and all that goes with that including a much better chance of more England caps. Can’t begrudge him the move at all if it does happen and will wish him well........no doubt it would mean an initial weakening of our defence but we seem to have an endless supply of CB talent so we’ll cope. The fee will be top dollar (can’t be less than Ake at £41m for starters) and hopefully used wisely. As for leaders, Lallana and Veltman seem to fit the bill pretty well.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/03/chel...ale-13075212/?ito=article.amp.share.top.email

Metro suggesting that Chelsea would have to sell first.

"The report also claims that Chelsea are looking to overhaul their defensive options and the club are willing to listen to offers for Kurt Zouma, Andreas Christensen, Emerson Palmieri and Marcos Alonso"

And even then the proceeds would first have to fund the purchase of Chilwell for £70/£80m, and then a goalkeeper (Pope) for c £40m. Expect that Lewis is third on the list. In the current climate this may not happen.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As for leaders, Lallana and Veltman seem to fit the bill pretty well.

People fail to mention Murray when talking about plugging the Dunk leadership hole.

He is contracted next year and his leadership qualities from the bench, in the dressing room and in training are absolutely key to this. He could well be club captain if Dunk leaves with a deputy (such as the pair you mention) starting with the armband in most matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here