Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] arsenal v chelsea final

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Not a supporter of either but why was there no VAR when the Chelsea keeper handled the ball out of the box?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
asked and answered. replays showed ball was inside. i dont know if incredible skill or luck to pull that off.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are a lot more VAR checks than a lot of people seem to realise. If the game doesn't stop and the VAR logo pop up on the big screen, a lot of people seem to assume there was no check. The game is constantly being reviewed by the video refs as it is going on. If they think there is an incident, they'll tell the ref and in the next break of play he'll wait for their decision. That's when we get the big screen logo. But quite often they will complete their review, decide there's no infringement, so the game carries on and we don't get any signs.

Personally, I've never been one that felt we needed to be told what VAR was up to - that it would be obvious from the Ref's actions what had happened (his gesticulations confirming offside or handball in the build up to a goal that gets chalked off, etc). That it is the official's opinion of things, so we don't have any need to see the video that he's looking at, etc. But I appreciate I'm in the minority on that (or perhaps it's a quiet majority?). But perhaps it would help if the logo flashed up on the big screen/tv companies put an onscreen graphic on, to note every review, not just those that result in a pause at a break in play.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But perhaps it would help if the logo flashed up on the big screen/tv companies put an onscreen graphic on, to note every review, not just those that result in a pause at a break in play.

That works for the TV audience. But how about those watching live in the stadium (when we're allowed to again obvs). I think there should be a pretty girl holding a "VAR" sign who walks around the pitch to let the crowd know. A bit like they (used to?) do between rounds at boxing matches. If the VAR reviews come thick and fast, they'd have to jog around the pitch to keep up. Which is another benefit.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That works for the TV audience. But how about those watching live in the stadium (when we're allowed to again obvs). I think there should be a pretty girl holding a "VAR" sign who walks around the pitch to let the crowd know. A bit like they (used to?) do between rounds at boxing matches. If the VAR reviews come thick and fast, they'd have to jog around the pitch to keep up. Which is another benefit.

I sit just behind the commentary position at The Amex. They often have two screens on during the game, one for broadcast and one for VAR directly. It makes the experience of VAR in the ground entirely tolerable. How it hasn't migrated to the big screens yet is beyond me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

For goodness sake, it's the 21st century.

There should be a pretty boy as well. And other genders should be represented, too.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I was adamant he was out the box when I was watching on the BBC but they didn't even show a replay which I found a bit odd, especially when the commentators weren't sure if it was outside the box or not.

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham

Bring back the man with the Withdean wager board. GET THAT BOARD DOWN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here