Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What Albion signing got you most excited?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
As per the title, what Albion signing got you most excited? Why were you so excited by it and how did it turn out?

I must admit, I was pretty excited when we signed Diego Arismendi as he had cost a lot of money and, on paper, looked flair. Turns out he was not up to much.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
CMS for sure.

Back in champ , new stadium , showing intent with massive money for us , beating bigger clubs for the signing

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't mean to be a pedant but I think you mean singings.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Re-signing Zamora five years ago was pretty special. Vicente was, of course, also pretty exciting.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Mark Lawrenson.

mullerysignings.jpg

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bobby Smith. One brilliant season forever etched into my memory. Was England’s centre forward only two years previous and one of the country’s top top strikers. Not only did he score goals and make them for others, he gave the other players a kick up the backside and they were suddenly world beaters. The crowds flooded back for what was division four football - I doubt if many clubs in the bottom division have ever had crowds like that. Came back the following season 2 stone over what was already overweight and was lost to us forever.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Brian Horton, Knew from that signing we were on our way to the old 1st division.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Nope, not end of thread.

Vicente was very exciting for obvious reasons, but nothing can beat the excitement of Bobby Z signing permanently.

In his loan spell, it seemed like we were the only ones that knew that we had uncovered a very special player.

Even in retrospect, it's mad how we managed to get such a top quality young player without any other clubs noticing.

I think time may have dulled the memories of this one. It was such a coup at the time. After a mixed first season at Withdean it really felt like the signing that took us mid table dreamers to title contenders and we'd done it by stealing a diamond out from under the noses of teams higher up the food chain.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Zamora signing permanently was a good shout - you felt like it was the missing piece of the puzzle to get us up that season.

I still think CMS was probably the one that was a bigger buzz at the time - given the amount spent and the fact that we beat Premier League clubs to his signature.

However, for me, I would probably say getting Robbie Savage in given the level we were at at the time, and the level of player he was, was very exciting - and totally unexpected and out of the blue. We all know how it ended up...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was abroad and not on line at all when we signed Vicente. It was a fait accompli by the time I found out about it, CMS was very exciting but for me it was Ali J and the classic flight tracker thread. I was also pretty excited by Mickey Thomas. Fair to say that all three ended up being pretty disappointing :down:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Vicente for me

the transfer SAGA, him being spotted in a restaurant with Gus whipped me up into a frenzy

I couldn't quite believe we'd signed him

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a kid, Jimmy Case.

DOn't think I've got excited about a signing since really, although the first signing of BZ was good.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Bobby Smith. One brilliant season forever etched into my memory. Was England’s centre forward only two years previous and one of the country’s top top strikers. Not only did he score goals and make them for others, he gave the other players a kick up the backside and they were suddenly world beaters. The crowds flooded back for what was division four football - I doubt if many clubs in the bottom division have ever had crowds like that. Came back the following season 2 stone over what was already overweight and was lost to us forever.

I was going to post that but then I reconsidered and decided Brian Clough.

I know it didn't work out, but this was a real statement of intent and we were on the football pages almost every day.

Big times had arrived!

Last edited:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
The likes of Mathew Upson and Wayne Bridge were pretty exciting signings considering where we were as a club at the time. But yes I think they were on loan before any pedants jump on me.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Micky Thomas. Although the excitement quickly turned to disappointment. Jimmy Case, Vicente and Clive Walker signings also got me going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here