Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Food] The Government's Eat Out To Help Out scheme

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wonder how all this aligns with tackling obesity? Grilled chicken and salad šŸ„— please

obviously only offers in supermarkets make you fat.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Tried to day this today and every pub and cafe in the area was full :lol:

Got a country pub booked for tomorrow.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just enjoyed a cracking liver & bacon at Shorely Scrumptious in Worthing that reopened today. (And all for Ā£3.50!)

The proprietor is one of NSC's old timers so if you are on the manor, it's well worth a visit.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It is tax payers money. If you can afford to eat out, then pay the full bill. The restaurants are still getting customers.
Jeremy Hunt has been showing off on Twitter with a Ā£50 discount off a meal costing over Ā£100. The replies are pointing out, his one meal is more than people on Universal Credit get to live on for a week.

I couldn't agree more, effectively another little give away for the middle classes. Many people cannot afford take advantage of this opportunity it would be great to see someone like Jeremy *unt, demonstrate some self awareness, maybe even turn down the discount, if that's even possible.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is a lot of low paid staff in that industry and if this gives it a boost then all well and good

I know what you mean but I don't feel I can use the discount, when I have three friends who have lost their jobs in July. I'm happy to eat out and pay full price to keep the industry going (if that makes sense). I wonder if you can say, don't include it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know what you mean but I don't feel I can use the discount, when I have three friends who have lost their jobs in July. I'm happy to eat out and pay full price to keep the industry going (if that makes sense). I wonder if you can say, don't include it?

The offer is only Mon-Wed in August. One way is to avoid this period and youā€™ll be sure to pay full price.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

But youā€™re helping keep others in jobs by getting out there

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm sure I read somewhere that the " Giant Italian Pepper Mills" exist because if smaller ones were left on each restaurant table, many would be nicked.... You try smuggling a giant one out!

My ex-mother-in-law, who used to work at RSCH A&E, has a very interesting story of a gentleman turning up with one of those giant pepper mills.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I didnā€™t say I wouldnā€™t go, and luckily my birthday is on a Friday.

But that's exactly the point .... you will go out on a Friday no doubt and so pay full price. Traditionally restaurants are quiet on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and so this offer encourages people to go then - especially useful to restaurants as they now have limited seating on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Mrs WS and I are off to Bournemouth next week and will use the offer on all three days. It won't stop us also eating out later in the week when we get back to B&H.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I couldn't agree more, effectively another little give away for the middle classes. Many people cannot afford take advantage of this opportunity it would be great to see someone like Jeremy *unt, demonstrate some self awareness, maybe even turn down the discount, if that's even possible.

its not "for the middle classes" its for the businesses and staff they employ. government could have just dished out some grants to this sector, to sit in bank accounts until a bill came in. this approach ensure staff and upstream supply chains are benefitting, getting cash circulating in the economy. or could have done nothing, that would be the fairest option.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well yes, unless you get Jeremy Hunt and his family on the next table.

Ha ha, yes and very true! Fellow Albion friend visiting Germany and dining at decent but nothing special restaurant was gob smacked when Angela Merckle and a friend (accompanied by special agents) sat at the adjacent table to them couple years ago. Wouldnā€™t happen in England...!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
It is tax payers money. If you can afford to eat out, then pay the full bill. The restaurants are still getting customers.
Jeremy Hunt has been showing off on Twitter with a Ā£50 discount off a meal costing over Ā£100. The replies are pointing out, his one meal is more than people on Universal Credit get to live on for a week.

Covert it couldn't possibly have been me on Saturday? :whistle:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Ha ha, yes and very true! Fellow Albion friend visiting Germany and dining at decent but nothing special restaurant was gob smacked when Angela Merckle and a friend (accompanied by special agents) sat at the adjacent table to them couple years ago. Wouldnā€™t happen in England...!
Depends on where you go. Apparently the Woking branch of Pizza Express gets some interesting people in from time to time... :whistle:

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
If i walk in to Mcd or KFC surely i can walk out with what i bought?

Or is this classed as a takeaway.
We went to McDonaldā€™s yesterday for breakfast, the lady next to the order screens said would you like to take advantage of the 50% discount? I said no, weā€™re taking out thanks...ā€œBut it comes in a bag doesnā€™t itā€ she said ā€œ so make sure you press eat in on the screen when you orderā€
Thanks lady, 2 breakfast meals, 2 waters and two teas for about 7 quid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here