Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Government's Eat Out To Help Out scheme

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It is tax payers money. If you can afford to eat out, then pay the full bill. The restaurants are still getting customers.
Jeremy Hunt has been showing off on Twitter with a £50 discount off a meal costing over £100. The replies are pointing out, his one meal is more than people on Universal Credit get to live on for a week.

Semantics. You don’t say my family and I are going out for meals tonight, do you. You say we’re going out for a meal.

It's not semantics as the discount is per person not per meal so your example doesn't work. Regardless I fail to see why people should not use the deal. So yes, some people can't afford to go out to eat, but that was the case before this deal. That's life I'm afraid. The idea it to stimulate demand and it appears to be working. The restaurant Miss WS works in has seen an explosion of bookings for this week and next. So much so all the staff are getting extra shifts and so are earning more and paying more tax. The economy needs a stimulus - this seems a decent enough one for a reasonable cost that benefits many people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Join the queue :D

Seriously, I think you may be right, If I start taking 25 times my take pre-covid on the first 3 days of the week, I think they will smell a rat.
We open for the first time tomorrow, and, we have had a lot of inquiries over the last week where we’ve been on the premises getting everything ready, and not one has asked if we are partaking in this scheme, so, it’ll either be a flop, or a nice surprise for our customers when they only have to pay 50% of their bill.

Again, all the best and it will be interesting to hear how it’s going.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It is tax payers money. If you can afford to eat out, then pay the full bill. The restaurants are still getting customers.
Jeremy Hunt has been showing off on Twitter with a £50 discount off a meal costing over £100. The replies are pointing out, his one meal is more than people on Universal Credit get to live on for a week.

People can spend the rest of their days pointing out the inequalities of life. This is a positive thing though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People can spend the rest of their days pointing out the inequalities of life. This is a positive thing though.

Well yes, unless you get Jeremy Hunt and his family on the next table.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
It's not semantics as the discount is per person not per meal so your example doesn't work. Regardless I fail to see why people should not use the deal. So yes, some people can't afford to go out to eat, but that was the case before this deal. That's life I'm afraid. The idea it to stimulate demand and it appears to be working. The restaurant Miss WS works in has seen an explosion of bookings for this week and next. So much so all the staff are getting extra shifts and so are earning more and paying more tax. The economy needs a stimulus - this seems a decent enough one for a reasonable cost that benefits many people.

This. Definitely.

It's also surely a way to help rebuild confidence at going back out to restaurants; once people see the changes (tables more spaced out, the changes to how cutlery is provided, the changes to condiments including no more massive comedy pepper grinders in Italian restaurants, etc., etc.) they may be more inclined moving forward to keep using restaurants once this deal is over. Sometimes an incentive is needed to get people trying something...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If I didn't have to sit in, I would take this up. As it stands, I won't.

I've booked tomorrow tea-time.
I too would be very uncomfortable sitting in a packed restaurant [no masks and compromised social distancing], so I'm going to sit out in the [spacious] beer-garden to eat and drink [and enjoy the evening sun - yeah, right].

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Like a restauranteur said on the local news last night: Wednesday is the new Saturday, Tuesday is the new Friday.

Why would you NOT fill yer boots for a heavily discounted deal at your favourite eaterie(s)? Plenty to choose from to suit all pockets shirley?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why are some restaurants signed up to this but not advertising it? Surely not a bit of 'fraud' ?

Really keen on somewhere who is very social media heavy but not a single mention they are participating, despite being listed.

Avoiding the masses?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm sat in a Harris & Hoole now - not impoverished I know, but I wanted to buy a gloomy painting from a local artist that was on their wall - and having a cheese on toast and soya latte for £3.38. Not bad, and I'll check if tomorrow the vegan restaurant doen the road is doing the same, with a vast lasagne to follow if so.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just unwittingly (at first) had my first experience of the scheme. Edgcumbe's Coffee in Ford. Me and friend ordered food and drink - whispered to him that I thought they might be undercharging us as it seemed far too low. By about 50%, in fact.

Nope. It was great - no fanfare, no discussion, no signs anywhere of the policy, simple.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This. Definitely.

It's also surely a way to help rebuild confidence at going back out to restaurants; once people see the changes (tables more spaced out, the changes to how cutlery is provided, the changes to condiments including no more massive comedy pepper grinders in Italian restaurants, etc., etc.) they may be more inclined moving forward to keep using restaurants once this deal is over. Sometimes an incentive is needed to get people trying something...
I'm sure I read somewhere that the " Giant Italian Pepper Mills" exist because if smaller ones were left on each restaurant table, many would be nicked.... You try smuggling a giant one out!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

There is a lot of low paid staff in that industry and if this gives it a boost then all well and good

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure I read somewhere that the " Giant Italian Pepper Mills" exist because if smaller ones were left on each restaurant table, many would be nicked.... You try smuggling a giant one out!

I have been accused a few times. There’s always red faces when I point out it’s not a giant pepper mill.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

In my youth, I stole a ca. 18" pepper mill from a restaurant...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here