Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Government's Eat Out To Help Out scheme

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I thought they had the choice but were "urged" to use it to get people spending again.

They don't have to use the scheme at all, but if they do they have to pass the discount on to the customer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Aside from HT's pointing out it isn't necessarily true for all high end places, it might also be that £10 per head off say a cheap Italian is one thing, if you're spending close to £300 on a meal for two then £20 isn't really here or there.

See now that is a very good point that had completely passed me by. Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Aside from HT's pointing out it isn't necessarily true for all high end places, it might also be that £10 per head off say a cheap Italian is one thing, if you're spending close to £300 on a meal for two then £20 isn't really here or there.

Fair point. But many, for example Michelin starred, places have very good value set-price lunch menus. For example Le Gavroche has a 3 course meal with wine, water and coffee for just 72 pounds. Take 10 off that and that’s truly exceptional value. Le Gavroche doesn’t seem to have taken part in this scheme but you get my gist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Pubs are for old men and their whippets round here!

No it's a fair point, may try and find somewhere.

I know that takeaways are not included in this deal but I'm sure that I read if you order the food in-house then you could perhaps change you mind and ask for the food to take out and the discount would still apply. No harm in asking before hand.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
How does the scheme work?
I'm guessing the restaurant knocks off a tenner [per person] from the [food] bill but then claims that back from the government.

My local Marstons are offering 50% off Mon/Tue/Wed during August [similar eh?] but even with a steak and a pudding that's still only about £17, so the tenner off deal would have been better for the punter [me].

Is there any chance they're on the make? In the example above, they'd be knocking £8.50 off my bill but claiming a tenner from the government. The gap widens for the missus as her scampi and chips is only £7.99 - so she gets £4.00 off but the cheeky pub is claiming a tenner. Can't be right shirley?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I'm guessing the restaurant knocks off a tenner [per person] from the [food] bill but then claims that back from the government.

My local Marstons are offering 50% off Mon/Tue/Wed during August [similar eh?] but even with a steak and a pudding that's still only about £17, so the tenner off deal would have been better for the punter [me].

Is there any chance they're on the make? In the example above, they'd be knocking £8.50 off my bill but claiming a tenner from the government. The gap widens for the missus as her scampi and chips is only £7.99 - so she gets £4.00 off but the cheeky pub is claiming a tenner. Can't be right shirley?

It is 50% off and that's what they claim back.

It is also only Mon-Wed in August.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t know the mechanics of this deal but the restaurant charges the full price and deducts 10 from the bill. I presume they will have to present this receipt, clearly showing the 10 reduction, to the HMRC to get the tenner back?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to say I’m very envious of those who can take part in this.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How it works.

You come to my cafe, with 2 friends. You each order a meal and soft drink or beverage. You get charged 50% of the price each. So, if your own bill came to £14 you would pay £7and the Government will reimburse my cafe £7. The scheme is up to the value of £10 per person per meal, therefore if one of your friends had a meal had a meal costing £25, they would pay £15 and I would claim £10 from HMRC.

From the 7th August. I will be able to get the money back, paid straight into my business bank account. It will take about 5 days, and you can only put in 5 claims, up until the 30th September.
I only have to keep a daily record of how much I have to claim, there is no mention on the website of receipts or proving how much you have discounted.
I don’t even think customers have to request the discount, it will be automatically subtracted from your bill.

It could be an invitation to massive fraud, how they will combat this, I have no idea.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How it works.

You come to my cafe, with 2 friends. You each order a meal and soft drink or beverage. You get charged 50% of the price each. So, if your own bill came to £14 you would pay £7and the Government will reimburse my cafe £7. The scheme is up to the value of £10 per person per meal, therefore if one of your friends had a meal had a meal costing £25, they would pay £15 and I would claim £10 from HMRC.

From the 7th August. I will be able to get the money back, paid straight into my business bank account. It will take about 5 days, and you can only put in 5 claims, up until the 30th September.
I only have to keep a daily record of how much I have to claim, there is no mention on the website of receipts or proving how much you have discounted.
I don’t even think customers have to request the discount, it will be automatically subtracted from your bill.

It could be an invitation to massive fraud, how they will combat this, I have no idea.

You can only put in 5 claims? Some mistake shirley? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here