The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What I've noticed so far is that - at least in the area I have searched - most of the higher end restaurants are the ones conspicuous by their absence. Is it that they are better positioned financially to not "need" the help?

I'm trying to work out why a restaurant wouldn't make use of the scheme? Any thoughts?

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
What I've noticed so far is that - at least in the area I have searched - most of the higher end restaurants are the ones conspicuous by their absence. Is it that they are better positioned financially to not "need" the help?

I'm trying to work out why a restaurant wouldn't make use of the scheme? Any thoughts?

No Riff-Raff

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This isn’t the case elsewhere though. I just looked at Hove and Etch, Spotted Pig, Wild Flor, Forager and Cin Cin immediately jumped out as higher end restaurants using this offer. In London many Michelin starred restaurants are also using it.

If I was in Hove right now, I’d be balls deep in this. I think it’s a brilliant life-line to the hospitality sector and I read this Morning Cin Cin are now fully booked all this week.,,,it’s working.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Where do you live?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Just reminded me that we've got our favorite Italian place booked for a week on Wednesday. They were fully booked until then from there start of the scheme. Mind you, they're usually fully booked a month or so in advance anyway.

Useful tool that though, thanks. I'd completely forgotten about the scheme until you brought it up.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

I think some establishments are pocketing the grant because of the money they've lost over lockdown and just charging full prices.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This isn’t the case elsewhere though. I just looked at Hove and Etch, Spotted Pig, Wild Flor, Forager and Cin Cin immediately jumped out as higher end restaurants using this offer. In London many Michelin starred restaurants are also using it.

If I was in Hove right now, I’d be balls deep in this. I think it’s a brilliant life-line to the hospitality sector and I read this Morning Cin Cin are now fully booked all this week.,,,it’s working.
Agreed. It's one thing they've done correctly (probably the only thing) as it can help anyone from someone with a Maccy D's franchise to a Michelin starred joint.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think some establishments are pocketing the grant because of the money they've lost over lockdown and just charging full prices.

firstly, thats the purpose of a grant. secondly, they'll be found out pretty quick if claiming to be offering discount but not.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Moshimo are offering 50% with no limit, ie the same discount as for their membership. Well worth a go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

They will have to increase their menu prices by 10 pound per person to do this though. I admit if you have no idea about a restaurant’s usual prices you might not suspect anything. But any regular will surely spot this? And it’s totally transparent so even if they did jack their menu prices up, that’s their call and your decision.

FYI the restaurant bills you the menu price with 10 pound per person deducted. Restaurant then claims the 10 quids from the government.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know you said this is not for discussion, but it's bloody annoying that it's only for eating in, as I can't really take my littleuns to a restaurant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Glad to hear this. Might have to head over Hove/Brighton way for a meal out then.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
firstly, thats the purpose of a grant. secondly, they'll be found out pretty quick if claiming to be offering discount but not.

I thought they had the choice but were "urged" to use it to get people spending again.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I wish i'd waited until today before spending a buttload in Yo! Sushi on Saturday. Oh well, another trip it is then.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Aside from HT's pointing out it isn't necessarily true for all high end places, it might also be that £10 per head off say a cheap Italian is one thing, if you're spending close to £300 on a meal for two then £20 isn't really here or there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here