Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Government's Eat Out To Help Out scheme

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wonder how busy the restaurants, etc will be tonight if the riff raff have had their fill Mon to Wed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Totally agree, they’re the sort who mock people for buying supermarket value range, can’t bear em.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a value range in Waitrose but I wouldn’t mock anyone for buying it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To a point you are correct. However, on occasions I would not eat in there, and would happily pay a little more as I don't want to share my dining experience with the drunks who have been parked in there from opening time. They offer decent food and drink at not bad value. However, such value can sometimes come at a cost. That's not being snobby at all.

Most times I've been in the Post & Telegraph in North Street anytime from say mid-morning to mid-afternoon in the recent past it's been I'd say 90% rammed with pensioners on a big day out in Brighton looking to have a nice sit down, a cup of tea and maybe a reasonably priced bit of lunch. Dare say it has it's fair share of winos, or even those savvy locals just nipping in to make use of the free bogs, or rob people's bags, but those people I'd say are pretty much under the radar.

Oh, and the West Quay, the Spoons at the Marina used to be OK also, tho have to say I can't vouch for it now they've ERECTED those manky view-spoiling tower blocks right out front

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Went out to a Turkish restaurant near us in Hove last night called Sini. All tables were either outside or just inside open bi-fold doors. Also very busy. Starters and mains for all the family plus a couple of soft drinks each and it came to just over £10 a head with the discount. Going to book a garden table at a local pub for next week as I could get used to this cheap eating.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can’t say I’ve ever seen a value range in Waitrose but I wouldn’t mock anyone for buying it.

It's called 'Essentials' and some of the products are .... well .... anything but 'Essential' .... unless you consider mussels in a white wine sauce 'Essential'.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went out to a Turkish restaurant near us in Hove last night called Sini. All tables were either outside or just inside open bi-fold doors. Also very busy. Starters and mains for all the family plus a couple of soft drinks each and it came to just over £10 a head with the discount. Going to book a garden table at a local pub for next week as I could get used to this cheap eating.

Sini is a great place and very decent value for money normally so with the money off it's fantastic. The Mezze options are particularly good.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
An addition to my earlier reply to your post.
Having just read a story on the Argus website about a young Kayaker who lost his life this week it might be that the staff ar the Six restaurant may have other things on their minds. The man who died ran this restaurant and other businesses in Brighton and Hove with his brother.

I since noticed that too and it might have offered a reasonable explanation, however I do not think that was the case given their response when the young lady rang them to challenge them about it.

Had it been the case they could have simply offered this explanation and amended their mistake.

They however told her that the government instructions were not to offer the discount to everyone as they might not want it. He then said something about people might want to claim VAT back (presumably if being put through as a business expense). This made no sense as any VAT reclaimable would be at 20% which would be less than the 50% discount, and in any case the 20% VAT could still be reclaimable by those who wished to do so on the discounted price.

So although the tragedy associated with that restaurant might have offered an understandable excuse, the manner in which they responded and the reasons they gave when challenged by the young lady did not suggest that was remotely the case. They simply refused to amend their "mistake" on a false pretext.

Jimmy Grimble

I think the government have been very poor during the pandemic but this is one thing they’ve done well on.

Everywhere in central Brighton into Hove was thriving last night. The nature of the saving is encouraging people to stay for drinks afterwards as well, going by the crowds.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have no doubt some places will be claiming while not giving the 50% rate. there are loose rules, to maximise sign up, and list all those registered. theres a link at bottom of the scheme page to report them.

I since noticed that too and it might have offered a reasonable explanation, however I do not think that was the case given their response when the young lady rang them to challenge them about it.

Had it been the case they could have simply offered this explanation and amended their mistake.

They however told her that the government instructions were not to offer the discount to everyone as they might not want it. He then said something about people might want to claim VAT back (presumably if being put through as a business expense). This made no sense as any VAT reclaimable would be at 20% which would be less than the 50% discount, and in any case the 20% VAT could still be reclaimable by those who wished to do so on the discounted price.

So although the tragedy associated with that restaurant might have offered an understandable excuse, the manner in which they responded and the reasons they gave when challenged by the young lady did not suggest that was remotely the case. They simply refused to amend their "mistake" on a false pretext.

Plus, from the 15th of July the VAT rate on eat-in food & soft drinks together with hot carry-out food dropped to 5% until the 12th of January 2021

If you really want details there is - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/food-products-and-vat-notice-70114

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think the government have been very poor during the pandemic but this is one thing they’ve done well on.

Everywhere in central Brighton into Hove was thriving last night. The nature of the saving is encouraging people to stay for drinks afterwards as well, going by the crowds.

Excellent. That will help us kick this highly infectious virus into touch asap

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's called 'Essentials' and some of the products are .... well .... anything but 'Essential' .... unless you consider mussels in a white wine sauce 'Essential'.

Certainly essential if you have made some frites. What else would you have with them?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Plus, from the 15th of July the VAT rate on eat-in food & soft drinks together with hot carry-out food dropped to 5% until the 12th of January 2021

If you really want details there is - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/food-products-and-vat-notice-70114

Their argument is all over the place.

I appreciate your daughter’s friend might be a bit miffed with this restaurant but all things considered it’s probably best to put this one down to experience and remember to ask about any discounts in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here