Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Sleep Apnea

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So I've been diagnosed with this and I'm on day 4 of using a machine ramp 9 Phillip's model which basically keeps your airway open as you sleep stopping you snoring which is a reflex to having stopped breathing normally , so I'm told .

My question is to anyone that uses the mask type airway how long does it take to get used to it because I've managed about 3 hours max sleep per night for 3 nights before I've woke up either choking or pain from the mask fit , also incredibly dry mouth , any info much appreciated.

How are you getting on with your CPAP machine a week or so later?

I’m struggling with the mask in this humidity, barely getting 4 hours a night at the moment

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
It is hard going , I'm getting around 4 hours but once I wake up I can't put the mask back on again , it is getting a little easier to nod off as I've got used to the noise I suppose, I've got another appointment next week to see how I'm doing , apparently there's another type of mask now which is much more user friendly and comfortable.

I will stick with it though , I hope yours gets easier for you .

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It is hard going , I'm getting around 4 hours but once I wake up I can't put the mask back on again , it is getting a little easier to nod off as I've got used to the noise I suppose, I've got another appointment next week to see how I'm doing , apparently there's another type of mask now which is much more user friendly and comfortable.

I tried a few masks until I settled on this one, it’s just the heat and humidity that’s a bit of a struggle at the moment.

If you’re managing 4 hours that’s pretty decent to be fair, took me a couple of months to get 4 hours regularly

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

How did your appointment go?

Have you tried another mask and how is your sleep?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Had appointment and tried another type of mask 1st night 5 hours , 2nd night 8 hours , fantastic , 3rd night woke up after 3 hours the bridge of my nose had become swollen and sore as anything , went online to see if there was a answer and ordered some mask protector type things , not got them yet but hope they do the trick as the mask itself seems to do the job ok :thumbsup:

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Had appointment and tried another type of mask 1st night 5 hours , 2nd night 8 hours , fantastic , 3rd night woke up after 3 hours the bridge of my nose had become swollen and sore as anything , went online to see if there was a answer and ordered some mask protector type things , not got them yet but hope they do the trick as the mask itself seems to do the job ok :thumbsup:

I know I sound like a stuck record but keep going a bit of savalon on your nose during the day will soon go it’s just another way of your body getting used to it these will stop soon too!

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Nice one [emoji1303]

Are your energy levels increasing during the day now ?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Bit of a update including a really nice tip that has helped me cut my total hypoapnea count during sleep in half , so I finally found a perfect fit comfortable mask to wear which obviously helps , but a random tip from a pal who has suffered with S/A for years has really helped me .

A couple of times a week before bed he puts a dollop of Vick in a bowl pours boiling water on it then has a few minutes with a towel over his head and the bowl to inhale the vapour.

I just said cheers for that I'll try it , I forgot and a few weeks later he asked if it helped , so I did it that night and not much changed but after about 3 or 4 sessions my apnea count started to fall and as i say I'm in to week 5 doing this and I'm done by a half roughly .

Not sure this will help everyone but its certainly worth a try .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here