Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] DVLA- please help!

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
I have been trying to contact the DVLA for the last 6 weeks to try and tax a van I own. The log book has been sent to the wrong address so we do not have the reminder or a new keep slip.

I have tried the various different numbers hundreds of times, originally they were only taking calls from key workers and now the lines are just constantly engaged no matter what time of day you try!

I have also written to them around 7 weeks ago but haven’t had a reply. I’m worried as I know you can get clamped for not paying road tax.

Does anyone have any advise for taxing a van without log book/ reminder letter or an alternative way of contacting them?

TIA

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I have been trying to contact the DVLA for the last 6 weeks to try and tax a van I own. The log book has been sent to the wrong address so we do not have the reminder or a new keep slip.

I have tried the various different numbers hundreds of times, originally they were only taking calls from key workers and now the lines are just constantly engaged no matter what time of day you try!

I have also written to them around 7 weeks ago but haven’t had a reply. I’m worried as I know you can get clamped for not paying road tax.

Does anyone have any advise for taxing a van without log book/ reminder letter or an alternative way of contacting them?

TIA

I had a similar problem to you year before last and I got them to do it over the phone. But then it was easy to get through. It wasnt easy to get them to agree but when I said they were making an obstacle to me paying my tax. As they can see it is insured and had an MOT that was when they agreed. I didnt get angry or anything like that you could give it a try.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another post I read too quickly, saw DVDA :facepalm: :lolol:

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Id love to be able to get angry with someone- it’s just constant engaged tone when calling.

I have tried as soon as the lines open, various times through the day and even the weekend.

It’s driving me mad as I got clamped a few years ago for forgetting to tax our camper van and they won’t take it off till tax and fine are paid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
id try a post office, or get a replacment log book.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Some years ago my late wife was having problems with them getting her name right. After numerous attempts she took a day of work and drove to Swansea. She returned all smiles with a license, name spelt correctly. Might be worth a try.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Out of interest, how come it went to the wrong address?

Did you move and not inform them?

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Out of interest, how come it went to the wrong address?

Did you move and not inform them?

We brought 3 new vans at the same time, I can only guess there is an error on one of the log books as we have the other 2 and have had the reminders for them both. It’s just the third that was brought and delivered on the same day.

The Bear

Dec 21, 2010
I phoned them on Friday about a car tax issue on this number *0300 790 6802‬. On hold for about 10 mins then got thru to a very friendly Welsh chap who was absolutely zero help. Got the number from google somewhere.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We brought 3 new vans at the same time, I can only guess there is an error on one of the log books as we have the other 2 and have had the reminders for them both. It’s just the third that was brought and delivered on the same day.

Ah OK. I do know they've experienced significant delays since lockdown, as they've tried to work out how the hell to accommodate all their staff (it's a huge employer down that way).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The DVLA and DVSA are in all sorts of problems with massive backlogs. If call is answered and you're in a queue you'll just have to wait and hold on. Alternatively, get to the Post Office. Not sure how quick it will be sorted as I suspect you'll need to prove that you purchased it from the previous owner.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Some years ago my late wife was having problems with them getting her name right. After numerous attempts she took a day of work and drove to Swansea. She returned all smiles with a license, name spelt correctly. Might be worth a try.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Good idea. Just make sure your van is taxed before you set off for Swansea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
They are an absolute nightmare. I sent off for claiming a tax issue and they've left me in limbo. I have to carry on as normal now. I couldn't wait any longer. :annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here