Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Josh King

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
According to various website chatter and pretend ITK, King is on anything in a range of £45 - 65k per week, more likely closer to the £45k. In the present climate I'm not sure why he would be expecting more than that.

The player may well be happy to take his salary until next summer and see if the market is much improved for him as a free agent. That has it's own risks if he were to sustain a major injury.

King is in the last year of his current contract. Why would he sign for a Premier League club, on a 2-4 year contract at the same Championship wages he is on now? He'd comfortably ask for wages similar to what he was getting at Bournemouth in the Premier League.... £70k/week+

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
King is in the last year of his current contract. Why would he sign for a Premier League club, on a 2-4 year contract at the same Championship wages he is on now? He'd comfortably ask for wages similar to what he was getting at Bournemouth in the Premier League.... £70k/week+

They were 19/20 figures.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yet again i'm amazed at the inside knowledge NSC seems to have when discussing the weekly wages, contracts and clauses of premier league or championship footballers.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really? Doesn't seem accurate - as apparently he had a 40% relegation clause, so he should be on even less now

It's a lot of guesswork because no one really knows what the details are unless they're specifically released. I've not seen anything where he was on more than £65k pw in the PL, and some sources had him on lower than that. If it was £65k, then a 40% reduction would be £39k pw now.

If you get him for £10m on a 4 year contract, you may feel that he's actually a £20m player you're getting at an end of contract price. Let's just say you believe you've said £5m on the transfer fee, that pretty much equates to £24k pw over a 4 year term. Therefore if you were willing to pay £50k pw for a £15m player, you could pay £74k pw for a £10m player, and be know worse off, in fact better as you're spreading that £5m over 4 years.

Trouble is, despite that logic, what does it do to the dressing room if someone is on £74k pw when the rest of you are on say £50k pw or lower.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yet again i'm amazed at the inside knowledge NSC seems to have when discussing the weekly wages, contracts and clauses of premier league or championship footballers.

It’s in the papers. I’m sure the media / sports journos must have some inkling / insight ?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've clearly stated in my own posts that it is just rumour, guesswork and what is found on the internet with no basis in fact, rhyme or reason. We don't know how contracts necessarily actually work, in fact most players wages are in flux based on appearance, performance, win, goal, clean sheet bonuses and the like. So a lot of it is noise.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Its upto Bloom, Barber, Ashworth etc if the sums add up... but in terms of the player, we could do a lot worse. Scored 6 in 26 league games last season. Every chance he could have got 10+ if he played the full season like Neal did.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Us AFCB fans mystified why no one hasn't offered £15 million - which I reckon would get him. Not sure what his wage demands would be..

The thing is - when he was played up front on his own, he scored 16 in the season. Quite a few of us would have gladly seen Wilson go a couple of years ago if JK could have been kept as the main striker. Hey ho..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Us AFCB fans mystified why no one hasn't offered £15 million - which I reckon would get him. Not sure what his wage demands would be..

The thing is - when he was played up front on his own, he scored 16 in the season. Quite a few of us would have gladly seen Wilson go a couple of years ago if JK could have been kept as the main striker. Hey ho..

Somebody will snap up JK as a sound investment. Tho probably not us. We'll probably just keep sniffing around Poland, recruitment team maybe having finally realised that Netherland players are laid-back overpriced dross

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Somebody will snap up JK as a sound investment. Tho probably not us. We'll probably just keep sniffing around Poland, recruitment team maybe having finally realised that Netherland players are laid-back overpriced dross
It’s ok Andone will save the day the guys a goal machine :lolol:

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

Takes a while doesn’t it. Suppose everyone is after a RvP or Van Nistelrooy.

West Ham are the next suitors apparently, possibly after Steve Cook too...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

If King goes to West Ham (good player), you also have:

Wilson to Newcastle.
Brewster and some fella from french league to SU.
Batshuayi and Eze to Palace
Watkins to Villa
Rodrigo and Raphina to Leeds.

Benrhama looks likely palace or West ham too.

Leaving us, Burnley, Fulham and West Brom with no additions, in our case we have gone from Maupay, Murray + rookie Connolly, to just Maupay and Connolly.....all the wingers who are now being branded as strikers were all here last season and didn't tear up trees or score many, but they're being relied on to do what they couldn't before, with one less striker in our ranks (unless anyone seriously thinks Zeqiri is going to bang them in this side of January?)

Not only are we a man down on exactly what we had last season, the others around us from last season have all added quality options.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
15 million for a player who turns 29 shortly. It's not our policy.

I think it would be a goodbye. That bit of experience without being to old.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If King goes to West Ham (good player), you also have:

Wilson to Newcastle.
Brewster and some fella from french league to SU.
Batshuayi and Eze to Palace
Watkins to Villa
Rodrigo and Raphina to Leeds.

Benrhama looks likely palace or West ham too.

Leaving us, Burnley, Fulham and West Brom with no additions, in our case we have gone from Maupay, Murray + rookie Connolly, to just Maupay and Connolly.....all the wingers who are now being branded as strikers were all here last season and didn't tear up trees or score many, but they're being relied on to do what they couldn't before, with one less striker in our ranks (unless anyone seriously thinks Zeqiri is going to bang them in this side of January?)

Not only are we a man down on exactly what we had last season, the others around us from last season have all added quality options.

I know it doesn't look great and if we were not scoring hardly any goals I would be very concerned as well. However we are creating more chances this season and scoring more regularly (scored in every Prem game so far) so we do seem to be better in that area. Obviously if one of our current front 3 gets injured THEN we could see less goals but that is only the worst case scenario at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Murray type of striker in Jan which is what, 12 games away?
Most of the seasons games are next year so we should be ok to play with what we've got until then.

What IS concerning are the goals we're conceding. Not sure whether it's a different marking system being in place, or getting used to a 3 at the back or what, but I hope they are working hard on tightening up the defensive aspects in these two weeks!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I know it doesn't look great and if we were not scoring hardly any goals I would be very concerned as well. However we are creating more chances this season and scoring more regularly (scored in every Prem game so far) so we do seem to be better in that area. Obviously if one of our current front 3 gets injured THEN we could see less goals but that is only the worst case scenario at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Murray type of striker in Jan which is what, 12 games away?
Most of the seasons games are next year so we should be ok to play with what we've got until then.

What IS concerning are the goals we're conceding. Not sure whether it's a different marking system being in place, or getting used to a 3 at the back or what, but I hope they are working hard on tightening up the defensive aspects in these two weeks!

everything you say is correct casbom. I'm football tactics expert, but there is a caveat in all this......... The reason why we are creating so many chances is not just the players, its the system. clubs who play 3 at the back and a higher line, will often dominate possession more and have more chances at the top end of the pitch, but that always comes with giving up solidity of a back 4 or 5 at the back. If we were doing what we were doing without leaking more than we score, I'd agree. But I don't see it as merely a few tweaks defensively - inherently we're giving up a defender first for a ball player first, and a man at the back to have an extra man at the top end.

Its the reason Villa smashed Liverpool, there will always be chances for teams playing against 3 at the back or with a higher line, as many a Muff spanking testified last season.

SU often play a 3, and their probs are scoring, but they're great at changing shape to a more defensive one without the ball. Maybe we will learn that better in time?

With someone like king who plays the lone striker role superbly - you could go 451 rather than 352 away to top 6 and gain that solidity at the back without losing the opportunity of Tross or others joining in from the AM areas.

Currently we're robbing peter at the back to pay paul at the top...... I love the system, but big goals against will persist when you get caught on the break inho.....just takes one interception or stray pass and you back 3 is just not as water tight as our old back 4's were as is evidenced this season.

* Beginning of Jan is 12 games away but how often do players move at the beginning of Jan? The end of Jan when most movement happens is 18 games or half the season

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It might be JK just doesn't want to come to us, so has nothing to do with what our recruitment team is prepared or not prepared to do. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here