Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hughton to Bournemouth?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Is he applying for jobs or are the clubs contacting him to see if he is interested? Is it just fans forums thinking he should be applying for jobs because they want something to discuss?

Local Bristol press reported he met with club and was one of the names interviewed so not just fans forums. If he was genuinely not looking for work and retiring it would be a very quick phone call and his name would not be featuring anywhere.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Football Management isn't the be all and end all - There are many ''Social Justice'' issues that people can crack on with which aren't necessarily in the Media Spotlight which need to be addressed.

Do you really think Clubs are favouring someone else ?- OR - Do you think maybe Chris himself maybe just wants to wait till something he he himself might want to get involved with ? he is humble enough to know that not every employer will turn to him but by the same token. You don't take on jobs where you don't get the tools to potentially succeed.

In other words he was lucky with Brighton because he had a benefactor who was also a fan and who did not baulk at putting money in. He's going to struggle to find a similar situation. The fact that he was talking to Bristol suggests he knows enough about the club to want the job.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Football Management isn't the be all and end all - There are many ''Social Justice'' issues that people can crack on with which aren't necessarily in the Media Spotlight which need to be addressed.

Do you really think Clubs are favouring someone else ?- OR - Do you think maybe Chris himself maybe just wants to wait till something he he himself might want to get involved with ? he is humble enough to know that not every employer will turn to him but by the same token. You don't take on jobs where you don't get the tools to potentially succeed.

Yes I do think that clubs are favouring someone else.

I’m not doubting Chris has turned down jobs he isn’t interested in.... but likewise I’m sure positions he has been interested in have been given to other applicants.

He is a good manager but doesn’t mean he will get whatever job he wants.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In other words he was lucky with Brighton because he had a benefactor who was also a fan and who did not baulk at putting money in. He's going to struggle to find a similar situation. The fact that he was talking to Bristol suggests he knows enough about the club to want the job.

An applicant doesn't find out what a club wants until they talk.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I think that luck cuts both ways - 3 other Managers tried before him and didn't make it to the PL with Brighton with the very same benefactor.

And as for BC _ You don't know whether he wanted the job or not - Look at what Bristol City have done . They sold their equivalent of Brighton's Lewis Dunk (Webster) as soon as enough money was offered.

What did Brighton do when Big Money Offers came in for Dunk they paid up and gave Dunky improved contracts to keep him. That shows Ambition - And that's the sort of thing which attracted Chris to Brighton ''Ambition''

When another Club comes along and shows the Ambition that Brighton showed - That's when you know that a job might be the right job. - The Manager and a Club's Hierarchy have to be on the same page and if they are not then it will fail.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
An applicant doesn't find out what a club wants until they talk.

Really? You don't think that the club might initially use and agent to find out who is interested and likewise, wouldn't Hughton use his agent to find out in advance what prospective employers are looking for?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes I do think that clubs are favouring someone else.

I’m not doubting Chris has turned down jobs he isn’t interested in.... but likewise I’m sure positions he has been interested in have been given to other applicants.

He is a good manager but doesn’t mean he will get whatever job he wants.

Of course he can't get any job he wants. I have said as much in my posts . But you don't know which ones CH decided against himself. Not always because they weren't good jobs. Just because the timing wasn't right when he was approached.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think that luck cuts both ways - 3 other Managers tried before him and didn't make it to the PL with Brighton with the very same benefactor.

And as for BC _ You don't know whether he wanted the job or not - Look at what Bristol City have done . They sold their equivalent of Brighton's Lewis Dunk (Webster) as soon as enough money was offered.

What did Brighton do when Big Money Offers came in for Dunk they paid up and gave Dunky improved contracts to keep him. That shows Ambition - And that's the sort of thing which attracted Chris to Brighton ''Ambition''

When another Club comes along and shows the Ambition that Brighton showed - That's when you know that a job might be the right job. - The Manager and a Club's Hierarchy have to be on the same page and if they are not then it will fail.

It's clear you and JRG are members of the same CH fan club.

Poyet and Garcia got us to the play-offs, as did CH in his first full season. They weren't complete disasters (we reserve that for Hyypia).

The reference to Webster is garbage because when CH was talking to Bristol that would have been something he was aware of.

Very few clubs would be able to respond the way Bloom did when suitors came knocking. And because they are a rarity then so will be the jobs that become available under them. It's CH's choice if he waits for that role to turn up. I, and it seems a few more, think that opportunity isn't going to come knocking for him. Maybe he needs the challenge of doing something different, whether that be something related to 'social injustices' as you put or taking a job that is going to have more challenges. Whatever happens, no doubt his cheerleaders on here will remain!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Really? You don't think that the club might initially use and agent to find out who is interested and likewise, wouldn't Hughton use his agent to find out in advance what prospective employers are looking for?

Absolutely and categorically NOT

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No. I don't think clubs would reveal their financial details to an agent.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Of course he can't get any job he wants. I have said as much in my posts . But you don't know which ones CH decided against himself. Not always because they weren't good jobs. Just because the timing wasn't right when he was approached.

I’m sure that’s all true.

My point is it appears CH is fishing from a very small pool in regards to his next job and whether that will ultimately pay off for him.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Poyet and Garcia got us to the play-offs, as did CH in his first full season. They weren't complete disasters (we reserve that for Hyypia).

The reference to Webster is garbage because when CH was talking to Bristol that would have been something he was aware of.

Very few clubs would be able to respond the way Bloom did when suitors came knocking. And because they are a rarity then so will be the jobs that become available under them. It's CH's choice if he waits for that role to turn up. I, and it seems a few more, think that opportunity isn't going to come knocking for him. Maybe he needs the challenge of doing something different, whether that be something related to 'social injustices' as you put or taking a job that is going to have more challenges. Whatever happens, no doubt his cheerleaders on here will remain!!

No one said Poyet and Garcia were failures - They just didn't achieve PL football - I would suggest that CH reached the play offs in his first season on a more impressive manner, missing out on automatic promotion on GD

Of course he would have known that BC sold Webster. Thats why you speak to them - To find out if it is going to be more of the same ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No. I don't think clubs would reveal their financial details to an agent.

Sorry, not sure exactly what you are on about? Accounts are freely available so that's one thing. With regard to the ambitions of the club, surely they would be letting agents know what they expect from the manager and what their clients (ie the prospective managers) can expect. if both parties are relatively happy then they meet to discuss the nitty gritty. That's not to say that once the deal is done then both stick to what they say. God knows what Ashley promises each manager when he appoints them.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
No one said Poyet and Garcia were failures - They just didn't achieve PL football - I would suggest that CH reached the play offs in his first season on a more impressive manner, missing out on automatic promotion on GD

Of course he would have known that BC sold Webster. Thats why you speak to them - To find out if it is going to be more of the same ?

I have no doubt that GP & OG would’ve taken us up had they been here fore a couple more seasons. Our championship success was just as much about TB building the clubs structure as it was about the manager.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Really? I'm not suggesting they would find out details about budgets etc but surely there would be an indication as to what the club are aiming for within reason.

Nope. Nothing. Organise a meeting and nothing else.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I don’t doubt he wants the job that’s right for him.

I suppose my point is that is he holding out hoping for a job offer that just isn’t going to come.

I’d argue several jobs have come up in the last 12 months which would have suited CH well..... Bristol City is now another one which he has been linked with yet appears they are favouring someone else.

Hughton has received several job offers - and turned them down. As NooBHA said - Hughton wants a job where the club's ambitions match his own.

As regards Bristol City - they leaked that he was to get the job before negotiations were complete and, apparently, negotiations hit a snag a week ago. To suggest that the owners are Bristol City are favouring Dean Holden over Hughton is daft - Holden is their back-up plan if they can't persuade Hughton to take the job (and there clearly is some reason why he hasn't accepted the job so far - whatever movement is needed has to come from the club). Indeed - to me, the talk of Holden suggests a lack of ambition on Bristol city's part.

I would suggest that it is rather obvious that I am a fan of Chris Hughton.

I’m sure that’s all true.

My point is it appears CH is fishing from a very small pool in regards to his next job and whether that will ultimately pay off for him.

Hughton is in the exact same position as every other candidate looking for a managerial vacancy - there are far more candidates than jobs available. The noteworthy point is that Hughton is linked with practically every single job that becomes available - it demonstrates the standing that Hughton has within the football fraternity.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Hughton has received several job offers - and turned them down. As NooBHA said - Hughton wants a job where the club's ambitions match his own.

As regards Bristol City - they leaked that he was to get the job before negotiations were complete and, apparently, negotiations hit a snag a week ago. To suggest that the owners are Bristol City are favouring Dean Holden over Hughton is daft - Holden is their back-up plan if they can't persuade Hughton to take the job (and there clearly is some reason why he hasn't accepted the job so far - whatever movement is needed has to come from the club). Indeed - to me, the talk of Holden suggests a lack of ambition on Bristol city's part.

I would suggest that it is rather obvious that I am a fan of Chris Hughton.

Hughton is in the exact same position as every other candidate looking for a managerial vacancy - there are far more candidates than jobs available. The noteworthy point is that Hughton is linked with practically every single job that becomes available - it demonstrates the standing that Hughton has within the football fraternity.

Whilst I’m not hugely disagreeing with you ...... I still believe that CH is currently ‘up against it’ in regards to finding a job he wants.

You mention he wants to find a club with ambitions that match his, which I can only assume is a PL club or a PL ready club who are well set financially.

The problem with that is that there aren’t many clubs that fit that description and those that do are currently the ones targeting young progressive managers.

Now I’m not saying CH can’t deliver at any of these clubs, far from it ... with the right set up and the right budget he knows what he is doing. I just wonder if at some point if he wants to get back into football he will need to be a bit more pragmatic about what he wants.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Whilst I’m not hugely disagreeing with you ...... I still believe that CH is currently ‘up against it’ in regards to finding a job he wants.

You mention he wants to find a club with ambitions that match his, which I can only assume is a PL club or a PL ready club who are well set financially.

The problem with that is that there aren’t many clubs that fit that description and those that do are currently the ones targeting young progressive managers.

Now I’m not saying CH can’t deliver at any of these clubs, far from it ... with the right set up and the right budget he knows what he is doing. I just wonder if at some point if he wants to get back into football he will need to be a bit more pragmatic about what he wants.
I would suggest that you are actually agreeing with what I have said.

As previously noted - there are far more candidates than jobs available. And I actually disagree with your suggestion about 'targeting young progressive managers' (and 'young' does not automatically make you 'progressive' - whatever that actually means - it also does not mean that you are any good at the job). Of the 8 existing managers of PL clubs have been appointed in the PL since 2019 - 5 could not be regarded as falling into that category. The average lifespan of a manager in the Championship is less than 14 months - and it tends to be the 'young progressive managers' who get sacked very quickly. It should also be noted that two of the three clubs that were promoted this season were in receipt of parachute payments which gave them a massive advantage over the other clubs they were competing with. Clubs with real ambition in the championship will go for a manager with a proven track record who knows how to get the job done.

As for Hughton - he will work again - if he doesn't manage to find a suitable position in England (and he can afford to pick and choose his job), it is only a matter of time before he becomes manager of the Republic of Ireland team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here