Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peerages for Brexiters, Knighthoods for Tax dodgers

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
im wondering what the knighthood has to do with the company or their tax affairs. they've followed tax rules or is there insinuation they havent, had some preferential treatment, the article doesnt make such suggestion. all it shows is people dont understand companies pay tax on profit, not turnover.

It's more of a moral question really, I didn't think lining your own pockets, and climbing the greasy pole was the attributes required to become a Knight of the realm but I suppose the fact Philip Green gets to keep his means nobility and honour doesn't seem to count.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's time to " scrap this crap "

All these "Awards " and I use that term loosely are outdated and have no merits in Modern Day Society.

You might as well give an award for peeing over high walls.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

All these "Awards " and I use that term loosely are outdated and have no merits in Modern Day Society.

I know someone, who I trust on this, that knew a fella that could pee over a van. And by van I mean bigger than a transit. This is the sort of thing we need to celebrate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Or at least reduce it, which was the plan until recently. I read our bloated HoL is the biggest second chamber in the world. That’s just nonsense and hypocritical of Boris who routinely spread lies about the EU and huge numbers of alleged unelected members.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's more of a moral question really, I didn't think lining your own pockets, and climbing the greasy pole was the attributes required to become a Knight of the realm but I suppose the fact Philip Green gets to keep his means nobility and honour doesn't seem to count.

very uninformed of you, thats exactly what is required for a knighthood. they've always been given to those who curry favour with the establishment, or promoted to some civil service positions.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
very uninformed of you, thats exactly what is required for a knighthood. they've always been given to those who curry favour with the establishment, or promoted to some civil service positions.
Au contraire, I give you Sir Bobby Robson, Sir Kenny Dalglish and Sir Chris Hoy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Au contraire, I give you Sir Bobby Robson, Sir Kenny Dalglish and Sir Chris Hoy.

good point, the sporting gongs require sporting excellence. service to arts too. political ones, not so much.

D

Deleted member 2719

The media normalises what I think is downright corruption

Boris hands out peerages to MPs who backed Brexit, including some Labour MPs and even Brexit party MEPS. Presumably he got his brexit deal through parliament (or bought) on a promise of later reward?

and get this, Theresa May's husband Philip May, who worked for a firm who avoided paying corporation tax whilst paying directors $43m during an 8 year period is given a Knighthood !

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/theresa-mays-husbands-firm-avoided-11593549
Hey Randy, let it go.
I will call your SIR if it helps.

Arise Sir randy mcnob.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
good point, the sporting gongs require sporting excellence. service to arts too. political ones, not so much.
This is the difference, all too many political awards dilute the honour bestowed simply because many are awarded for just doing the job. So many of the people Knighted deserve their awards and so few politicians should get anywhere near one.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know someone, who I trust on this, that knew a fella that could pee over a van. And by van I mean bigger than a transit. This is the sort of thing we need to celebrate.

I shall expect to see him in the House of Lords next week. That's impressive 🙂

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The world moves on, but not in Britain it seems.

Archaic monarch, archaic Parliamentary system and buildings, archaic voting system, old school tie network, corrupt honours system. A country run by c*nts for c*nts.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not only does the son of former KGB officer Alexander Lebedev gain a peerage, but so too does James Wharton, a paid advisor to former Russian state arms firm boss, Alexander Temerko, at the same time as he was running Boris Johnson's leadership campaign.

Obviously not corrupt, at all.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The world moves on, but not in Britain it seems.

Archaic monarch, archaic Parliamentary system and buildings, archaic voting system, old school tie network, corrupt honours system. A country run by c*nts for c*nts.

what gets me is why ordinary people vote to keep this status quo. Gaslit.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not only does the son of former KGB officer Alexander Lebedev gain a peerage, but so too does James Wharton, a paid advisor to former Russian state arms firm boss, Alexander Temerko, at the same time as he was running Boris Johnson's leadership campaign.

Obviously not corrupt, at all.

Nothing to see here . . . .move along.

I sat and watched about half of the original 1984 film after the brexit referendum . . . .I couldn't watch much more. . . Satirical comedy is dead, reality has taken over. . . . Until people are literally dead, in their thousands I don't think anyone will bother to look up . . . . Oh. . . . Hang on . . . . Maybe when their children starve, or their homes are repossessed . . .AND they're all out of credit/food . . . . Who knows. The best is yet to come. Apparently.

I'm alright Jack deserves nothing less.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here