Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex v Hampshire Bob Willis Trophy

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is from the Glynde & Beddingham facebook page:

So, to follow yesterday’s match in style, we needed to make 72 to win and make them well. Elliot and Jack opened. It was a special day in our week: Elliot gave a chance in his 20s but hit the ball so hard that no junior cricketer could expect to catch it. That our opponent even went for it is a huge credit to him. Jack was smooth, stroking rather than bludgeoning, always finding gaps, always maximising the runs. The chance aside, we moved smoothly to within 12 runs of their score in just 7 overs, with Elliot on 38 and Jack on 20.

So, if you are a cricket lover, now just shut your eyes and imagine how you would finish off the match. Got it?

So what actually happened is that Elliot drills a 4 straight down the ground. And another. The third ball of the over is pulled through midwicket, also for 4. 50 to Elliot from 25 balls. The scores level.

Elliot finishes things off on the next ball with an enormous pull shot for 6. Very, very deep into the trees. No one looks for the ball. Victory by 10 wickets, 56 not out for Elliot and 20 not out for Jack.​

:clap2:

My neighbour is very excited about the lad and it's easy to see why

Having an U12 plunder 218* in a second tier club game is not something that all junior cricket coaches would happily allow to happen.

And the subsequent 10 wicket romp in 8 overs would also be considered rather unedifying by some.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having an U12 plunder 218* in a second tier club game is not something that all junior cricket coaches would happily allow to happen.

And the subsequent 10 wicket romp in 8 overs would also be considered rather unedifying by some.

I looked at the scores from that week: they had the same top order in pretty much every innings. If I were a parent there, I'd not be happy about seeing the same people getting a go at batting every game.

Certainly, if I were coaching there I'd insist on a batter retiring on 100 and anyone batting one game would be down the order in the next

It's also interesting to note that, for all his efforts, they didn't qualify for the final.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I looked at the scores from that week: they had the same top order in pretty much every innings. If I were a parent there, I'd not be happy about seeing the same people getting a go at batting every game.

Certainly, if I were coaching there I'd insist on a batter retiring on 100 and anyone batting one game would be down the order in the next

It's also interesting to note that, for all his efforts, they didn't qualify for the final.

The SJCF is a pretty crap format to be honest that leads to many really bad experiences of cricket for youngsters.

The best/keenest/most supported players get loads of opportunity anyway. Many of them are at private schools or have a cricketing parent (or the killer combination of both massive advantages).

Junior club cricket should be entirely, 100%, about inclusion and encouraging participation. Smashing massive totals and/or rolling teams and winning by 10 wickets just simply should not happen, ever.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The SJCF is a pretty crap format to be honest that leads to many really bad experiences of cricket for youngsters.

The best/keenest/most supported players get loads of opportunity anyway. Many of them are at private schools or have a cricketing parent (or the killer combination of both massive advantages).

Junior club cricket should be entirely, 100%, about inclusion and encouraging participation. Smashing massive totals and/or rolling teams and winning by 10 wickets just simply should not happen, ever.

I don't know about that, we've had some cracking games over the years - several going down to the final over.

But you need sensible coaches. One match last year I took two of our bowlers off as they were too good for the batters, we still bowled them out for about 30. I did my best but it was still pretty one-sided. I feel for those bowlers in the Glynde match who were battered for 300 odd in 34 overs - what does that do for their confidence.

Junior rugby has a good approach: if a match is looking really one sided, the two coaches can agree to stop the game; declare the better side the winner and then mix up the teams so it's an even game. Something like that could work in cricket but there are rather too many win at all costs coaches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here