Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Albion average age 25.4
palace average age 28.7.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
With all our loans back, transfermarkt have us down as having the biggest squad in the Premier League with 36 players in our pre-25 squad. That’s 13 more than Palace!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1

We might be moving on a fair few this Summer.

This doesn't surprise me.
We have been assembling a PL and top PL2 squad for three seasons now.

It amuses me that a couple of the Palace Goons used to cling to the idea that our wage bill was approaching theirs.
Which they believed was natural for the time spent in the Prem. In reality we are paying for a much deeper squad, whilst theirs has been getting smaller, older and richer.

Agree we will probably be looking to move a few on this season,

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
With all our loans back, transfermarkt have us down as having the biggest squad in the Premier League with 36 players in our pre-25 squad. That’s 13 more than Palace!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1

We might be moving on a fair few this Summer.

Few glaring mistakes with that list.

They nclude some under 23s but not all, for example Max Sanders and Jayson Molumby aren’t listed, nor are any of the players like Richard, Roberts and Cochrane. Percy Tau is included and I’ve got as much chance of being named as he has next season. Florin Andone isn’t listed either. I think there are 30 players (not including Tau) on that list over 21 that would be need to be named within a 25 to play, some of them may go out on loan again next season or moved on especially in the keeping department.

I’m guessing every club is as inaccurate as ours so I wouldn’t read too much into this so called biggest squad in the Premier League.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was a few players too big already last season and its way too big now, think we will see quite a few move on.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
It was a few players too big already last season and its way too big now, think we will see quite a few move on.

Our squad was actually smaller last season as we only named a 24 man squad for second half of the Premier League season and that included Beram Kayal (didn't make a match day squad), Jurgen Locadia (sent out on loan again straight after the squad was named) and Andrew Crofts (under 23's coach) and the perma injured Jose izquierdo.

It's only become larger this season because we've had several players reach the age where they need to be named. Steven Alzate, Alexis Mac Allister from the first team squad, returning loanees Viktor Gyokeres and Jan Mlakar, plus those who were out on loan that were already over-age like Christian Walton, Robert Sanchez, Ben White and Matt Clarke. Of course we will see some players moving on and several going out on loan again, we will certainly need to address the goal keeping and centre back situation.

As I said on my earlier post the squad list isn't accurate as it's mixed the first team and under 23 squads together and not included several players who have been training with the first team this season, or out on loan and could come into first team consideration next season. You can't compare what he did at Ostersund or Swansea to what needs to be done here as essentially we are building two squads, one for the Premier League and one for the U23's in Premier League 2. That requires a lot more players and there will be some cross over.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Our squad was actually smaller last season as we only named a 24 man squad for second half of the Premier League season and that included Beram Kayal (didn't make a match day squad), Jurgen Locadia (sent out on loan again straight after the squad was named) and Andrew Crofts (under 23's coach) and the perma injured Jose izquierdo.

It's only become larger this season because we've had several players reach the age where they need to be named. Steven Alzate, Alexis Mac Allister from the first team squad, returning loanees Viktor Gyokeres and Jan Mlakar, plus those who were out on loan that were already over-age like Christian Walton, Robert Sanchez, Ben White and Matt Clarke. Of course we will see some players moving on and several going out on loan again, we will certainly need to address the goal keeping and centre back situation.

As I said on my earlier post the squad list isn't accurate as it's mixed the first team and under 23 squads together and not included several players who have been training with the first team this season, or out on loan and could come into first team consideration next season. You can't compare what he did at Ostersund or Swansea to what needs to be done here as essentially we are building two squads, one for the Premier League and one for the U23's in Premier League 2. That requires a lot more players and there will be some cross over.

Almost no club register 25 players, most only use 20-23 of the available 25 spots and most of them include players that will get little to no playing time.

Brighton was one of the clubs that registered the most players, 24. If we exclude the four you mention and then add the four not registered - Lamptey, Alzate, Macallister and Connolly - you have a 24 man squad, meaning six needs to be excluded from the normal 18 player matchday squads and four from the current larger matchday squads. Its a bit too much.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes. In Swansea he didnt have much of a choice, but the Östersund squad he always kept relatively small.

How long did it take for Potter’s style and ideas to really start to show at Östersund? Was it instant impact? I remember being blown away by our very first competitive game when we whooped Watford, and we continued to play excellent football for large parts of the season, hopefully that’s given Potter an excellent platform to build on.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How long did it take for Potter’s style and ideas to really start to show at Östersund? Was it instant impact? I remember being blown away by our very first competitive game when we whooped Watford, and we continued to play excellent football for large parts of the season, hopefully that’s given Potter an excellent platform to build on.

It went pretty fast. He joined the team when they had just got relegated to the fourth division and first season was mainly about building confidence, introducing the basics and driving around in northern Sweden looking for decent players. When they reached the second highest division (Superettan) in 2013, it quickly became obvious to everyone watching that they had been building something quite interesting. I didnt them while in div 4 and 3 so I cant tell personally how quick his style showed, but from reading about it I think the change was quite immediate.

Here Potter talks a bit about the early years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBU48tiP0PM

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Almost no club register 25 players, most only use 20-23 of the available 25 spots and most of them include players that will get little to no playing time.

Brighton was one of the clubs that registered the most players, 24. If we exclude the four you mention and then add the four not registered - Lamptey, Alzate, Macallister and Connolly - you have a 24 man squad, meaning six needs to be excluded from the normal 18 player matchday squads and four from the current larger matchday squads. Its a bit too much.

For a start Lampety and Connolly do not need to be named in the 25, that applies to the pair of them until the start of the 22-23 season.

Over half the division named 23 or more players last season after the January transfer window, with Newcastle, Sheffield United and West Ham all using the full 25, Burnley, Leicester and Watford joined us in naming 24 players and Bournemouth, Villa, Liverpool and Man Utd all named 23. So we really aren't that different to a lot of the Premier League, we look like a large squad at the moment due to new transfers and returning loan players, but we will sell some and we will send some out on loan, but i'd expect the named squad to be of a similar size but with a lot more competition for places next season.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex

We were lucky with injuries last season but more than 4 injuries is very possible. However with the quality of our u23 this is becoming less of a problem, as they are more able to step up, so maybe it is time for the 25 to be culled a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here