Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive government U-turn on Covid restrictions

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
In the media questioning BJ really couldn't justify sticking to changing the advice that people should work from home if possible.

The medical bod was asked whether we should still be unlocking restrictions like that and he made a point of defending re-opening schools as a priority and then said that we cannot carry on opening up other things without consequences.

I get the impression the medical bods are not on board with encouraging people to go back to the office, get on public transport etc!

It's a tricky balance to strike, but after many months of restrictions I personally feel that people's social contact IS a priority, and is possibly more of a priority than getting people back to office so Pret can sell sandwiches to them.

And when pubs restaurants etc are open but people are told they cant visit friends and families in their gardens I feel again maybe the balance is not right.

I guess there is no ideal solution but maybe the priorities need to be re-assessed

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I live pretty close to Bradford (about a 20 minute drive) but having measured on the map, the end of my garden is actually only 390m from the district boundary :eek:

I'm not sure I'd describe it as a U-turn.

It's exactly what we were told would happen if/when infection rates started to rise.

I've had my fingers hovering over a new thread about when we would see infections rising again, as it has seemed inevitable to me, based on the loosening that has taken place.

All strikes me as very sensible, right now.

I agree, though I'm not sure announcing it on Twitter, just to people who follow Matt Hancock, just before Eid, is very sensible.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i thought this was stated policy, if cases rise openings wont occur.

faceplam advise is daft though, really just opens them to ridicule.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Whitty has said that we have basically reached peak unlockdown. I guess that means crowds at sports events won't be happening until we have a very effective treatment and/or a vaccine :(

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Out of all this it's definitely Wozza everyone should be pissed off with and who made a mistake

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Whitty has said that we have basically reached peak unlockdown. I guess that means crowds at sports events won't be happening until we have a very effective treatment and/or a vaccine :(

I think exactly that. The reality is, I’m sure pubs etc. opened up with the best of intentions of enforcing social distancing but that soon dissipates. After a short while, people begin to ignore the rules to a point where there’s not much you can do and you give up trying. Anyone with kids has been there; “yes they’re tearing the fúcking house apart but I need a break so they can do their worse as far as I’m concerned”.

I’ve been optimistic throughout, but it was always going to lead to this. I’m now of the opinion that there’s no true way out of this without a vaccine. It’s not all doom and gloom though - there seems to be genuine confidence in a viable, widely available vaccine within the next three to six months. We just need to keep a lid on cases and deaths in the interim, which, and I don’t often credit this government, we appear to be very determined to do.

Balancing the economy with public safety is no easy thing to do however, and it’s easy implore the government to take a ‘lives first’ approach when you’re in a job that’s relatively unaffected by the crisis so far. There will be casualties, be it financial or physical (or even both), we just need to tread the tightrope as carefully as possible for what may not be as long as many think.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
‘Government does exactly what it said it would do in reaction to concern over rising infection rates, and takes sensible and proportionate action to mitigate further spread’

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The amazingly accurate " Target Advertising " on NSC has just thrown an advert in to this thread for me entitled DON’T JUST GO OUT, GO ALL OUT.

With exclusive offers on selected vehicles, it’s time for extraordinary. Click here to view offer.

How ironically wrong can you be ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think exactly that. The reality is, I’m sure pubs etc. opened up with the best of intentions of enforcing social distancing but that soon dissipates. After a short while, people begin to ignore the rules to a point where there’s not much you can do and you give up trying. Anyone with kids has been there; “yes they’re tearing the fúcking house apart but I need a break so they can do their worse as far as I’m concerned”.

I’ve been optimistic throughout, but it was always going to lead to this. I’m now of the opinion that there’s no true way out of this without a vaccine. It’s not all doom and gloom though - there seems to be genuine confidence in a viable, widely available vaccine within the next three to six months. We just need to keep a lid on cases and deaths in the interim, which, and I don’t often credit this government, we appear to be very determined to do.

Balancing the economy with public safety is no easy thing to do however, and it’s easy implore the government to take a ‘lives first’ approach when you’re in a job that’s relatively unaffected by the crisis so far. There will be casualties, be it financial or physical (or even both), we just need to tread the tightrope as carefully as possible for what may not be as long as many think.

Firstly, this government seems to have a rather liberal view on what is an " acceptable " level of deaths. Secondly, quite quickly, the government realised that the economy was more important than that liberal acceptable level of deaths.

I have gone back to work recently and have had to sign a document stating that I know and understand Covid transmission and the measures that have to be taken to minimise the risk to myself and others and that I fully understand the necessity of PPE and social distancing at all times and the methods of safe disposal of PPE. Where I work I have to be well within the 1m+ guidelines with at least one other worker to do the job and we have recently been told that they are not supplying the N95 face masks as they are too expensive and we downgrade to a less effective ( cheaper ) mask.... the N95 masks were rather good but we were told to use only one a working week. It is of course, a pathetic attempt from Head Office to cover their arses in case someone dies and the family sue.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Firstly, this government seems to have a rather liberal view on what is an " acceptable " level of deaths. Secondly, quite quickly, the government realised that the economy was more important than that liberal acceptable level of deaths.

I have gone back to work recently and have had to sign a document stating that I know and understand Covid transmission and the measures that have to be taken to minimise the risk to myself and others and that I fully understand the necessity of PPE and social distancing at all times and the methods of safe disposal of PPE. Where I work I have to be well within the 1m+ guidelines with at least one other worker to do the job and we have recently been told that they are not supplying the N95 face masks as they are too expensive and we downgrade to a less effective ( cheaper ) mask.... the N95 masks were rather good but we were told to use only one a working week. It is of course, a pathetic attempt from Head Office to cover their arses in case someone dies and the family sue.

report to HSE if you feel its inappropriate, you cant sign away statutory responsibilities of the company.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
report to HSE if you feel its inappropriate, you cant sign away statutory responsibilities of the company.

It is obviously inappropriate but we have now entered a " Buyers " market when it comes to jobs and working practices, my co-worker is happy to work an 8 hour day WITHOUT breaks and his hours are shown on our rota as 07.00 - 15.00 . So, at almost 60 years old, do I risk getting sacked from my job which is marginally above minimum wage with a less than glowing reference on principle or do I stick it out as usual and hope i don't die In-Service ?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It is obviously inappropriate but we have now entered a " Buyers " market when it comes to jobs and working practices, my co-worker is happy to work an 8 hour day WITHOUT breaks and his hours are shown on our rota as 07.00 - 15.00 . So, at almost 60 years old, do I risk getting sacked from my job which is marginally above minimum wage with a less than glowing reference on principle or do I stick it out as usual and hope i don't die In-Service ?

that would be unfair dismissal if they sacked you, use your legal rights.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Our neighbour is a Deputy Head in London and despite what we are hearing from the Government, as it stands his school will not be able to fully reopen in September and he believes that will be the case for a number of others as well.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Our neighbour is a Deputy Head in London and despite what we are hearing from the Government, as it stands his school will not be able to fully reopen in September and he believes that will be the case for a number of others as well.

The DfE have spent a lot of time talking to schools and local authorities about how they can safely plan school transport for September. This was about to be agreed and shared but the Treasury have said it's too expensive. There is a balance between cost and lives and it seems like they've decided the economy wins

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

A full month to swot up on how other countries are rising to the challenge tho eh?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here