WOW!

Also, a new motto.

"Hands, face, space, get a test."

???

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Government said throughout that they wouldn't hesitate to reimplement restrictions, if there were signs that CV19 was increasing.

That's now.

Starmer and Burnham fully have agreed with this move, Burnham and other regional leaders were part of the committee that initially decided some of these moves yesterday.

Starmer's criticism is that communication was flawed and inadequate.

We'll have to get used to this rollercoaster for many months, potentially for a year or two to come.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure I'd describe it as a U-turn.

It's exactly what we were told would happen if/when infection rates started to rise.

I've had my fingers hovering over a new thread about when we would see infections rising again, as it has seemed inevitable to me, based on the loosening that has taken place.

All strikes me as very sensible, right now.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure I'd describe it as a U-turn.

Feel free to change thread title to "applies handbrake" if you like.

Point is, they're postponing the relaxation of some rules and reversing others - at v short notice.

I mean, "Your wedding tomorrow is off"... :mad:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Feel free to change thread title to "applies handbrake" if you like.

Point is, they're postponing the relaxation of some rules and reversing others - at v short notice.

I mean, "Your wedding tomorrow is off"... :mad:

Well, one could let a mass gathering go ahead.

Great plan.

Possibly should give say, a month's notice, see what occurs in the meantime.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Well, one could let a mass gathering go ahead.

Great plan.

Possibly should give say, a month's notice, see what occurs in the meantime.

Well, they've literally given weeks notice on everything else - eg mask usage.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Leisure centres closed.???

Unless you have read something I haven't, not true. Bowling and Skating will not open as planned but I have seen nothing about leisure centres and gyms other than Wales opening on 10th August.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm a cynic ... always have been .... and while I understand the delay in lifting some lockdown rules I suspect there's far more behind the government's reluctance to extend the WFH advice. So the action that millions of people do - i.e. go to work and mingle will now be allowed but god forbid more than 30 people go to a wedding. Utterly mixed messages.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know, it’s a joke isn’t it, I guess it sounds an awful lot better than the OP titling it “Government sees rise in infections and have reacted quickly”

The OP was all over Jicinder when she reacted quickly....

Reacted quickly with guidelines that make no sense, how is going to work (more so the travel) less of a risk than going to a wedding where you know everyone?

Cinemas ok, outside spaced horse racing, no

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'm a cynic ... always have been .... and while I understand the delay in lifting some lockdown rules I suspect there's far more behind the government's reluctance to extend the WFH advice. So the action that millions of people do - i.e. go to work and mingle will now be allowed but god forbid more than 30 people go to a wedding. Utterly mixed messages.

Some big companies (Costa, Pret) and owners of very lucrative city centre (mainly London) property, both business and residential, will be putting a lot of pressure on government to get people back into city centre offices. A long term move to WFH will cause a reduction in property value. And that is where wealth is made and held. We all know rich people's wealth is more important than poor people's health.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Christ you should get a job writing headlines for Sky News !

I know, it’s a joke isn’t it, I guess it sounds an awful lot better than the OP titling it “Government sees rise in infections and have reacted quickly”

The OP was all over Jicinder when she reacted quickly....

And if you had read beyond the subject heading you will have seen that I conceded "applies handbrake" would have been a better choice of words.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Some big companies (Costa, Pret) and owners of very lucrative city centre (mainly London) property, both business and residential, will be putting a lot of pressure on government to get people back into city centre offices. A long term move to WFH will cause a reduction in property value. And that is where wealth is made and held. We all know rich people's wealth is more important than poor people's health.

Oh agreed. But some big companies - IBM and Capita for example - have been reducing their real estate for many years. All of a sudden others have discovered they could save a fortune. There will still be the backward companies - a local telecoms company that might just employ a couple of Albion ex-footballers for example - that don't trust their employees enough for WFH BUT they won't save Pret etc. In a way I feel a little sorry for the government - they need to encourage business to go back to office work to keep other businesses running but on the other hand they need to be seem to discourage travel to reduce the country's carbon footprint. Needs a complete re-structure of the economy really.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here