Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton eyeing “ambitious” transfer swoop for Ainsley Maitland-Niles

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
According to John Cross at the Mirror. Less of the “ambitious” please John

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...hton-eyeing-ambitious-transfer-swoop-22444692

EXCLUSIVE: The ambitious South Coast club have already shown their intentions by signing Adam Lallana on a free transfer and a £900,000 move for Dutch defender Joel Veltman

John Cross
Brighton are eyeing Arsenal midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles for a summer move.

The ambitious South Coast club have already shown their intentions by signing Adam Lallana on a free transfer and a £900,000 move for Dutch defender Joel Veltman.

They are also keeping close tabs on Maitland-Niles as the former England under-21 midfielder faces a big decision on his future this summer.

Maitland-Niles has got three years left on his current deal, is not one of the biggest earners in the squad and has made it clear his priority is to get regular first-team football.

Ideally that would be at Arsenal but his opportunities have been limited and that has alerted several clubs and there is interest in the academy graduate.

Maitland-Niles, 22, was part of England’s under-20 World Cup winning squad in 2017 and is therefore known by Brighton technical director Dan Ashworth from his time at the Football Association.

Arsenal may be in a position this summer where they have to sell before they can buy and Mikel Arteta may look to shake up his squad.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Saw these rumours on twitter. Probably little truth in it, but would be a Potter style signing in that he can play multiple positions.

Could we see him as a left wing back?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A journo asked GP during the Burnley pre-match press briefing if we were interested in him.
As each journo is only allowed a couple of questions each it made me think there must be some solid reason for the question.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why don’t footballers have normal names anymore? FFS, what happened to ‘Smith’ on the back of shirts, first name ‘Bob?’ Instead we get ‘Paladine-Putchateafin’, first name ‘Emperor‘ but goes by the name Scorzey according to the squad index.

Is it any wonder football has lost its way. There’s no room for such names in sticker albums either. :censored:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A journo asked GP during the Burnley pre-match press briefing if we were interested in him.
As each journo is only allowed a couple of questions each it made me think there must be some solid reason for the question.

And GP had a wry smile. My prediction. I think this deal may be already done.

Encouraging that Arsenal fans don’t want him to leave.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Why don’t footballers have normal names anymore? FFS, what happened to ‘Smith’ on the back of shirts, first name ‘Bob?’ Instead we get ‘Paladine-Putchateafin’, first name ‘Emperor‘ but goes by the name Scorzey according to the squad index.

Is it any wonder football has lost its way. There’s no room for such names in sticker albums either. :censored:

because of the revenue lettering on replica shirts is charged by the letter, Bob Smith = 8 x 5 bob, whereas Jonnnodeariecloudbaby Onabeachmooonlitshagmequick-Hotcummings is a lot more 5 bob’s

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Now this is a VERY good player and he is ridiculously quick. Would definitely be excited about it.

I thought it was a goer but unfortunately he played for arsenal in the fa cup semi final and arteta is making noises that he wants to play him in the final.

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Seeing as John Cross is a well respected football journalist and is Mr Arsenal, perhaps this isn't the usual tabloid nonsense and there is some truth to this story.

Can't say I've seen enough of him to make a judgement....in the words of the ignorant..."Is he any good?"

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Be more than happy if this was true.

Ticks lots of the boxes of what we are looking for.

Maitland-Niles, a LB and another striker and business IN for the window done

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
And GP had a wry smile. My prediction. I think this deal may be already done.

Encouraging that Arsenal fans don’t want him to leave.

So simply because of his wry smile you think the deal has already been done? Crikey that's one heck of a conclusion, he may equally have been smiling because he thought the question was a ridiculous one!

I would love to think you were right though!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A player that certainly needs a dosage of confidence, mixed in with a sprinkle of awareness, but i think he would more gain that with us than them. A touch of the Solly March's for me, in that he looks around for instruction rather than naturally knowing where to go and what to do next with almost unquestionable belief. I wouldn't say no though, for a reasonable price.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Seems to have been used as a bit of a utility player at Arsenal. Where would he fit in with us?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Probably a PB driven move given the extra revenue available from the excessive characters on the back of the shirt together with a double digit number,

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Right back in 90% of those clips.

I'd argue we're reasonably stocked

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Seems to have been used as a bit of a utility player at Arsenal. Where would he fit in with us?

But, as I said on the Veltman thread, that's to his advantage - Potter likes a player who can swing both ways :)

I even mentioned AMN as someone he'd be interested in.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He wants regular football, but Arsenal are unlikely to give him any guarantee, so we may be in the box seat.

The fact that John Cross is confirming our interest is quite telling.

Once the cup final is out of the way, we may see movement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here