Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Criteria to justify the tag 'world class'

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We've never been thick, sad, needy, desperate, tinpot, mistaken or foolish enough to suggest we have a world class player, but what is a reasonable definition?

When I spoke to a chap at work about this, he suggested that if a player is in the top 3 of his position globally that would do it. I think that's a wee bit restrictive. Maybe 'top 5' is a bit fairer.

Any other suggestions or comments?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
International class, is someone who could realistically considered for their national team

World class is someone who could realistically be considered for some earthings XI v martians XI

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
We've never been thick, sad, needy, desperate, tinpot, mistaken or foolish enough to suggest we have a world class player, but what is a reasonable definition?

When I spoke to a chap at work about this, he suggested that if a player is in the top 3 of his position globally that would do it. I think that's a wee bit restrictive. Maybe 'top 5' is a bit fairer.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Was coached by Bielsa.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
One of the top 3 players in a specific position based on a standard formation of 4-4-2 or arguably now a 4-3-3. For example that allows only 3 world class left backs but 6 world class centre backs

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am quite generous with it, to me its essentially any player who wouldnt look stupid against any opposition, meaning there is like 100-300 world class players around.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I would say a player who would get into any team and make it better. There aren't very many of them. Personally, I think Lewandowski is the best number 9 in world football right now but I don't think I'd consider him World Class. I think Messi and Ronaldo have raised the bar so much over the last few years that everyone is going to seem below them, maybe that's working against Lewandowski in my opinion, I'm not sure. But he's the best number 9 in the world for me at the moment. Harry Kane is behind him, and you have to mention Ciro Immobile considering the season he's having for Lazio but he's been a failure at other clubs and I don't think anyone would call him world class.

Sergio Ramos and Van Dijk are probably the best two central defenders in the world and I'd call Ramos world class, but I'm not sure about Van Dijk. He's got an amazing aura about him and people buy into the myth that surround him, but world class? I'm not so sure. It's a very high bar.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I guess I've always just thought of it to mean a stand-out player for an elite club (elite meaning deep into Champions League knock outs sort of level). So for me there's probably 30-40 players who'd fit that bracket.

Bit European centric, maybe, but it's hard to avoid it in football these days.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I would say a player who would get into any team and make it better. There aren't very many of them. Personally, I think Lewandowski is the best number 9 in world football right now but I don't think I'd consider him World Class. I think Messi and Ronaldo have raised the bar so much over the last few years that everyone is going to seem below them, maybe that's working against Lewandowski in my opinion, I'm not sure. But he's the best number 9 in the world for me at the moment. Harry Kane is behind him, and you have to mention Ciro Immobile considering the season he's having for Lazio but he's been a failure at other clubs and I don't think anyone would call him world class.

Sergio Ramos and Van Dijk are probably the best two central defenders in the world and I'd call Ramos world class, but I'm not sure about Van Dijk. He's got an amazing aura about him and people buy into the myth that surround him, but world class? I'm not so sure. It's a very high bar.

Discounting Lewandowski and VVD is like putting the bar on the top floor of the Burj Khalifa.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I’m probably too too generous with my opinion, but to me, it’s a player who has played in the World Cup.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here