Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New deal for Steven Alzate

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Steven Alzate has signed a new contract which will keep him at the club until June 2024 following his breakthrough campaign with the Seagulls.

The midfielder featured regularly this season before suffering a groin injury which meant surgery earlier this month.

As well as making 11 starts, Alzate also made his first international appearances for Colombia.

He said, “I am really pleased to commit my future to the club. Brighton have shown a huge amount of faith in me and I have been treated really well.”

Alzate is grateful for the support of head coach Graham Potter during his first season in the top flight.

“The manager has been integral for me. He gave me the opportunity to make my debut and to kick on from there,” he added.

“When I made my debut I had to prove myself, but he has given me the opportunity to make that impression and I think I have taken it with both hands.”

Having had successful surgery, the 21-year-old is now looking forward to pre-season training and a chance to establish himself in the team. So, looking ahead, what would be consider a successful 2020/21?

“Success would be getting many more appearances, more than I have made this season. I want to start more games and maybe spend less time on the injury list!” he said.

“It was my first season and maybe my body is just getting used to the tempo of the league but I want to be more involved and become a crucial part of the team.”

Technical director Dan Ashworth said, “Steven made great strides this season until his injury and his attitude and commitment are a great example to the younger players at the club. We’re looking forward to seeing how much he progresses over the next few seasons and to working with him.”

See also: New deal for Aaron Connolly

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Way to beat the official Twitter page who just teased it!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Could this be to match the terms that Ben White is going to be offered? You'd presume that, as first team squad members, they'd want to be on at least similar terms to someone with 0 Premier League games under his belt.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Fantastic news!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Could this be to match the terms that Ben White is going to be offered? You'd presume that, as first team squad members, they'd want to be on at least similar terms to someone with 0 Premier League games under his belt.

No- it is protecting our assets on new longer term deals with pay to reflect their new squad status. The world doesn't revolve around one player who had a good season in a lower division.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Excellent news! My favourite of all our young prospects. Expect him to start a lot more this year if he's injury free. Possibly taking Propper's role if his form doesn't pick up.

Ben White contract extension next please.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
No- it is protecting our assets on new longer term deals with pay to reflect their new squad status. The world doesn't revolve around one player who had a good season in a lower division.

Obviously they've proved themselves this year and deserve the deals but lets be serious, all wages are competitive. Ben White has interest from elsewhere and to satisfy his contract demands, you'd accordingly need to satisfy similar players that you also value.

Aaron Connolly had 2 years left on his current deal.
Steven Alzate had 3 years left on his current deal.

Whilst we've added a couple of years onto Connolly's the idea that we could have lost them on their current terms in this transfer window and had to pin them down is wrong, especially in Alzate's case. He's only had an extra year added to his contract so you'd have to say it is about a pay rise. Great news! The timing and pairing of the two players being announced at the same time simply implies that, across the board, the club are offering new deals to reflect a new normal. Inferring that Ben White will get a new deal, the club are simply pro-actively getting their house in order.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Nothing but my own supposition, but I wouldnt be surprised if White signs a new extended deal later in the window. Once Leeds have moved on to somebody else and the heat is dialled down a notch or two. Personally would love White to sign today in his Albion top!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Obviously they've proved themselves this year and deserve the deals but lets be serious, all wages are competitive. Ben White has interest from elsewhere and to satisfy his contract demands, you'd accordingly need to satisfy similar players that you also value.

Aaron Connolly had 2 years left on his current deal.
Steven Alzate had 3 years left on his current deal.

Whilst we've added a couple of years onto Connolly's the idea that we could have lost them on their current terms in this transfer window and had to pin them down is wrong, especially in Alzate's case. He's only had an extra year added to his contract so you'd have to say it is about a pay rise. Great news! The timing and pairing of the two players being announced at the same time simply implies that, across the board, the club are offering new deals to reflect a new normal. Inferring that Ben White will get a new deal, the club are simply pro-actively getting their house in order.

When he got the last contract he was a promising u23 player

Now he’s a full member of the first team squad and after his op, a serious contender for a place in our best starting XI.

He was always going to get his payrise to reflect his elevated status

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good news, he's a very useful squad player.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Absolutely deserved, and he is as exciting a prospect if not more than Ben White. Alzate has already proved he can be a game changer in the PL.

Now... Ben White news next?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The strength of the youth across our squad now starting to look frighteningly impressive.

Bissouma, Connolly, Alzate, Molumby, White, Lamptey, Ostigard, Sanchez, Macallister.

Gonna be some serious money associated with that group.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Are we allowed to cut and paste articles from external sites now? I thought this was banned, but this looks like it good now!

Leave off, this is getting tedious. It isn't an article from another site. It's a press release dropped into Bozza's inbox with the express intention that he replicate it in full here. And yes, it's replicated word for word on the team site as well - that's usually the way it happens with PR like this.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here