Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10 Years on

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The usual suspects spouting off about the standard of Dutch football prompted me to have a look at this. Here is our team for the 2-1 win away to Swindon on the opening day 10 years ago.

Brighton
16 Ankergren
04 Elphick
06 El-Abd
14 Calderon
22 Painter
08 Navarro
10 Sparrow
24 Smith (Hart 83)
25 Kishishev (Dicker 57)
26 Bennett
09 Barnes
Substitutes
19 Poke, 02 Whing, 05 Battipied, 11 Baz, 15 Hart, 18 Dicker, 20 Holroyd

Now

1 Mathew Ryan 59 caps for Australia
2 Tariq Lamptey DF England U18,19 and 20
4 Shane Duffy 32 caps for ROI
5 Lewis Dunk (captain) 1 cap for Engalnd
6 Dale Stephens
7 Neal Maupay France U21
8 Yves Bissouma 16 caps for Mali
10 Alexis Mac Allister 2 caps for Argentina
11 Leandro Trossard Belgian U21 and Senior squad member
13 Pascal Groß Germany U19
14 Adam Lallana 34 caps for England
15 Adam Webster England U19
16 Alireza Jahanbakhsh 50 caps for Iran
17 Glenn Murray (vice-captain)
18 Aaron Mooy 43 caps for Australia
19 José Izquierdo 6 caps for Colombia
20 Solly March England U21
22 Martín Montoya Spain U23 and 6 caps for Catalonia
23 Jason Steele England U21 and GB Olympics
24 Davy Pröpper 19 caps for Netherlands
27 David Button England U20
28 Tudor Băluță 7 caps for Romania
30 Bernardo
33 Dan Burn
34 Joël Veltman 22 caps for Netherlands
44 Aaron Connolly 2 caps for ROI
46 Steven Alzate 2 caps for Colombia
— Florin Andone 25 caps for Romania
— Matt Clarke
— Jayson Molumby ROI U21
— Percy Tau 24 caps for South Africa
— Christian Walton England U21
— Ben White No International recognition but played for the bestest team and bestest manager in the Universe.
— Leo Østigård Norway U21

I'll let someone else work out the caps for the 2010/11 team but this ain't a bad squad.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Loved seeing Kishishev make it look so easy in Div 1. Was that the game before we brought Greer?

Greer was already a Brighton player, he was suspended for 3 games after being sent off in Swindon's second leg playoff game against Charlton. He missed the final, our opening game against Swindon and a League Cup game against Northampton. He made his debut for us against Rochdale and was sent off.

Murray was also missing that first game serving the last of a 3 game ban for a red card the previous season against Bristol Rovers.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Loved seeing Kishishev make it look so easy in Div 1. Was that the game before we brought Greer?

We were singing ‘Where’s your Captain gone?!’ for most of the afternoon so I hope not!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Greer was already a Brighton player, he was suspended for 3 games after being sent off in Swindon's second leg playoff game against Charlton. He missed the final, our opening game against Swindon and a League Cup game against Northampton. He made his debut for us against Rochdale and was sent off.

Murray was also missing that first game serving the last of a 3 game ban for a red card the previous season against Bristol Rovers.

I love your memory on this era. Let’s see if I get this one right... Murray came in as a sub and within 10 mins or so threw an elbow, possibly slightly off the ball, at a player. Nobody really saw it and realised what he had done but it was very silly having just come on. There was a classic knee jerk NSC thread with ‘That’s Murray’s last game for us’ and loads of knee jerking posters agreeing - how funny is that now!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
88 caps for Bulgaria.

I really can't recall how he ended up here (second child was born autumn 2010 so it was a mental year). Was it an early indicator of the power of Poyet and Bloom that would later see Bridge and Vicente arrive?

"How would you like to see out your glittering career Radostin?"

"In an athletics stadium playing Walsall and Dagenham and Redbridge"

"Perfect, let me introduce you to Mr Bloom and Mr Poyet here"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I really can't recall how he ended up here (second child was born autumn 2010 so it was a mental year). Was it an early indicator of the power of Poyet and Bloom that would later see Bridge and Vicente arrive?

"How would you like to see out your glittering career Radostin?"

"In an athletics stadium playing Walsall and Dagenham and Redbridge"

"Perfect, let me introduce you to Mr Bloom and Mr Poyet here"

I'm not sure how he arrived but it ended in tragedy for him. He went back to Bulgaria around February for a couple of weeks, and then back permanently at the end of the year. His wife died of cancer not long afterwards aged only 38.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here