Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Callum Wilson

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
To make a signing like Wilson worthwhile an investment of say £20m plus say £16m for a 3 year contract = ball park £36m over the course of his contract assuming little or no resell value for a 32yr old. He is going to have to score a lot of goals to justify it? If you look at his scoring record there is not much there to suggest he would justify it. If he scored at a rate similar to Maupay you'd be looking at about £1m a goal over 3 years. Proper fag packet stuff but its a big investment in a 29 year old. His current record suggests he wouldn't score anymore than that level just the 8 last season.

He's not a bad player far from it but hes not a smart signing for a club like ours IMO. Of course he could come in and score 20 and get us to europe but his record suggests he wouldn't.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To think some people worried about Lallana's injury record but aren't bothered about the fact that Wilson has done his ACL twice in three years.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To make a signing like Wilson worthwhile an investment of say £20m plus say £16m for a 3 year contract = ball park £36m over the course of his contract assuming little or no resell value for a 32yr old. He is going to have to score a lot of goals to justify it? If you look at his scoring record there is not much there to suggest he would justify it. If he scored at a rate similar to Maupay you'd be looking at about £1m a goal over 3 years. Proper fag packet stuff but its a big investment in a 29 year old. His current record suggests he wouldn't score anymore than that level just the 8 last season.

He's not a bad player far from it but hes not a smart signing for a club like ours IMO. Of course he could come in and score 20 and get us to europe but his record suggests he wouldn't.

Thank you, exactly. This would be a rather un-creative and short term signing.

Not only the primary striker for an utterly dismal Bournemouth side and a player who has peaked, but would also have little to no re-sale value and would cost a premium.

No thank you. This would be a signing we’d be all over in the Hughton era. I suspect Potter and Ashworth are a little more forward thinking.

Some contributors here would have us buy Josh King as well. Shall we add Ryan Fraser to that and buy the other half of the drastically terrible Bournemouth side as well?

YesMooy

Jul 31, 2020
If Brighton go for a Bournemouth forward, Joshua King might be the better option. 28, has scored 12+ goals in a premier league season twice already. That said Everton, Newcastle and Burnley have all been linked to him too

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
TBH both Josh King and Ryan Fraser are better buys IMO. Both are younger if only slightly and King's goalscoring record at this level is pretty good and he apparently comes at a lower fee. Fraser clearly has ability although someone who refused to play in his teams hour of need I wonder about the 'no dickheads' rule. Free transfer does make a difference though although his wage demands will be high.

The fact they come from a relegated team shouldn't matter, Bournemouth's problems were defensive in the main. I can see one or both being on their list just maybe not at the top...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The fact they come from a relegated team shouldn't matter, Bournemouth's problems were defensive in the main. I can see one or both being on their list just maybe not at the top...

And yet they can sell their centre back for £41m ... and that's deemed a bargain.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
What, somebody trousering £5 and a half Million a year from the Albion's budget?

No a big strong CF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
We have better in Maupay in my opinion and he's overpaid occasionally lazy and will think he is above us. No dickhead policy still in place so not for me.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wilson is a good player but likes to start wide and come into the middle from there, I think we have players like that. Josh King is more in the Murray mould which is the kind of player we need more, and he's the one I'd like us to target if indeed we have interest there

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We have better in Maupay in my opinion and he's overpaid occasionally lazy and will think he is above us. No dickhead policy still in place so not for me.

Completely different to Maupay, which is my point

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
There's lots of strikers different to Maupay, so why him? Especially considering the wage demands, the lack of effort he has given last season, the way he ridiculed us after they beat us. Just don't think we'd be in for him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There's lots of strikers different to Maupay, so why him? Especially considering the wage demands, the lack of effort he has given last season, the way he ridiculed us after they beat us. Just don't think we'd be in for him.

He's got 35 goals in 112 PL apps. That is pretty much 12 goals per season. When he's been in great form, he has been excellent. I can't remember what the ridiculed was?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
At a £100k a week , there is no way we would pay that. In my opinion I would like someone tall and pacey, so if Watkins was deemed to be what we want I would be happy to take the chance.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Because he is the type of striker we should be after IMHO. However, interested to hear the better value alternatives?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
At a £100k a week , there is no way we would pay that. In my opinion I would like someone tall and pacey, so if Watkins was deemed to be what we want I would be happy to take the chance.

£100k is conjecture

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here