Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Callum Wilson

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
How? He isn't that good. 12 goals a season average.. looks okay on paper but Danny Ings got nearly twice as much this past season. 100k a week rumoured wages, done his ACL twice. Absolutely terrible at times this season. I'll give you some in my opinion better options for us who I would rather have. Ollie Watkins, Karlan Grant, Ashley Barnes, Jhon Cordoba, Robin Quaison even Josh King at Bournemouth would probably be a better suited to us. Probably more but off the top of my head those are ones I would at least look at.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
How? He isn't that good. 12 goals a season average.. looks okay on paper but Danny Ings got nearly twice as much this past season. 100k a week rumoured wages, done his ACL twice. Absolutely terrible at times this season. I'll give you some in my opinion better options for us who I would rather have. Ollie Watkins, Karlan Grant, Ashley Barnes, Jhon Cordoba, Robin Quaison even Josh King at Bournemouth would probably be a better suited to us. Probably more but off the top of my head those are ones I would at least look at.

OW - yes, but his fee may be bigger, wages I expect lower

JK - wages?

All the others - no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We are not digging in the bargain basement anymore. Small-team mentality .

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
We are not digging in the bargain basement anymore. Small-team mentality .

No, but we're definitely still digging in the 'value for money' pot, which I'm not sure Wilson represents. We'd be paying a big fee for a player with an awful injury record, massive wages and a player who's hit double figures once in 5 seasons (only scoring one more goal than a 35 year old Glenn Murray did in that season btw) and has very little resale value (29 in February), which does not show good value for money in my opinion and I'd be very surprised if it did in TB's

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
OW - yes, but his fee may be bigger, wages I expect lower

JK - wages?

All the others - no

Why not Cordoba? At his peak, strong pacy 6' 2" forward, scoring 12 Bundesliga goals for a side that just avoided relegation, and countryman Izquierdo to show him around town.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Why not Cordoba? At his peak, strong pacy 6' 2" forward, scoring 12 Bundesliga goals for a side that just avoided relegation, and countryman Izquierdo to show him around town.

Fair enough. You seem to know more about this phenomenon than I do. Don’t you feel like we are now moving more towards more proven talent for the Prem? No more Locadia-type punts I expect...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough. You seem to know more about this phenomenon than I do. Don’t you feel like we are now moving more towards more proven talent for the Prem? No more Locadia-type punts I expect...

I think that having made it into season four in the Prem with a stable board and manager on a long contract we'll be seen as a safer bet by players and their agents. However, I don't think we're at £30 mill strikers on £80K a week yet like, say, Newcastle or Everton.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think that having made it into season four in the Prem with a stable board and manager on a long contract we'll be seen as a safer bet by players and their agents. However, I don't think we're at £30 mill strikers on £80K a week yet like, say, Newcastle or Everton.

Top 10 goal means we have to loosen the purse strings, otherwise it is just hot air

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Top 10 goal means we have to loosen the purse strings, otherwise it is just hot air

Burnley. Sheffield Utd.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Bogota is the only town Izquierdo will be showing people round any time soon.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well, good examples, but exceptions...

You want more?
Bournemouth, WBA 16/17
Stoke 15/16
Stoke / Swansea 14/15
Stoke 13/14
WBA, Swansea 12/13
WBA 11/12

So, in reality, almost every season someone other than big clubs Liverpool, Everton, Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham and Leicester/Wolves finishes in the Top 10.

And I'm not even including perennial Prem mid-tablers Southampton or Palace there.

History shows you can break into the Top 10 without spending crazy money. Burnley, Stoke, WBA, Swansea have shown you can even - with a fair wind - stay there for 2-3 seasons.

And Leicester built a title winning side without paying more than £10 million for any individual players in their team. They are the template; recruit well, get two or three players to have breakout seasons at the same time and that will take you to the level where you can spend the big bucks.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The Lallana connection my be the only thing that could enable it, I think Origi will see himself better than Brighton presently.
Overrated. Has hardly scored any for liverpool and they create bucket loads.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You want more?
Bournemouth, WBA 16/17
Stoke 15/16
Stoke / Swansea 14/15
Stoke 13/14
WBA, Swansea 12/13
WBA 11/12

So, in reality, almost every season someone other than big clubs Liverpool, Everton, Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham and Leicester/Wolves finishes in the Top 10.

And I'm not even including perennial Prem mid-tablers Southampton or Palace there.

History shows you can break into the Top 10 without spending crazy money. Burnley, Stoke, WBA, Swansea have shown you can even - with a fair wind - stay there for 2-3 seasons.

And Leicester built a title winning side without paying more than £10 million for any individual players in their team. They are the template; recruit well, get two or three players to have breakout seasons at the same time and that will take you to the level where you can spend the big bucks.

You are missing the key point. We are looking to be in the top 10 consistently?, not just to pop in there and then struggle again. You even mention how rare it is...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You are missing the key point. We are looking to be in the top 10 consistently?, not just to pop in there and then struggle again. You even mention how rare it is...

Ah, you've changed the goalposts. Your original point was you can't reach the top 10 without spending big, which I disproved with two sides, who you then said were exceptions so I provided 4 more.

You've now from nowhere introduced the word 'consistently'. I think with a moneyball transfer policy, a good youth set-up and a decent manager it is possible to stay in the Top 10 for several seasons, and there's no reason why the Albion can't emulate what, say, Burnley have done. There are a lot of dumb chairman out there who consistently overpay for rubbish, and while that remains you always have a chance.

I get it is hard to break into the Top 10 and stay there but then we have certain advantages: Stadium and training facilities already bought and paid for, a committed Chairman, top class Chief Executive and Technical Director, broad supporter base, excellent links with the community. We've got this far doing it the Albion way and I'm comfortable that our recruitment policy is working.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The consistent top 10 was not plucked from nowhere it is the stated goal of our club’s leaders

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here