Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We've moved up a level

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Get the feeling he's just going to go with Maupay and Connolly - and the odd cameo from Murray - for at least the first half of the season, while trying to coax more goals out of midfield and defence

Well if each of our defenders scored just 2 goals, we’d have something like 600 goals next year.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
For that to happened we'd need to be able to get a corner to do something other than fly over everyones' heads or land at the feet of the closet defender.

Delivery has been a problem too yes. That's why I don't bother hoping for anything from free kicks and corners any more. I'm sure Lallana can deliver a ball though...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Get the feeling he's just going to go with Maupay and Connolly - and the odd cameo from Murray - for at least the first half of the season, while trying to coax more goals out of midfield and defence

I do hope not, it's the bain of many a decent relegated team. No goalscorers. If there's one position worth spending the big bucks it's here.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think we'll improve our league position next season so I do think we'll finish above most of those. I'd chuck in Burnley, Southampton and Sheffield Utd as teams who won't get much above us. I expect a surprise struggler as well. Tipping Everton to be bottom half.

I expect us to be part of a very congested mid table

Lallana long term injury and it's as you were....... If lockdown hadn't of happened (with our confidence shot at that point and poor results) I think we would've gone down.

Bold talk of mid table is premature.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

If you are proved correct then I will not refrain from complaining if we struggle.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We're becoming a club similar to the likes of Southampton and Newcastle, I believe, with our presence in the PL over multiple seasons.

And with that there is always the risk of one bad season sending you down. See West Brom, Sunderland, and Stoke for recent examples.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've made a bold statement by bringing in Lallana and Veltman, but we won't worry the bigger clubs until we bring in a quality striker.

These are the sort of signings I'd associate with a club in the second quartile of the Prem food chain, like Leicester, Everton, Wolves, West Ham, Newcastle.

What is does do is worry the likes of Villa, Palace, Leeds and West Brom, especially the first two who are likely to both lose their star players over the summer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We're loose :moo:

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
This was the first season people weren't tipping Bournemouth for relegation - and look what happened.

Totally agree that we need to progress, and it's looking great, but talk of becoming an 'established Premier League team' scares the hell out of me!

If we can be safe enough, early enough that we can have a crack at the League Cup, that would be brilliant.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
There’s no such thing as “established Premier League” for a club our size. About the best that can be hoped for is something like Stoke managed - a ~10 year run in the top flight. This is the reality, but that’s by no means a negative thing. We should enjoy it while we’re here and when we eventually go down hopefully we will be in a good position to bounce back up again.

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
I do feel we're progressing as a squad, club & an ability to attract a better calibre of player.

We'll still most likely be in & around the bottom 10 clubs in the Premier League position wise which is always first & foremost, a battle to secure safety as quickly as possible.

Definitely moving in the right direction but we mustn't ever take this journey we're on for granted. I'm very excited to see the next chapter though, I really feel we may be capable of pushing on a bit more next season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I don't see us as being perceived as "Probably not going to get relegated" - Read any of these so-called experts making their predictions at the beginning of every season and we're nailed on to go down by nearly all of them.
Even at the beginning of the season, see the odds from the bookies - this is what everyone's perception is before the ball's been kicked. Loads of people still continue to underestimate us, and long may that continue.

Absolutely true. Bookies have Leeds far more likely to survive than us - but I think that's just to try and take money from giddy Yorkshiremen.

I find it amusing, that they have a squad that's done well against teams that aren't anywhere near good enough to be at the bottom of the Premier League. But somehow there is this expectation that they will get to the Prem and comfortably deal with at least half of their matches.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Absolutely true. Bookies have Leeds far more likely to survive than us - but I think that's just to try and take money from giddy Yorkshiremen.

I find it amusing, that they have a squad that's done well against teams that aren't anywhere near good enough to be at the bottom of the Premier League. But somehow there is this expectation that they will get to the Prem and comfortably deal with at least half of their matches.
As things stand, bookies have the playoff winners, West Brom and CPFC as favourites for the drop....

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
As things stand, bookies have the playoff winners, West Brom and CPFC as favourites for the drop....

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

That's only because they're expecting Palace to lose Zaha - let's check odds one week before kick off and see where the lines in the sand are.

I firmly believe we'll be in and around those considered as cannon fodder.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We've been saying that for years tho

And continuing to have successful seasons, maybe it's not the be all and end all that people think it is?
I would agree that Murray was the missing piece in the promotion squad, but other than that, I'm not so sure it is.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I suspect the bookies are taking enough money from them on the to Win the premier league/qualify for CL markets.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Lallana long term injury and it's as you were....... If lockdown hadn't of happened (with our confidence shot at that point and poor results) I think we would've gone down.

Bold talk of mid table is premature.

Absolute nonsense points away at Sheffield and Wolves signalled our run in form returning, we were always gonna beat the gunners ,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here