Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...n-initiation-song-more-daunting-than-bernabeu

Veltman: Initiation song more daunting than Bernabeu!
Dutch defender found life easier in a huge Champions League tie than singing in front of his Albion teammates.

I do hope we have a song for him.

I have adapted Danny Holla’s song which was rarely sung during lockdown and have been belting it our in the shower.

We met him in a bar in old Amsterdam
He was smoking a spliff,
He was drinking a can
Joely Veltman,
Oh oh Joely Veltman

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Alright, [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION], give it a rest with your self congratulatory post bounces.

If I ever get proved right about something, you won't see me doing it!

Sorry. I wouldn't normally, but my post was at the top of the page and I just thought it was funny how things have turned out :shrug:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Sorry. I wouldn't normally, but my post was at the top of the page and I just thought it was funny how things have turned out :shrug:

I make myself laugh, but rarely anyone else! It was a gag on [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] bouncing old posts months later if they show wisdom! It was said in jest. Veltman didn't seem to have much of a place in the squad earlier in the season but he was always a 900k bargain and now he's proven his class and worth to us.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
As good as he’s been, he’s prone to the odd crucial error. Equaliser v ManUtd and the goal last night easily avoided by him dealing with the ball better when actually not under pressure. All round game has been good, but his concentration could improve.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
unlike...

Well, every player makes mistakes, I’m pointing out that he’s made 2 crucial ones in positions he had the time to make a better decision. The board is full of opinion hanging forwards out to dry, but none really on why we conceded what was an embarrassingly dreadful goal, and he wasn’t the only one who had a chance to deal with that ball in their build-up.

We are allowed to discuss mistakes without qualifying every comment right? I’ve not criticised his ability or contributions to the side, just a couple of moments he’s lapsed concentration.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I actually think that he has proved to be the one player that I will look back and think he is worth sticking with at wing back.

I think he is a decent player.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, every player makes mistakes, I’m pointing out that he’s made 2 crucial ones in positions he had the time to make a better decision. The board is full of opinion hanging forwards out to dry, but none really on why we conceded what was an embarrassingly dreadful goal, and he wasn’t the only one who had a chance to deal with that ball in their build-up.

We are allowed to discuss mistakes without qualifying every comment right? I’ve not criticised his ability or contributions to the side, just a couple of moments he’s lapsed concentration.

Nope, I just banned you from the forum.

My point is that its pretty petty and silly always looking for a scapegoat. I'm pretty sure there is not one single player yesterday who didnt make a mistake or two.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I actually think that he has proved to be the one player that I will look back and think he is worth sticking with at wing back.

I think he is a decent player.

Completely agree, I’ve merely offered up that if he can improve his concentration just a bit more, he will continue to improve as a player with the pace of this league. He is that good that you are left scratching your head when he does make an unforced error.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Nope, I just banned you from the forum.

My point is that its pretty petty and silly always looking for a scapegoat. I'm pretty sure there is not one single player yesterday who didnt make a mistake or two.

It’s not a scapegoat, I’ve offered up an opinion that an improvement in his concentration will see an improved player - are you saying he can’t improve as a player?

In terms of mistakes, Maupay has been castigated for his misses, but I can’t offer up a bit of constructive criticism about Veltman or any other player without being petty? That’s just odd, that’s just you on the defensive for anything whatsoever you perceive as negative.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

Not sure we can apportion much blame to Veltman for their goal last night. Both Webster's poor touch and Gross failing to commit to the clearance were unforced errors, should have been dealt with. Veltman was positioned well, made the interception however should have put his foot through it.

He's certainly a condender for POTS. If Sanchez had started the season and maintained the same form but with him only playing half its Veltman for me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sure we can apportion much blame to Veltman for their goal last night. Both Webster's poor touch and Gross failing to commit to the clearance were unforced errors, should have been dealt with. Veltman was positioned well, made the interception however should have put his foot through it.

He's certainly a condender for POTS. If Sanchez had started the season and maintained the same form but with him only playing half its Veltman for me.

I don’t agree re last night, it really was a feeble clearance.

POTS wise, absolutely should be in the mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Joel has been quite a find but there are only 2 POTS contenders, Dunk and Biss.

For me in the first half of the season (the bit still in 2020) Dunk wasn't at his best with Maty in goal still. Maybe he was too worried about how Maty was playing or there were cracks in the partnership or the like? So in 2021 he has been imperious in defence that's not been season long.

And yes for PoS Veltman is definitely a very strong contender for season long consistency and performance.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As good as he’s been, he’s prone to the odd crucial error. Equaliser v ManUtd and the goal last night easily avoided by him dealing with the ball better when actually not under pressure. All round game has been good, but his concentration could improve.

At the time I thought he should have done better but having watched the goal a few times since the game, I don't think he can really be blamed. That was a tough ball to deal with and I think he did as much as could have. Webster and Gross far more culpable for me.

I thought he had another very good game overall. Just a fantastic footballer.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Joel should have hacked that into the stands, not try to clear it up the middle of the pitch obvs.

But yes, he's been brilliant on the whole.

It would be very interesting to see the pecking orders if everyone were fit, but I would guess Joel is ahead of White, Burn and Webster for a centre back slot if we had both Lamptey and March fit

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Webster's mistake was the worst really given how he's actively made a decision to try to take on the player rather than secure possession. Very high risk and completely took himself out of the game.

Given the numbers we had back, Dunk could have got closer to the cross. But fair play, it was a good one and he took it early.

Veltman MUST clear that though, he did all the hard work! Got back, saw the danger, was in the right place, but to miskick it in that situation and pearoll it to the edge of the box is terrible.

Gross got some bad luck trying to send it into row z instead of lunging in and risking a pen but I don't really blame him.

Looks an absolute comedy goal the more you see it though doesn't it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here