Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transfer Requests

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Seeing all of the Leeds fans saying that Ben White will hand in a transfer request to force a move got me thinking; have we ever accepted a transfer request?

Under Bloom I can remember us rejecting transfer requests from Bennett and Briductt (although both were eventually sold) and then Stephens.

Any others I have forgotten?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Dunk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seeing all of the Leeds fans saying that Ben White will hand in a transfer request to force a move got me thinking; have we ever accepted a transfer request?

Under Bloom I can remember us rejecting transfer requests from Bennett and Briductt (although both were eventually sold) and then Stephens.

Any others I have forgotten?

No idea whether there was a transfer request, but we did turn down three bids from Fulham for Dunk.

Edit:

According to this, Dunk put in a transfer request.

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...est-net-spenders-on-transfer-fees-since-2015/

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It doesn't really send out the greatest message to any potential buyer

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Didn’t Danny Cullip put in a request when someone like Cardiff were interested, everyone thought he was off but he ended up staying.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Didn’t Danny Cullip put in a request when someone like Cardiff were interested, everyone thought he was off but he ended up staying.

Was going to post his name but you beat me to it. He put in a transfer request to force through a move to Sheffield United but was only there for 3 months before moving back down south to Watford.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Was going to post his name but you beat me to it. He put in a transfer request to force through a move to Sheffield United but was only there for 3 months before moving back down south to Watford.

He did put a request in when Cardiff were interested in 2001.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5140798.cullips-shock-move-casts-shadow-over-albion/

I’m not sure if he put in a transfer request for the Sheffield United move, he had refused a new contract so we had no choice to sell or we’d have lost him for nothing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No idea whether there was a transfer request, but we did turn down three bids from Fulham for Dunk.

Edit:

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...est-net-spenders-on-transfer-fees-since-2015/

Dunk refused to play in a League Cup tie v Southend in 2015. He was fined 2 weeks wages. A few weeks later he signed an improved new 5 year contract.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14306889.amp/ (there's detail in here about Liam Bridcutt's transfer request)

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
What proportion of transfer requests are negotiating ploys and what proportion are a desire to play for a different club?

Where we have declined them it seems we have then given a better contract instead. Have we ever called someone's bluff and declined the request but not offered a new contract?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What proportion of transfer requests are negotiating ploys and what proportion are a desire to play for a different club?

Where we have declined them it seems we have then given a better contract instead. Have we ever called someone's bluff and declined the request but not offered a new contract?

Dale Stephens was entering the final year of his contract in the summer of 2016 when he handed in his transfer request (with Burnley making multiple bids for him). He didn't sign a new contract until the following May (after promotion had been achieved).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Getting a bit pissed off with this Ben White speculation now, those Leeds goons need putting out of their misery ASAP.

The sooner he gets his new multi-million pound Albion 5-year contract, the better!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
January 14, Poyet orchestrated this request:

17BD707B-9F72-4766-90B9-4DFBB5A95CC2.png

Bridcutt may’ve become rich, but he’s had a strange career since.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Edit:

This is a different scenario - The Manager was insistent on keeping Dunky and he knew he was one of the first names on the Teamsheet every week and the player himself had had his increased wage demands met.

Ben White will know what Leeds would be willing to offer him as he will be in personal contact with them - Coming back to Brighton he has no guarantees that he will even make the matchday squad without someone else losing out on a place. Even if someone like Duffy leaves in the close season. That only really creates a place on the bench and that's before he even starts to talk money.

I think for sure Brighton will want to bring him back but if the player himself doesn't feel that he will play regularly or the Club don't at least match what Leeds would be willing to offer him. What would be the merits of bringing someone back who might not be happy to come back.

I don't think anyone can really know until the Club have those discussions with the lad himself.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im sure there have been some accepted over time, Bloom era has been known for playing hard. We haven't loaned out a prospective player to sell, but to train and come back experienced. other than a very large truck of money i cant see us letting White go, i expect he's penciled in for playing first team this season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Peter o'Sullivan was on the transfer list almost straight after he joined, he got a testimonial 10 years later

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here