Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having just read Murray’s comments on Lallana and GP’s comments on Murray himself, I was wondering how many still have a “Judas” feeling towards GM

From my point of view, I was gutted when he went to Palace and really disappointed but his low key celebrations when he scored for Palace were appreciated. Also gutted that he was such a big part of Palace getting to the PL.

Delighted when he came back. He holds that unusual mantra of being a legend for both clubs.

Some seem to still hold his going to Palace (pushed out it seems) against him.

Are you one of them?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I never had a problem with Murray going to Palace, other than I was sorry to see him leave the club fullstop.

He's a professional footballer, not a STH.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Some people will always hold grudges and some people will blame either Glenn or the board/Gus for not offering him better terms before he left...especially as it didn't work out as hoped when we signed Mackail-Smith.

It's history for me, as long as we have learned from that then we move on. It's not as if it hasn't worked out well for us in the end.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
I was always more annoyed at Poyet/Bloom for not offering him the contract he deserved after our fantastic League 1 promotion year. For this first time in my lifetime we were going into the Championship with a squad that was capable of becoming a mid-table side rather than expecting to come straight back down and to lose your top scorer (for nothing) was criminal.

Still, it all worked out ok in the end! Absolutely loved Glenn then and even more so now. 100% an Albion legend.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I don't hold grudges, waste of time and energy.

Glenn is a model professional and respects both clubs and sets of fans, which is clear when he scores against either team. Something I much rather prefer than a false screw you celebration against a former team.

Legend

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah club ****ed up, not Glenn.

Bloke's a legend.

Hope to see him get a few more goals for us before he calls it a day.

Potter should have brought him on against Bournemouth and Palace IMO.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nope. He came back. He scored against them (more than once). They missed him.

All good with me.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Initially yes as he had other offers at the time but chose to move to our rivals. Had he decided to move to "anyone but palace" it certainly wouldn't have hurt so bad.

But a lot of water under the bridge since then; with the passing of time I have forgiven him :smile:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
No grudge at all.

The guy is an Albion legend. He directly contributed to our two promotions and is one of the most significant players in our history. Letting him go was a cock up by the club. The 3m fee from Bournemouth was probably one of the best pieces of business we have ever done.

Ward and Zamora are much loved but Glenn has contributed more to the clubs history I would argue.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I was at the time gutted/annoyed when he went to Palace. Even more gutted when he scored 30 goals and fired them to promotion after costing them nothing.

All in the past.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
This still being asked?

Gus ****ed up, it cost the club big time.

Glenn did absolutely nothing wrong, did the best for himself in what is a short career.

Came back and fired us in to the premier league, and played a massive role in keeping us up for first two seasons (along with a vital goal against WHU this one).

Anyone who doesn’t simply see him as an Albion legend needs to get their head screwed on.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Nope, top bloke is our Glenn. He never wanted to leave. Palace wanted him. No brainer for Muzza.

Albion legend and if Palace see him the same way, what's the problem?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I hold nothing against him for finding a new club after we allowed his contract to expire. He was given a better offer which decided not to match, I'm unsure why however I completely understand why we broke our transfer record to sign CMS who at the time modelled all of the attributes we were looking for in a striker.

Having said that in the early 00's I was a huge fan of Zamora for his ability on the pitch and his charisma off of it, he very quickly got legend status because he seemingly could do everything we wanted a striker to do. Murray has never gripped my heart in the same way despite his clear eye for goal and I'm unsure why

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No grudge at all.

The guy is an Albion legend. He directly contributed to our two promotions and is one of the most significant players in our history. Letting him go was a cock up by the club. The 3m fee from Bournemouth was probably one of the best pieces of business we have ever done.

Ward and Zamora are much loved but Glenn has contributed more to the clubs history I would argue.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here