Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
How many of you lot calling him a legend now were once laughing and calling him "one in ten Glenn (copyright NSC clique)" and saying he was useless and didn't care because he didn't wave enough? NSC is full of hypocrisy.

Based on the Would you welcome Glenn Murray back? thread from 2014 when he was still at Palace, the honest answer on NSC would be 'actually very few'.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?301797-Would-you-welcome-Glenn-Murray-back

In hindsight, it's a heartening read with the vast majority in favour of his return even whilst he was scoring up the road and only a year after the Play-Off SF pain.

The poll results:

250 - Yes
27 - Yes, but only if he clapped
50 - No
22 - It's the Summer...

So 277 Yes to 50 No.

Most on NSC have been supportive, regardless of when he was playing for the Albion and when he wasn't.

Glenn Murray has given much more to the Albion and its fans than he ever took from them.

We knew it then. We know it much more now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hated him for doing it, hated seeing him score for them, hated seeing him wearing their rancid kit... All forgotten the moment we resigned him - have to forgive and forget in life.

Now love the fact Palace made exactly the same mistake we did with him - he was a big reason we got promoted and it’s an exact parallel. Fortunately, Albion fans on the whole are honest and freely admitted hating him scoring for Palace... You’ll see the complete opposite from the Palace fans now who are in denial and claim they don’t care that he’s gone back to us and banged the goals in :lol: hurts them every time I assure you...

Who had the last laugh here :lol: :ffsparr:

Only Palace could have done this monumental **** up!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Would be interested to see how that tallies with the views from during his first spell, which is what I referred to. There were a fair few empty vessels throwing around "hilarious" nicknames and getting all snowflakey when he didn't clap.

I can't find the exact thread, but if memory serves me right, one person made a comment about the supposed lack of applause by Murray walking off the pitch.

Plenty of others subsequently took the person to task and it became a bit of a NSC joke, hence the 'Yes, but only if he clapped' option in the poll.

Either way, it was a very long time ago and much has changed for the better for player, club and fans alike.

It's probably best to let it go. No point in holding onto grudges on here. :smile:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't hold grudges, waste of time and energy.

Glenn is a model professional and respects both clubs and sets of fans, which is clear when he scores against either team. Something I much rather prefer than a false screw you celebration against a former team.

Legend

This exactly

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Hated him for doing it, hated seeing him score for them, hated seeing him wearing their rancid kit... All forgotten the moment we resigned him - have to forgive and forget in life.

Now love the fact Palace made exactly the same mistake we did with him - he was a big reason we got promoted and it’s an exact parallel. Fortunately, Albion fans on the whole are honest and freely admitted hating him scoring for Palace... You’ll see the complete opposite from the Palace fans now who are in denial and claim they don’t care that he’s gone back to us and banged the goals in :lol: hurts them every time I assure you...

Who had the last laugh here :lol: :ffsparr:

Only Palace could have done this monumental **** up!

Remember though CPFC2020 didn't sell him to us - he came via Bournemouth.

Glenn didn't want to leave - remember he still lived in Brighton whilst playing up the road, and even used to run round Preston Park in his Albion training gear.

Poyet wanted CMS, and Bloom backed his manager and Glenn left.

HUGE mistake by Poyet - without him leaving two things would have happened:

Glenn would be our all time leading goalscorer

Palace would be in the Championship/League 1

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Other subtle point is here is that the Murray we signed the second time round was a FAR better player than one that left us

Mainly thanks to our satellite development team up the A23 / M23 !

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Seen the club legend is not even making the Watford matchday squads the last few games.

Got to say I feel sorry for Glenn in what is surely his swansong. Doesnt seem to be injured, just not picked for even the bench.

I still reckon he's better than that, any chance of a recall and another possible option for the old fella? Forest perhaps, Even Crawley if he wants to stay local, is better than being a Watford outcast?

Still a few goals from that receding hairline to be had imho, hate this to be the way it ends for such a top fella

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Seen the club legend is not even making the Watford matchday squads the last few games.

Got to say I feel sorry for Glenn in what is surely his swansong. Doesnt seem to be injured, just not picked for even the bench.

I still reckon he's better than that, any chance of a recall and another possible option for the old fella? Forest perhaps, Even Crawley if he wants to stay local, is better than being a Watford outcast?

Still a few goals from that receding hairline to be had imho, hate this to be the way it ends for such a top fella

He’s not injured but there is a very good reason why he didn’t make today’s match day squad or the last one .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Was widely reported a few days ago that they had 3 first-teamers out after positive Covid tests, so might simply be that.

Its not that dazzer, or at least not the main reason if he now has covid?. He's not been picked for a matchday squad since October 27th away to Wycombe (was a sub), since then 7 first team league games over 5 weeks and not picked for 1 squad.

Im guessing to [MENTION=34864]Live by the sea[/MENTION] .... his cryptic riddle is that he is shit or something??

The thrust of my point is that there are still goals in the old fella at the right club for his last hurrah, that's obviously not Watford. Would be a sad end for a top player and fella to be excluded a season at Watford, there must be a willing suitor somewhere and I wonder if we could recall in January to enable him to have a chance of playing somewhere else?? if a suitor wanted him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I assume they will b epicking up a fair percentage of his wages,

If they don't need him, surely he will be coming back in January

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here