Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ollie Watkins

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
It's £18m as it is a non-promotion release clause [BBC].

Don't agree on your view on Watkins. Do agree about Henry. Looks quality.

That ‘clause’ already been reported by the local Brentford journo as untrue.

Not sure I have a massive view on Watkins he obviously is very good in a side that creates a lot but unsure if the £25m price tag is worth it for us currently.

But yes Henry on the other side to Lamptey would be a huge step in the right direction.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't kw much about the lad but based on that highlights video he's a penalty box predator. Seeing as wasted plenty of good chances last year it seems to me that someone who is in the right place at the right time and can finish a move is someone we could do with.

Is there anything else to his game? Pace? Creativity? Can he play as a target man, hold the ball up if needed?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That ‘clause’ already been reported by the local Brentford journo as untrue.

Not sure I have a massive view on Watkins he obviously is very good in a side that creates a lot but unsure if the £25m price tag is worth it for us currently.

But yes Henry on the other side to Lamptey would be a huge step in the right direction.

Both the BBC and John Percy at the Telegraph reporting it as true...

I think £18m for a 24 year-old striker who is firing in the Championship is a steal. I think £25m is probably the going rate.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I don't kw much about the lad but based on that highlights video he's a penalty box predator. Seeing as wasted plenty of good chances last year it seems to me that someone who is in the right place at the right time and can finish a move is someone we could do with.

Is there anything else to his game? Pace? Creativity? Can he play as a target man, hold the ball up if needed?
Great attitude, works back very hard when needed to. Important factor if playing in a 2 up front system. Holds the ball up well too.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Brentford have made it clear they want ‘full market value’ for Watkins

Not if there is a release clause ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If Brighton signed Watkins it would be interesting to see how they set up.
He was used as a wide player when he played in the same side as Maupay.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I've seen Brentford's last two games and kept my eye out on him. His quick, and his work rate is impressive, both of which stand out more than his ability to hold the ball up, which was good, but nothing more than that. Seems to have a good attitude. All of that sounds like the kind of signing we go for. We shall see.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If Brighton signed Watkins it would be interesting to see how they set up.
He was used as a wide player when he played in the same side as Maupay.

Implication in Naylor's Tifo collaboration article this morning was that we'd be looking to line up with 2 strikers next term...

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Naylor confirms we are interested. Would say he’s a shoe in for West Ham if moyes wasn’t their manager.

Also no relegation clause so 25m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Implication in Naylor's Tifo collaboration article this morning was that we'd be looking to line up with 2 strikers next term...

I agree this seems likely. Much of our best football has been two up front.

Our last game was 3-4-1-2. I think this will be our default and predominant (though far from sole) formation next season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree this seems likely. Much of our best football has been two up front.

Our last game was 3-4-1-2. I think this will be our default and predominant (though far from sole) formation next season.

Agreed. Like your analogy as I’d have called it 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 but yours makes sense. Lallana or Mac as the 1. Maupay and Connolly or new striker up tops. Only position missing is LWB. We need one like Lamps!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here