Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ollie Watkins

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
That wasn't really the point I was making, I was more saying that the majority of negative crowd reactions aren't to do with a particular player, they are more to do with a particular event. Fans groaning when you're keeper lets one through his legs is a natural and unavoidable thing that happens at every club in the world. Yes there are a few boo boys for a Barnes type player even when they do something well, but I don't think that's the main negative noise that comes from the stands.

I do get your point and no I don't necessarily think that negative noises are wholly player focused, however, a vocal minority vs a silent/quiet majority often means that those negative noises are heard over the applause. I also agree that it's mainly an emotional response based on the stress of watching a football team. I'm just saying that when trying to massively change a system and way of playing those negative reactions will be bigger and will play a bigger part.

It's no coincidence that Potter has referenced a few times where the crowd has got on his and the team's back, which is why the team is more confident doing what they do in this environment and why I think we were safe once no fans was confirmed.

Don't get me wrong, I think the fans are what make football great in a lot of ways, I just think that when you need confidence (and patience) to push through a complete philosophy change a sterile environment may well be your best way in. When the fans come back, this system will have fully landed by then and people will know what to expect.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Any news on when he's gonna SING?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Exactly. The contrast between the away and home support is stark, with the former getting behind the team, and the latter somewhat more demanding.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Back on topic, is there any news regarding our best striker target?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Back on topic, is there any news regarding our best striker target?

Celtic guy - it’s in another thread ;)

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Have to say that this has gone quiet.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
That wasn't really the point I was making, I was more saying that the majority of negative crowd reactions aren't to do with a particular player, they are more to do with a particular event. Fans groaning when you're keeper lets one through his legs is a natural and unavoidable thing that happens at every club in the world. Yes there are a few boo boys for a Barnes type player even when they do something well, but I don't think that's the main negative noise that comes from the stands.

BHA v Blackburn in Champ. Penalty to us and Barnes steps up to take it - and is met with a large chorus of boos. Absolutely disgraceful but thankfully he scored.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Latest odds offered by Betfair on who Ollie Watkins will sign for.

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 22.06.32.png

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Strikers graveyard…. especially if Jack goes

If Grealish goes the ball will at least get forward to the strikers. That will be a positive!
At the moment everything goes through him (and back to him - often several times) which slows their pace/tempo. I think that overall they will be a better TEAM without him. Expect Watkins to thrive if, as expected, he goes there. Biggest risk is Smith will revert to playing him out wide.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Strikers graveyard…. especially if Jack goes

Agree. Wouldn't go there if I was him.

When Brentford beat us at the Amex, Hogan absolutely destroyed us (it was one of the best displays by an opposition striker I've seen). Off he went to Villa and look what's happened......

I think we have a decent shout. Progressive club and manager, Maupay doing well. Fly in the ointment is whether Benham would sell Tony another striker if Watkins did want to come....

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Agree. Wouldn't go there if I was him.

When Brentford beat us at the Amex, Hogan absolutely destroyed us (it was one of the best displays by an opposition striker I've seen). Off he went to Villa and look what's happened......

I think we have a decent shout. Progressive club and manager, Maupay doing well. Fly in the ointment is whether Benham would sell Tony another striker if Watkins did want to come....

Benham will sell to highest bidder regardless

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Benham will sell to highest bidder regardless

Seems like half the Premier League are after him now with Fulham reported to be joining the race today.

I’ve pencilled this one out of our Striker recruitment plan as I really don’t think we’d want to get drawn in to this type of mass bidding war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here