Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ollie Watkins

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If Brentford don’t go up , surely Watkins should be a serious consideration. Maupay has done really well in his first season in the PL & I feel he will only improve next season .

Another quick and strong player like him desperate to do well in the PL would I think be a good addition . I would argue he is probably slightly better than Connolly all round .

His wages wouldn’t be a problem either.

Just seems to be a bit more of a safer bet than buying another striker from overseas that struggles to settle in .

Is getting him realistic ?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
If Brentford don’t go up , surely Watkins should be a serious consideration. Maupay has done really well in his first season in the PL & I feel he will only improve next season .

Another quick and strong player like him desperate to do well in the PL would I think be a good addition . I would argue he is probably slightly better than Connolly all round .

Just seems to be a bit more of a safer bet than buying another striker from overseas that struggles to settle in .

I would say it is realistic but he will also be in demand from our rivals.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

Yes agree and we should invest in someone like him instead of taking a punt at someone in Belgium/Dutch leagues

If they don't go up Brentford may well want to keep their better players; they'll want to hang on to them in the Chamionship if they have real ambition. I don't remember us unloading our best players when we lost in the playoffs, even though we had offers such as Dunk and Stevens.

Jul 27, 2020
Hove
If they don't go up Brentford may well want to keep their better players; they'll want to hang on to them in the Chamionship if they have real ambition. I don't remember us unloading our best players when we lost in the playoffs, even though we had offers such as Dunk and Stevens.

Brentford are run very efficiently and won't turn down serious money for a player they spent £2m on. Amazing how many players improve there.

I'm not sure their owner is as resourceful money wise as Bloom.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Brentford are apparently in for Ivan Toney, maybe to replace one of the BMW ? Maybe we should go for him.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Bit harsh to judge him or any of their players on their last 3 performances alone. He's deceptively quick, technically proficient, a very clever player but not a natural finisher despite his goals tally. Certainly not just a fox in the box type, can bring others into play and also play wide.

If the price is right then I think he would be an excellent acquisition.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Even if Brentford go up, they may struggle to keep players.

If we can sign Lallana, we can sign Watkins. Yes there will be competition, but he is the one I'd like us to get.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I believe LEEDS fans believe they are after him. Therefore I believe that they believe we've got no chance.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I believe LEEDS fans believe they are after him. Therefore I believe that they believe we've got no chance.

He'll be rubbish until Bielsa gets hold of him anyway, THEN he'll be world class after one week's training under the Great Man.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I've watched Brentford's last two games and they were awful - the wheels appear to have fallen off just at the wrong time. However you have to judge by the longer term when considering a player. Pre lockdown and from resumption to the Stoke game when Brentford were winning for fun, Watkins has very much played his part. One to consider if the price is right. Given the 'relationship' between TB and Mathew Benham, many suspected the latter would never do business with us. Maupay disproved that. Money before pride when it comes to business I guess.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've watched Brentford a few times recently. He's missed a few good chances at crucial times, none more so than his 'air shot' versus Barnsley at 1-1 with 7 minutes remaining.

He is very much a traditional striker scoring tap-ins from 6 yards, whereas Maupay could score from anywhere with either foot.

I'll be watching Brentford with interest tonight. His goals have put Brentford in this position, now he must show he is the Real Deal by firing them past a decent but uninspiring Swansea side.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Benrahma is the real talent there IMO but suspect the competition will be too strong. Watkins is OK but he doesn't strike me as still be on the upgrade really. Pace is good and he's scored at a good rate but for me he's a bit one dimensional in that he doesn't bring others into play too much and I'm not sure his interplay with the other Brentford forwards is up to scratch.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No way Watkins would want to stay at Brentford when he could sign us. We're a huge club compared to them. He's basically ours. Yes, yes he's under contract, but given player power he could probably just get that contract cancelled and join us. They're holding him against his will.

Our manager once won the Swedish league and is a world renowned tactical genius who would be managing Real Madrid if he wanted to.

Watkins is Brighton!!!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
No way Watkins would want to stay at Brentford when he could sign us. We're a huge club compared to them. He's basically ours. Yes, yes he's under contract, but given player power he could probably just get that contract cancelled and join us. They're holding him against his will.

Our manager once won the Swedish league and is a world renowned tactical genius who would be managing Real Madrid if he wanted to.

Watkins is Brighton!!!

#teamslikebrentford

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here