[Film] Films Long Overdue a Remake

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Coincidentally I watched it last night, which possibly inspired this thread, and it was utterly dire, even with a cast of Gandolfini, Washington, John Turturro and Travolta (who hammed it up too much). I haven’t seen the original.

One of the problems with the Papillon remake (apparently basically everything) was that I believe they just went for a scene by scene remake.

Don't forget the TV Movie of The Taking of Pelham 123 with Edward James Olmos, Vincent D'Onofio and Donnie Wahlberg, all you need to know is that it was a TV movie

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
They've remade Quadrophenia?

Personally I think re-makes are cr*p - unnecessary, not as good as the original, and only made for the money. For me, if we've got to have re-makes, I'd go for the Northern Rail version of Brief Encounter.

No you're absolutely right, I got confused with the remake of Brighton Rock, which was done in the style of Quadrophenia and was complete pants.
Apologies.
:blush:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Remakes have a tendency to be crap though, look at the mess they made of The Italian Job and Quadrophenia. But to even suggest they remake The Great Escape should be treasonable, and Where Eagles Dare!!!!!!! go and sit on the naughty step and think about that for a moment.
Classic opening Ariel shots over the Alps with one of the great movie themes, and dialogue at times worthy of Shakespeare!

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy"

"SIT DOWN COLONEL"!

Outrageous, at times farcical but the combination of Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Ingrid Pitt:love::love:, and the guy who was Paddingtons TV voice! This a classic that must remain unsullied, We don't want realism brought into it, we want Germans who can't shoot straight, machine guns with unlimited ammunition, dodgy German accents, helicopters that the Germans didn't posses, cars that explode for no reason when pushed over a cliff and wobbly back projections. That's what we want!
:lolol:

Who remade Quadrophenia ?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Mixed bag with remakes. There is definitely a handful of half decent ones like 2005's War of the Worlds, The Departed (although technically a remake of a foreign flick), True Grit, Dawn of the Dead to name but a few.

For me I would like to see the 1969 Battle of Britain remade with an ensemble British cast. You can't really mess it up as long as they do as they did in the original and stick to the facts of the battle. I understand Ridley Scott is eyeing up a Battle of Britain film - but his efforts can be very hit and miss these days. For every Prometheus you have a Robin Hood.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Remaking/ rebooting science fiction and horror films always seems to be a good idea. What with new studio techniques surely taking a well loved story and giving it a modern polish is a no-brainer recipe for success?

Rollerball. What could possibly go wrong? The $80m budget remake in 2002 is a stinker, they up the violence (but it seems softer), replace James Caan with Chris Klein (the bland, blandly handsome one from American Pie) and get LL Cool J, Pink and Slipknot involved to try to appeal to the target audience. Absolute tripe. Might be worth another go.

The Thing ... somebody thought it would be a good idea to strip the tension out of the original and replace the famous gloopy practical effects with shit CGI. Absolute tripe. Leave alone.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 3 fine films before the most recent one (2007 The Invasion) ... dull ...Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. Probably due another go.

The Wicker Man. (2006) Sweet baby Jesus. Leave it.

Death Race 2000. Death Race (2008) Pretty Much the same film but louder and no way near as much fun. No need for any violent can chase films so soon after Mad Max Fury Road.

The Last Man on Earth/ Omega Man ... I Am Legend (2007) massive CGI budget, looked dated when it came out. $150m budget ... Will Smith doesn't come cheap. Independence Day was a solid reboot of War Of The Worlds, Spielberg's "War Of The Worlds" (130m) wasn't. Done to death with TV.

The Stepford Wives ... Remade ... as a comedy ... not funny. Leave it.

Long standing rumours of remakes of Logan's Run and They Live but I think Bryan Singer was involved in both of those so that's a problem to overcome even before making a shit film. There was a Logan's Run inspired film a few years ago (In Time starring Justin Timberlake) .. it wasn't any good.

I really hope no one makes a remake of Silent Running

However

The Planet of the Apes films were pretty good (not the Tim Burton one, that's SHIT).
Armageddon and Deep Impact were both better than 'Meteor' (which isn't saying much).

It's only a mattter of time before someone blows $200m on a remake of 'Zardoz'.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think reimaginings are somewhat different - The Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven are totally different films (even if they are the same story).

h.

If you watch them close together , then it's surprising how close much of The magnificent Seven is to Seven Samurai

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Plan 9 From Outer Space is often called the worst film ever made. A remake must therefore be an improvement...... or would it?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Where do the Disney live action adaptations fall in the remake spectrum? I quite enjoyed the Aladdin live action because it changed some bits and added new stuff. Whereas I found the Lion King one pretty dull because it was largely a shot for shot, beautifully done admittedly, re-do of the animated film.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Coincidentally I watched it last night, which possibly inspired this thread, and it was utterly dire, even with a cast of Gandolfini, Washington, John Turturro and Travolta (who hammed it up too much). I haven’t seen the original.

One of the problems with the Papillon remake (apparently basically everything) was that I believe they just went for a scene by scene remake.

The original is just golden. Walter Matthau is superb and Robert Shaw oozes calm malice. Well worth a look if you get the chance.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I really hope no one makes a remake of Silent Running

It's only a mattter of time before someone blows $200m on a remake of 'Zardoz'.

These two remarks pretty much make you my new favourite person :lol:

Also, Tampopo was a remake (of sorts) of The Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai and that was awesome.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mixed bag with remakes. There is definitely a handful of half decent ones like 2005's War of the Worlds, The Departed (although technically a remake of a foreign flick), True Grit, Dawn of the Dead to name but a few.

For me I would like to see the 1969 Battle of Britain remade with an ensemble British cast. You can't really mess it up as long as they do as they did in the original and stick to the facts of the battle. I understand Ridley Scott is eyeing up a Battle of Britain film - but his efforts can be very hit and miss these days. For every Prometheus you have a Robin Hood.

Would be OK with this as long as the CGI dogfights were accurate as opposed to the shite in Dunkirk etc.

And as you say stick to the facts or BoB anoraks like me will picket the Cinema!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
At the risk of offending the sensibilities of most NSC film buffs, and seeing as arguably relatively few decent films have been made in the last few years:

Where Eagles Dare
Logan’s Run
The Great Escape. (Dan Burn cameo as a German guard)

Sacrilegious on The Great Escape I appreciate, and in terms of remakes, the recent Rami Malek Papillon film looked dreadful, but Logan’s Run should be a goer.
:wink:

Remake shit films that could have been good.

I hate Hollywood's trend for remaking great films.

Perfect example would be the Great Escape. A brilliant film that absolutely does not need to be remade as the original is perfect as is.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Something like Heaven's Gate would be good, I think there's a story in there somewhere.

Jaws would be epic with improved CGI, but (ironically) focus more on the metaphorical side of capturing the shark, as per the original novel.

Not a remake, but I would love the mooted Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction prequel to emerge someday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports