Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films Long Overdue a Remake

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
At the risk of offending the sensibilities of most NSC film buffs, and seeing as arguably relatively few decent films have been made in the last few years:

Where Eagles Dare
Logan’s Run
The Great Escape. (Dan Burn cameo as a German guard)

Sacrilegious on The Great Escape I appreciate, and in terms of remakes, the recent Rami Malek Papillon film looked dreadful, but Logan’s Run should be a goer.
:wink:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Remakes have a tendency to be crap though, look at the mess they made of The Italian Job and Quadrophenia. But to even suggest they remake The Great Escape should be treasonable, and Where Eagles Dare!!!!!!! go and sit on the naughty step and think about that for a moment.
Classic opening Ariel shots over the Alps with one of the great movie themes, and dialogue at times worthy of Shakespeare!

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy"

"SIT DOWN COLONEL"!

Outrageous, at times farcical but the combination of Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Ingrid Pitt:love::love:, and the guy who was Paddingtons TV voice! This a classic that must remain unsullied, We don't want realism brought into it, we want Germans who can't shoot straight, machine guns with unlimited ammunition, dodgy German accents, helicopters that the Germans didn't posses, cars that explode for no reason when pushed over a cliff and wobbly back projections. That's what we want!
:lolol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Carry On Camping

RequiredShimmeringDromedary-max-1mb.gif

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
At the risk of offending the sensibilities of most NSC film buffs, and seeing as arguably relatively few decent films have been made in the last few years:

Where Eagles Dare
Logan’s Run
The Great Escape. (Dan Burn cameo as a German guard)

Sacrilegious on The Great Escape I appreciate, and in terms of remakes, the recent Rami Malek Papillon film looked dreadful, but Logan’s Run should be a goer.
:wink:

You’re bang out of line suggesting WED and TGE. Next you’ll be suggesting Zulu.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Generally a cynic towards remakes as I think the primary driver of any is money, but I would be interested in a Battle of Britain film with a talented director who has a passion for British war movies, such as Sam Mendes or Christopher Nolan, at the helm.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I watched Tom Hank’s new film, Greyhound, the other day (meh) and it made me long for a remake of Sink The Bismarck! Obviously still a classic film but I’d love to see it remade with modern filmmaking a la Dunkirk.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I watched Tom Hank’s new film, Greyhound, the other day (meh) and it made me long for a remake of Sink The Bismarck! Obviously still a classic film but I’d love to see it remade with modern filmmaking a la Dunkirk.

When it comes to telling history, IMO the size and nature of the event influences whether you’re remaking a film or not. Dunkirk for example isn’t a signal story, but scores of different ones over many days. You could make another tomorrow. I don’t see Nolan’s recent film as a remake at all. It’s completely different to Barry Norman’s dads black and white effort. Unlike if you were to do a film about e.g. a more singular event, like the battle featured in Zulu.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
When it comes to telling history, IMO the size and nature of the event influences whether you’re remaking a film or not. Dunkirk for example isn’t a signal story, but scores of different ones over many days. You could make another tomorrow. I don’t see Nolan’s recent film as a remake at all. It’s completely different to Barry Norman’s dads black and white effort. Unlike if you were to do a film about e.g. a more singular event, like the battle featured in Zulu.

I probably didn’t word that well at all, but I meant remake Sink The Bismarck using modern filmmaking techniques as used in Dunkirk. As in, use the techniques to recreate the claustrophobia and panic on board the ships which Nolan did so well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Sting

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I probably didn’t word that well at all, but I meant remake Sink The Bismarck using modern filmmaking techniques as used in Dunkirk. As in, use the techniques to recreate the claustrophobia and panic on board the ships which Nolan did so well.

As a kid I stayed in the cinema and watched Sink The Bismarck 3 times on the trot

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gone With The Wind

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I tried watching the Papillon remake but it just felt so hollow I couldn’t get past the hour mark. The original 1972 version of Sleuth is one of my favourite films of all time but Michael Caine stomped on its memory with the remake. Consequently, I don’t go near remakes if I’ve any affection for the original film.

So can anybody tell me if the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 was rubbish or not?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think people are lazy in their dismissal of remakes. There are many classics that are themselves remakes, either regular remakes or 'reimaginings' (such as samurai films reworked as westerns).

For me, it comes down to vision. If there is a reason you're remaking it that goes beyond 'well, we've got the rights to it, lets make some money with something recognisable than risk losing money on something new' or 'I liked the original, I want to remake it and put myself in my favourite role'. Does technology/society let you do things you couldn't originally? Is there a narrative thread that was particularly resonant but didn't get a lot of attention? Is there something about the film's message that has a deeper meaning in a modern context? and so on.

Having said that, stay the hell away from Clue. That is movie perfection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here