Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Double glazing - trickle vents - good idea or not?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
What do the good folks think about trickle vents on double glazed windows? A scan of the internet seems to show much debate and opinions divided. Just wondered what people's personal experience was?

On one hand they seem a good way to allow subtle ventilation and avoid potential issues such as condensation and mould. And they are seen as much more secure than having windows fitted with a latched position.

However, the counter argument seems to be that they can be too draughty and allow too much noise in even when shuttered.

Currently we don't have them so no building regs requirement to have them in any new windows.

Additionally, can anyone recommend any double glazing firms in the Eastbourne area?

Many thanks

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not an easy question to answer I don't think! How old is your house? I believe they're only generally needed in fairly modern houses which are fairly well sealed. Older houses naturally leak quite a bit and so don't need it.

We did have them in our place in Newhaven and don't remember the noise being too much of a problem, despite being on a very windy hill. I imagine it would just depend on the quality of the vents and how well they sealed when they were closed?

Funny you should ask today as I've just had to write a piece about the advantages of hermetically sealed facades for air quality.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I would strongly recommend having them. We replaced our windows 5 years ago and didn't have any installed, I now regularly have to deal with mould in most rooms.

My biggest recommendation is that you don't use a double glazing firm, ask a friend about local builders and have the builders install some windows for half the price

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It's certainly an enduring issue.

What doesn't get mentioned that may be helpful is that it's really not very hard to retro fit trickle vents.
They only cost a few quid and a bit of drilling and filling and then screw them on.

So get them without, if you do get problems put them in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
K B Glass are based in Eastbourne ..although they go further afield than that ..I used them earlier this month and found the price and service very good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here