Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Loving the longer ball

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
It’s been so nice to see Maty playing the ball long rather than the terrifying practice of passing it out from the back. I guess it’s helped by playing two up front. I wish we could play two up front every game.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The ability to have some variety is always an advantage. Potter played 3-5-2 for most of his time at Ostersund but it requires a specific set of abilities within the squad. I can see us moving towards this for next season

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The ability to have some variety is always an advantage. Potter played 3-5-2 for most of his time at Ostersund but it requires a specific set of abilities within the squad. I can see us moving towards this for next season

We tried it earlier in the season, but for whatever reason, we just weren't good enough to play it. hopefully some good signings can rectify that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree that we look better with two strikers.

Don't agree that we should be going long playing with those strikers

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We tried it earlier in the season, but for whatever reason, we just weren't good enough to play it. hopefully some good signings can rectify that.

Im not a huge fan of it. A few seasons ago most of the top teams tried to play it, when Sarri was at Chelsea, but have since reverted to a back 4. I prefer our 4-2-2-2 formation but we don't get a lot of width with our squad. Realistically we are not of the quality to challenge for titles and we need to adapt our formation dependent upon the opposition which will likely be a more regular use of 3-5-2 at the start of a game and a switch depending on our needs to score/defend/dominate possession/man mark an individual

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Hopefully we've learnt that you dont ALWAYS have to play it short. Its obviously preferable to our style that Maty can play it short to a defender & build an attack from there, but there's been times where the naive persistence to do this for every single goal kick means we're incredibly predictable & we just play ourselves into danger against teams that are good at the high press. If you've got Salah, Mane, & Firmino standing on the heels of our defenders eager to close them down, then its fine for Maty to occasionally hoof it long, even if just to relieve the pressure.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Hopefully we've learnt that you dont ALWAYS have to play it short. Its obviously preferable to our style that Maty can play it short to a defender & build an attack from there, but there's been times where the naive persistence to do this for every single goal kick means we're incredibly predictable & we just play ourselves into danger against teams that are good at the high press. If you've got Salah, Mane, & Firmino standing on the heels of our defenders eager to close them down, then its fine for Maty to occasionally hoof it long, even if just to relieve the pressure.

Agree. It's always been nerve wracking, but I accept that this is just part of an attractive and exciting way of playing.

But watching us continue to try and do it against Liverpool, when they'd decided, correctly, that our utter dedication to that approach could be exploited was horrible. I am sure it was part of a learning process for Mr Potter.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’m confused why people think we’ve always played it short? Early season more so but we’ve been playing the long diagonals all season and Ryan fairly often hits goal kicks long into Burns head. This was long before lockdown as I remember the Swansea fan who posts on here said they did similar after teams started realising Swansea only played it short.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m confused why people think we’ve always played it short? Early season more so but we’ve been playing the long diagonals all season and Ryan fairly often hits goal kicks long into Burns head. This was long before lockdown as I remember the Swansea fan who posts on here said they did similar after teams started realising Swansea only played it short.

Think there’s a difference in what the OP is describing and what you are. The diagonals to feet are something we’ve always done and seemingly always will. The goal kicks long are new - it’s if they’re pressing high - to prevent what Liverpool did to us twice. It’s a good adaption for many fans as eases the pressure on gifting goals away.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Think there’s a difference in what the OP is describing and what you are. The diagonals to feet are something we’ve always done and seemingly always will. The goal kicks long are new - it’s if they’re pressing high - to prevent what Liverpool did to us twice. It’s a good adaption for many fans as eases the pressure on gifting goals away.

Yes this is what I was suggesting. When the opposition uses a high press with quality players we can’t always play it out from the back and I think GP gets that now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It’s been so nice to see Maty playing the ball long rather than the terrifying practice of passing it out from the back. I guess it’s helped by playing two up front. I wish we could play two up front every game.

Don't you be coming on here trying to lord it with your entry level footballing common sense :dunce:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A goal kick should be a set piece like any other. We should have 4 or 5 meticulously rehearsed variants, which Maty chooses and communicates with some sort of code. All 11 players are involved and know their jobs. A couple should be short, one a hoof down the channel and one is the chip to Burn on the touchline

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A goal kick should be a set piece like any other. We should have 4 or 5 meticulously rehearsed variants, which Maty chooses and communicates with some sort of code. All 11 players are involved and know their jobs. A couple should be short, one a hoof down the channel and one is the chip to Burn on the touchline

Very much this, set pieces can be the difference in a number of games and for a side who can pass and retain possession quite well we often find our attacks nullified by winning a corner/freekick. If we could develop a few routines that could give us an extra 5/6 goals a season then we will be comfortable, this would be my main focus for training at least once a week for next season

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Worked a treat.

Wood, McNeil and others thought simply they'd box in the Albion goalie and defenders who'd refuse to play it long. Wrong, Ryan played it long with reasonably accuracy, possession wasn't thrown away.

I think it screwed Dyche's game plan.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I for one am deeply shocked that our approach may change or even evolve...

On the Dicking Around At The Back, er, front, Potter appears to be currently more Oscar Garcia than Poyet ie.10 passes to reach the halfway line instead of 20. Still, at least the ball's going vaguely forward which is more than it ever did under CH. And I for one EMBRACE that change :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here