Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley VAR

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Having just seen highlights what did you think of decisions
Penalty decision against Stevens could have easily have gone other way. Looked clear Stevens pushed him in the back but assume VAR backed the ref.
Disallowed goal. On the basis Ryan didnt have a hope of getting to it thought decision was harsh.
Connelly goal. On angle they showed on highlights no evidence to show ball went out of play. Has anybody seen a better angle down the line

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rodriguez knew Stephens was behind him, so hooked his foot around Stephen’s leg, knowing they’d both fall forwards.

Disallowed goal, player offside was interfering with play.

MOTD showed a graphic which had a vertical line proving the whole of the ball didn’t cross the line.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Stephens. I was very surprised the ref didn't give it. Much less so it wasn't overturned.

Rodriguez header. It's immaterial whether Ryan would have got it, (it wasn't for a foul, it was offside). The bloke was clearly interfering with play. Spot on decision.

Connolly. If I had to guess it was probably out. Luckily there was no decent footage available. VAR has to allow it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Personally, I thought the Stephens-Rodriguez incident was a nailed on pen, clumsy by Dale, but I also thought we might have had a shout for a penalty when Lamptey had his heels clipped in the box. I thought the Burnley disallowed goal was harsh, but if you stand in the keeper’s toes and are blatantly in an offside position you’re giving VAR a reason to step in.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Connelly goal. On angle they showed on highlights no evidence to show ball went out of play. Has anybody seen a better angle down the line

Not necessarily better, but closer

VAR.jpg

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Worked in our favour yesterday, as soon as I saw Stephens push I thought it was a penalty, but the biggest plus was the ginger whinger spitting feathers about it, excellent!

:clap::ascarf:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rodriguez knew Stephens was behind him, so hooked his foot around Stephen’s leg, knowing they’d both fall forwards.

Disallowed goal, player offside was interfering with play.

MOTD showed a graphic which had a vertical line proving the whole of the ball didn’t cross the line.

Yes agree with this, only to say the penalty appeal could have been given but would add Rodriguez stopped running meaning Stephens naturally run into the back of him. On the offside it is totally irrelevant if Ryan could get the ball or not the Burnley player was in an offside position and interfering with play so rightly given.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Stephens was stone wall pen IMO

Goal had to be disallowed as he was interfering with play.

No angle to show ball was out. Unlike vs Man U when it was about 2 feet out.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Should have been a pen, I would have wanted one if it were the other way around.

Goal rightly overturned - Dyche claiming that Ryan wouldn't have got to it...the man is a complete pillock so who gives a toss what he says.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Penalty decision against Stevens could have easily have gone other way. Looked clear Stevens pushed him in the back but assume VAR backed the ref.
Disallowed goal. On the basis Ryan didnt have a hope of getting to it thought decision was harsh.

Stephens decision a stonewall penalty for me. Would have been very disappointed if it was one of their players on us and we were not given it.
Ryan decision. Don’t think he would have got anywhere near it but you can’t stand on top of the keeper in an offside position like that so correct decision for me.
Connelly goal. I expected that to go against us especially as we had that decision go against
us earlier in the season when the ball was clearly out of play. We ended up with the correct decision though half the ball was in play according to new graphic on MOTD and even if no graphic available the linesman never gave it so decision should stand and in play.
Nice to get a few decisions go our way occasionally 😀

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Could not give a stuff whether or not they should have had a penalty or had a shout for a goal that was disallowed. Horrible Burnley!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Makes up for the pen that wasn’t given at the Amex last season and they popped up the other end and scored

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Stephens push was standard "Umpires Call" and shows the lunacy of VAR on penalty decisions and the absolute requirements for refs to use the screens so the VAR aren't worried about making their mate look stupid.
Connolly goal should have VAR nowhere near it and rely solely on the officials. Until you get goal line technology on all pitch perimeters then most calls will be guesswork.
Disallowed goal is offside in every interpretation I have seen over the years. The player's role was solely to block off Ryan and there was even an argument for it being a foul for obstruction, not just offside.

For me, the way forward is simple. No stupid lines - just a couple of naked eye looks. If you want to go linesman's call like cricket then fine. Penalties that look like wrong decisions should always go to the ref on the monitors. Same for red cards. The quest for perfect decisions has actually ended up with shocking decisions made WITH technology. Stop trying to be perfect and just be consistent. Or, and this is my new campaign slogan, BURN IT WITH FIRE.

el punal

As with all decisions in a football season, good or bad, they tend to even themselves out. The exception of course being the catastrophic balls-up when the goal was disallowed for Sheffield Utd at Villa when the ball clearly crossed the line - poor old Plucky will be fuming about that for years and Villa will be thanking their lucky stars.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How anyone can say the offside was harsh is insane :lolol: Anyone who’s played as a keeper knows when a player does that it totally interferes with your movement and sometimes sight of the ball, that’s why players do it, I still don’t know why the guy would stand there knowing the corner wasn't going to be an in-swinger, I guess he was hoping one of our players would stay on the post.

We did get fortunate yesterday, but it was nice to see Burnley’s lump it into the box tactics fail them.

Yoda

English & European
Should have been a pen, I would have wanted one if it were the other way around.

Goal rightly overturned - Dyche claiming that Ryan wouldn't have got to it...the man is a complete pillock so who gives a toss what he says.

To be fair to Dyche, he did say he could understand why it was ruled out and would wanted it that way if it were against his team.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Penalty - Seen them given, seen them not given. I thought it was a clumsy challenge personally and we got away with it was fully expecting VAR to overturn it.

Ball going out of play - Why was this even checked? Didn't the commentary team say it was something that couldn't be checked by VAR when we played Man Utd at the Amex and the ball may have been out in the build up to one of their goals (possibly the Greenwood goal)?

Offside - Correct to rule it out, we had a goal very early this season chalked off due to Dan Burn doing pretty much the same as the Burnley player. The argument about Ryan being able to get to it is immaterial, the player was in an offside position and is preventing the goalkeeper from moving, therefore interfering in play.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Stephens one was interesting. At full speed I said to my son "that's a penalty". On VAR it actually looks less serious. They are shoulder to shoulder and J-Rod throws himself.

The "Goal" was offside and was the correct decision. There was no clear way to tell if the ball was out either for our goal and so the decision rightly stood. What was inconsistant was that United scored against us after the ball went clearly out for a throw and it wasn't reviewed. Big team bias.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Makes up for the pen that wasn’t given at the Amex last season and they popped up the other end and scored

The most blatant handball you will ever see in football. The player was even boasting about it after the final whistle.
:rant::rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here