Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If only we had moe points...

mefromringmer

Aug 9, 2013
If only we had held on or late efforts had not been saved and gone in..........

Late save at home against Chelsea 2 points

late save away at West Ham 2 points

Maupay penalty at Leicester 2 points

late goal at home to Burnley scored 2 points

late goal away at Villa 1 point

those nine points and possible more would have given as 50 points, been 12th in the league and safe from relegation long ago.

Lets kick on next season and be more ruthless.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We mugged off Everton and Arsenal at home as well. I'm sure a few others. It's the nature of football. I think our position and points tally is about right ... which it usually is after 38 games

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Late goals happen - but it is worth noting that Villa's late, late, late equaliser against a heroically defending 10-man albion kept them up in the end.

I think it is more interesting to look at the 1 point haul against Palace, Villa, Sheffield Utd, and Southampton and hope that there is scope to improve that next season.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
800px-Moe%27s_Tavern.png

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Late goals happen - but it is worth noting that Villa's late, late, late equaliser against a heroically defending 10-man albion kept them up in the end.

I think it is more interesting to look at the 1 point haul against Palace, Villa, Sheffield Utd, and Southampton and hope that there is scope to improve that next season.

That's the test for GP next season, finding ways to win against teams around us. The encouraging sign is that since the re-start, we've been a little more pragmatic and ground out points.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
On the other hand...

Arsenal (H) - 95' = +2 points
West Ham (A) - 79' = +1 point
Chelsea (H) - 84' = +1 point
Arsenal (A) - 80' = +2 points
Everton (H) - 94' = +2 points

Total = +8 points where we gained points where we could easily not have.

There's a reason why 'It all evens out over a season' is broadly correct, even though it's a cliche.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If only we had held on or late efforts had not been saved and gone in..........

Late save at home against Chelsea 2 points

late save away at West Ham 2 points

Maupay penalty at Leicester 2 points

late goal at home to Burnley scored 2 points

late goal away at Villa 1 point

those nine points and possible more would have given as 50 points, been 12th in the league and safe from relegation long ago.

Lets kick on next season and be more ruthless.

Its all ifs and buts. Had we scored against Leicester it doesn’t automatically mean we would have won the game.

And had we been higher up the table teams might have played in a different way against us. It is what it is after 38 games.

What we can all say, is that Potter has improved things. And I will say, there’s more to come.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Burnley at home still rankles, almost the last kick of the match and their very first attempt... :rant:

No need for specifics. Burnley full stop rankle.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just think if we had scored every chance and if Ryan had saved every shot we would have won all 38 games.

Whether goals are scored or conceded in the first or last minute doesn't matter, yes late goals can change your mood on leaving the game, but the result is all important and it's pointless just foscusing on what would have been.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The one we could have won, recently, was Newcastle at home. Two more points and Palace would be looking up at us.... we genuinely had that in our grasp but didn't go for the throat.

Yeah This.

Having done the hard work, we slipped up at the crucial point.
Not that it matters, they get one more season of "Mind the gap", whereas we know the clubs are on two very different trajectories.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The most important games are against the weaker sides. Norwich 6, Bournemouth 3, Watford 4, Villa 1, West Ham 2. We need to turn such games into more home wins, we also dominated games against Palace, Newcastle, Southampton & Burnley which didn't end in victory. I'm really looking forward to next season

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This side and the way we are playing looks capable of doing better...compared to how I felt about the season before that it had reached its full potential ..look forward to the next one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here