[Albion] Season Review - Revolution to Evolution

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, that was fun wasn't it?

I've written a season review if you're so interested.

2019/20 Review

Short url for those of you on tapa. https://cgul.co/2CR1WbE

As ever just my opinion, though fans of VAR, Coldplay and short, concise articles may want to do some calming yoga before dipping in.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I evolve, but I don’t...revolve. Basically what’s you’re saying is you don’t want another Chris Evans?

We do want another Chris Evans.

I’m your man.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've just realised I didn't even put a player of the season nomination after all that. It's possibly because I'm still torn between Dunk and Maupay, while Lamptey probably wins "player of lockdown" (though only just, from those two). How great is it to have an attacking player in the mix for that as well?!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A good read, perhaps not enough about some of the barmier selections we have seen, but certainly enough about the vastly improved quality on the whole (I will except both the Sheffield games, we clearly need a tactical nuclear strike to remove them from the map).

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Enjoyed that. Very true about the Leicester and Sheff Utd games. At that point of the season I was ready to believe GP was a tactical genius but those games were pretty sobering. I kept thinking " we're playing into their hands but GP knows best, he's somehow outsmarting them and we'll strike when they least expect it". I was wrong, GP got it wrong and a bit of the new manager shine came off that day. However, on reflection, no manager gets it right all the time and I do get the sense that GP is genuinely learning and evolving.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
A truley excellent read. Burnley, Lallana and this have me chomping at the bit for the new season already. On the contentious point of VAR, I would argue that it did actually get everything right but was terribly overused.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You're being rather harsh to brussel sprouts but, apart from that, good analysis and I think I agree with you. Something more on evolution, which is as much a hope as it is a prediction: the formation we will see more of, much more of, next season revolves around a back three. I'm sure Potter will like to mix things around a bit so we'll see 3-4-3 alongside 3-5-2, but the prospect of White, Dunk and Webster as a back three appeals to me. As does Lamptey down the right providing width and one of Bernardo, Burn, March or even a new signing down the left. I also like the sound of Bissouma and Alzate in midfield, perhaps with Propper and Stephens providing support or back-up. Lallana might even find his way there too, depending on how far forward he plays which will, in turn, depend on who the opposition is or the stage of the game we're at. And then LPS/LPMdM, Trossard, Connolly and that new striker signing you speak of.
In the meantime, a holiday without quarantine would be nice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A truley excellent read. Burnley, Lallana and this have me chomping at the bit for the new season already. On the contentious point of VAR, I would argue that it did actually get everything right but was terribly overused.

Overused for sure but there's a debate to be had on "referee's call" and the interpretation (and potential time frame issues) on offside. It definitely got the Sheff Utd goal v Villa wrong, although, I guess, that was actually goal line tech which I AM in favour of :lol:

You're being rather harsh to brussel sprouts but, apart from that, good analysis and I think I agree with you. Something more on evolution, which is as much a hope as it is a prediction: the formation we will see more of, much more of, next season revolves around a back three. I'm sure Potter will like to mix things around a bit so we'll see 3-4-3 alongside 3-5-2, but the prospect of White, Dunk and Webster as a back three appeals to me. As does Lamptey down the right providing width and one of Bernardo, Burn, March or even a new signing down the left. I also like the sound of Bissouma and Alzate in midfield, perhaps with Propper and Stephens providing support or back-up. Lallana might even find his way there too, depending on how far forward he plays which will, in turn, depend on who the opposition is or the stage of the game we're at. And then LPS/LPMdM, Trossard, Connolly and that new striker signing you speak of.
In the meantime, a holiday without quarantine would be nice.

Thanks. Yeah, quarantine free hols would be amazing. Am pretty sure it'll be 3 CBs with wingbacks for a lot of next season - which means Potter will prove us both wrong by about week 6!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
What does excite me is the gradual introduction of younger players to the first team over the last year.

Lamptey is 19, Connolly 20, Alzate and MacCallister both 21, Maupay and Bissouma both 23, Webster and Trossard both 25. Not to mention Ben Whites return (he's only 22) so there is the real basis of a good young squad to be added to and supplemented by some of the more experienced lads, and hopefully with Lallana and one or two others, I for one am optimistic we could seriously be a 'mid table team' next season.

Small steps but certainly going in the right direction IMO.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Good stuff and thanks.

Along with a striker, I would love to see a left back as good as Lamptey is on the right.

Where are you when we need you BG?

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Thanks,
A well written and entertaining piece.
I concur on almost all of your points especially the Coldplay and Palace bellends bits.

Onwards and upwards, have a safe summer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'And somehow we’ve managed to let the mighty Leeds United let us have their promising centre back Ben White.' :lolol:

Great read – thanks GB :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here