Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] New bathrooms

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
So, the missus and I recently bought a new house which we’re in the process of doing up (I say we’re doing it up, it’s only 5 years old so it’s more a case of aligning it to our taste).

Despite the house not being very old, we’ve already spent a lot more than we were expecting (the kitchen in particular being a pain point). One thing I wasn’t expecting to have to do much with were the bathrooms - we have one main bathroom and two en suites. We’ve quickly gone from the wife wanting to change the toilets due to the odd shit stain to not liking any of them at all and wanting to do them all out from scratch - three times over.

I’m close to vomiting point at the money we’re spending already and so the prospects of redoing the bathrooms is leaving me feeling particularly queasy. Having spoken to a few bathroom design and installation companies, I’m not feeling any better. It seems much cheaper to buy your suite, tiles etc. separately and then fit yourself (or get a man in, as I am likely to do. However, I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to making sure that everything will fit properly and work with the existing plumbing arrangements we have, working out how many tiles we need etc.?

NSC has been an incredibly useful source of knowledge throughout my home buying journey, so, any advice?

Ta!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So, the missus and I recently bought a new house which we’re in the process of doing up (I say we’re doing it up, it’s only 5 years old so it’s more a case of aligning it to our taste).

Despite the house not being very old, we’ve already spent a lot more than we were expecting (the kitchen in particular being a pain point). One thing I wasn’t expecting to have to do much with were the bathrooms - we have one main bathroom and two en suites. We’ve quickly gone from the wife wanting to change the toilets due to the odd shit stain to not liking any of them at all and wanting to do them all out from scratch - three times over.

I’m close to vomiting point at the money we’re spending already and so the prospects of redoing the bathrooms is leaving me feeling particularly queasy. Having spoken to a few bathroom design and installation companies, I’m not feeling any better. It seems much cheaper to buy your suite, tiles etc. separately and then fit yourself (or get a man in, as I am likely to do. However, I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to making sure that everything will fit properly and work with the existing plumbing arrangements we have, working out how many tiles we need etc.?

NSC has been an incredibly useful source of knowledge throughout my home buying journey, so, any advice?

Ta!

I don’t think replacing the toilets is a big job.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ta!

...and a large garden. Tory. Bear pit, etc. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

More seriously, I'm in the process of trying to re-do a family bathroom. Seems to me the best option (without spending a fortune on a bespoke designer) is pick more or less what cabinets and stuff you want, then get a decent plumber (he'll have tilers etc, or do it himself) to do it all. You'll also get a discount on all the stuff by using his account as his suppliers (HPS in my case who have a wide enough range of stuff to choose from). I can't get my head around what modular units will fit etc so will be leaving that to his recommendation........................

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My advice - never mess with plumbing - always use a fully trained plumber . Water can wreck your house , bring your ceilings down and be expensive .

A fully tiled ( walls and floor ) bathroom average size with 3 piece suite should be around £10-20 k depending on the specification . You def don’t need to spend more than £20 k to get a decent bathroom although you can of course .

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My advice - never mess with plumbing - always use a fully trained plumber . Water can wreck your house , bring your ceilings down and be expensive .

A fully tiled ( walls and floor ) bathroom average size with 3 piece suite should be around £10-20 k depending on the specification . You def don’t need to spend more than £20 k to get a decent bathroom although you can of course .

That post is the funniest I've seen - ever :p

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Well if it's big enough to put a sofa (settee?) plus 2 armchairs in it, I would have thought it would be a bit more than £10K, just for the tiles

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Are you also getting the outside toilet changed? :)

Ha, to be fair I’ve lived in Leeds for very nearly 14 years now and it’s a great city. There’s been a huge amount of investment in the city centre and there’s an emerging tech scene second only to London in this country. It’s well connected by rail and road too, being a very short hop onto both the M1 and M62.

I find it to be a great balance of earning potential and cost of living. Doing what I do, I could probably add another 20% - 30% to my salary if I moved to London but an equivalent home in terms of size would set me back many times more even just outside the capital.

For what we paid for a four bedroom house with three bathrooms in a popular area of the city, we’d struggle to get a two bedroom flat in a half decent area of London.

I think a slightly distorted view of the North persists in the South. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve lived in places like Middlesbrough where industry has long since departed and left the place very deprived, but it’s not as if anywhere north of Watford is that way. I see Leeds as a miniature, northern London except with an absolutely shoddy public transport system.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Can you just replace the missus?

I considered that, only a quick visit to an online divorce calculator soon changed my mind. Thanks to the law over such things in this country, I’d push comes to shove she can have a diamond encrusted big brush if she absolutely wishes...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ha, to be fair I’ve lived in Leeds for very nearly 14 years now and it’s a great city. There’s been a huge amount of investment in the city centre and there’s an emerging tech scene second only to London in this country. It’s well connected by rail and road too, being a very short hop onto both the M1 and M62.

I find it to be a great balance of earning potential and cost of living. Doing what I do, I could probably add another 20% - 30% to my salary if I moved to London but an equivalent home in terms of size would set me back many times more even just outside the capital.

For what we paid for a four bedroom house with three bathrooms in a popular area of the city, we’d struggle to get a two bedroom flat in a half decent area of London.

I think a slightly distorted view of the North persists in the South. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve lived in places like Middlesbrough where industry has long since departed and left the place very deprived, but it’s not as if anywhere north of Watford is that way. I see Leeds as a miniature, northern London except with an absolutely shoddy public transport system.

All sounds good, I have no problem with the North.
Some people look down their noses at Newhaven, but I've got a similar size modern house that I definitely couldn't afford if it was in Brighton.

Getting back on topic, my advice on your bathrooms is get one done at a time, don't give someone the whole job of all 3.
If you are happy with buying the bathroom, tiles etc and getting the trades in yourself and you are pleased with the work, you can carry on with the other rooms.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I do full bathroom refurbishments including tiling. An average bathroom should cost between £2000 - £2750 for the labour + whatever materials you choose.
Several times I've seen people mention 10/15/20k numbers and think I must be doing something wrong..?
Btw unfortunately I'm based in Brighton

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Do you shit money or something? £10-20k?!

For comparison up here in NW London we recently had kitchen and loft extension with en suite the same size as existing main bathroom and went down the supply and fit route with the builder.

We used his account as others have suggested and for £3,500 got top spec fittings for toilet, sink, rain fall multi effect built in shower, large tray, aqua dart rolla glass cubicle with flip edge, Bluetooth anti mist mirror, two additional bathroom cabinets for his and hers and a designer towel rail.

Now granted there aren’t two of everything but still that’s a ludicrous sum to suggest. Even factoring his all in labour costs and back charging them on a pro rata basis I’d still only suggest £1-1,500 labour costs max.

Bathroom show rooms with fitters etc IMO should go down as scam/fraudulent transactions with banks as they without even looking at your house it will start with five figures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here