Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What will be the fate of the relegated clubs?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Obviously they will all benefit from gallions of parachute cash but that has to be balanced against the fact that their best players will most likely be off.

My football knowledge is sketchy at best but I fail to see any of the clubs that have dropped mounting any sort of challenge to return to the PL short term. For Bournemouth in particular I can see this marking the start of a downward spiral, especially if Eddie Howe leaves. He's too good a manager for that outfit. Watford I reckon will struggle too - seems to have become a toxic club from top to bottom. Who would want to go there?

Having said all that, I'll probably be completely wrong and they'll all be back at the first time of asking.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Championship

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Watford will be fine, a basket case as always but fine.

Part of me thinks that this may not have been Norwich's plan, but certainly something they had planned for, so again, will be fine.

Bournemouth on the other hand I worry about; mass exodus of players, Smug Eddie not committing his future at the club and as they like to throw it in our faces with the "Infrastructure FC" tag by one of their fans, they haven't got the things behind the scenes to support them in the long term. You've seen how much Sunderland have struggled and they can pull in far bigger crowds than PLB could, if they don't bounce straight back up I fear it could be a hell of a long time before they dine at the top table again.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bmuff will bounce back up imho. They’ll lose a couple more players, but Howe is a decent coach and man manager, team spirit will be fine and the owner isn’t afraid of spending big.

Norwich - they’ve a good youth system. Top half rebuilding.

Watford - the Pozzo’s will do anything to get back up, expect to see a large number of suspect signings from Spain and Italy. My guess is that it will pay off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shamelessly stolen from Twitter:-

Bournemouth relegated means Brighton are - as of right now - the only side in history to be promoted to the Premier League and not be relegated from it.

None of them back anytime soon.

Bournemouth could well be playing Pompey the season after next.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Plucky (if Howe stays) and Norwich will be challenging unless they lose too many players.

Watford? Feck knows

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Plucky (if Howe stays) and Norwich will be challenging unless they lose too many players.

Watford? Feck knows

Judging by the last 2 interviews on 5-Live, neither Smug or Troy are staying with their respective clubs.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Howe pretty much confirmed he was leaving in all but words in his post match interview.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Judging by the last 2 interviews on 5-Live, neither Smug or Troy are staying with their respective clubs.

EH said he would stay for as long as he's wanted by the owner.

His first thoughts would surely to be to have another crack at it, that said who knows if someone has come in for him. He might feel he needs another challenge....dunno

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Norwich I think will keep most of the squad together, didn’t invest but would have planned for this and be strong next season

Watford will have use their European links to challenge

Bournemouth will struggle, I think I read on here there’s an 80m hole in the accounts which will need to balanced by player sales and reinvestment from the parachute payments to have a chance. I could see them in league 1 within 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see them all doing ok as long as they don’t panic. Watching the playoffs now and I think they are better than this standard

Will be an interesting precedent if 2 of the managers survive

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

They both sounded like broken men.

I expect them to both be back with the same clubs next season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Plucky depends on how much they were paying there top players, anything over 30k a week in the championship is suicidal and means they have to offload

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here