Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Championship play offs- who do you want to come up?

Who do you want to win the play offs?

• Brentford

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Fulham

Votes: 36 23.1%
  • Cardiff

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Swansea

Votes: 28 17.9%

• Total voters

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not the team you think WILL come up. The team you'd WANT to come up. Go.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Who's in it? (I know, I could look it up but it's Sunday and I'm being lazy).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
None of them are unappealing options this year, frankly. Two easy trips, one excellent away day, and one that suits me for personal reasons.

I'll go for Swansea. Because Mr K is a fan, and also, more importantly (don't tell him) because they are the weakest team on paper and there is zero chance of them splashing the cash if they come up, so from an Albion perspective, that's one of the relegation slots tied up nice and early.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who's in it? (I know, I could look it up but it's Sunday and I'm being lazy).

Wayne Rooney's Derby County, and Nottingham Forest, I believe.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Swansea.

Personal lnks
Potter links
Likey weakest rival

When is it?

First legs are both today, I think. Swans v Brentford definitely is.

Normally, you'd expect Brentford to be on their knees after going so close and blowing it, as often happens to the team who finishes third. I wonder if the lack of crowds might help them this year though. It could easily feel like just another game, rather than a massively high pressure one.

However, Rhian Brewster is on a roll and the Swans are bouncing after Forest's hilarious implosion, so here's one team in white I will be cheering on.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Brentford. I went to Griffin Park a few times in the early 90s as my mates in London had them as a second team and would go there. Great ground, it's a shame they cannot have a decent farewell.
I have, on more than one occasion, been very, very drunk in the New Inn.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Brentford. The other three have all had a go at the PL fairly recently, and haven't done much with their chances. Time for Brentford to have a go.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Of the potential candidates' ability to survive:

-Brentford play a fairly sophisticated game which might surprise a few people. But they do have that donkey Pontus Jansson in defence and a very average keeper so would need to strengthen. They will recruit from their usual good value sources, but may still lose a key player or two even if they go up.

-Fulham will spend again if they get promoted, so might be more of a threat. Hopefully they will still Do A Fulham.

-Cardiff look almost as weak as Swansea. Largely the same lumbering defence which got them relegated last season (Sean Morrison and Joe Bennett FFS), and they don't score many goals. Relegation nailed on if they came up, surely.

-Swansea- play pretty football which should stand them in good stead, but Brewster probably won't be there next season and he's chipped in with most of their goals recently. Defence isn't great, Van Der Hoorn is about as good as it gets (Joe Rodon seems to be highly rated, but often injured).

There's no team in there that you'd think "they're really going to break the bank and go for it", is there? Whoever comes up will probably find it a struggle, but at least their fans won't have that same nauseating sense of entitlement as Villa's did.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Split between 3
Fulham. Tesco Express for some tinnies and crisps and off to the river bank.
Cardiff. Always a great 3 nighter with some super ale houses.
Brentford. Chairman in the stand? New ground.
Swansea. Nah, too far to travel and no decent pubs.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Swansea v Cardiff final would be fun, and Swansea trash them, nearest ground to me plus a few friends support the Swans

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Split between 3
Fulham. Tesco Express for some tinnies and crisps and off to the river bank.
Cardiff. Always a great 3 nighter with some super ale houses.
Brentford. Chairman in the stand? New ground.
Swansea. Nah, too far to travel and no decent pubs.

What? You've never done the Mumbles Mile?

Actually, you're right. Do what you do with Cardiff, make it a three nighter and head down to the Gower.

el punal

Forget Cardiff. Swansea was a great away trip a couple of seasons ago. Fulham has always been a smashing away day - apart from that debacle last season. Brentford could be the surprise package, and presumably, a new ground to tick off for our visit.

So for me Clive it’s Brentford.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Swansea for me

Potter would be happy with that and they also look to be the weakest team.

I also like Swansea as a place so may even persuade Mrs G that it's a good place for a weekend away

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here