Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Villa stay up by one point

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Will Watford and Bmuff take action over the Sheff Utd 'goal'? I don't see what they can do, but I can understand them being very miffed about it. What I don't get is that it happpened just before half-time. During the interval, the ref would have been informed that it was a goal. So why didn't he ask Villa to let Sheff Utd walk the ball in straight from the second-half kick off? That would have been a fair solution.

I remember an Arsenal v Sheff Utd game actually being replayed in similar circumstances, yet nothing happened this time. Amazingly, moaning Villa fans still think they've been hard done by in terms of VAR decisions - completely forgetting about this incident!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
If Villa stay up by 2 points will Watford and Bmuff take action over us criminally gifting them the ball by lumping it up field in the last minute of injury time at Villa Park and conceding the winner with last kick of the game ?

(still rankles)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Didn't Sheffield United get a load of compo after they were relegated because an ineligible player (one of the Argies) scored the winner for wet sham at Man U some years ago. Sheff U were still relegated, though....

Edit: the ref did nothing because he's a twit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They were very lucky with their added time, last seconds of the game winner vs 10 man heroic defending albion as well.

Maybe the Football Gods will set it all right tomorrow.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The Arsenal v Sheff Utd game was an FA cup tie that was only replayed at Wenger’s insistence (SU still lost). Not the same as a club losing a few hundred million quid in PL revenue.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The ref wouldn't ask the teams to do that, it's not in his power for a start and would cause even more controversy with accusations of cheating etc.

If there was to be "walk in goal" it would have to come from one of the managers as we saw with Leeds vs Villa last season when Bielsa allowed Villa to walk the ball in after his players played on when they looked like they were going to put the ball out for an injured player to receive treatment.

The Arsenal vs Sheff Utd game was a cup game that Arsene Wenger offered to be replayed after Arsenal didn't return the ball to Sheff Utd following an injury and subsequently scored.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ironically, Leeds let Villa walk in a goal last season , when The dirties had scored goal when a Villa player was down injured. Bielsa told the Leeds players to walk one in , and so the game ended in a draw, that confirmed Sheffield United’s promotion.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The ref wouldn't ask the teams to do that, it's not in his power for a start and would cause even more controversy with accusations of cheating etc.

He wouldn't have the power to enforce it. But he could have told Dean Smith and suggested it, and left it up to them. And I'm sure they would have complied.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
He wouldn't have the power to enforce it. But he could have told Dean Smith and suggested it, and left it up to them. And I'm sure they would have complied.

Mistakes happen, why on earth would you want to set a precedent that like that? There would be calls for goals being walked in if it came to light at halt time that the penalty a ref in the first half was an error.

In this case it isn't even the ref's fault, the technology failed him. If it came out that a ref had influenced a game in that way then it would be even more controversial than him not giving the goal in the first place.

Even if the goal was given it doesn't necessarily change the outcome of the match, if Sheffield United went 1-0 then the second half is an entirely different game.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Mistakes happen, why on earth would you want to set a precedent that like that? There would be calls for goals being walked in if it came to light at halt time that the penalty a ref in the first half was an error.

In this case it isn't even the ref's fault, the technology failed him. If it came out that a ref had influenced a game in that way then it would be even more controversial than him not giving the goal in the first place.

Even if the goal was given it doesn't necessarily change the outcome of the match, if Sheffield United went 1-0 then the second half is an entirely different game.

Disagree. This was a very unusual situation, so hardly creating a precedent. It was a goal, not an arbitary refereeing decision.

Didn't it also happen years ago (Watford v Reading?) when a goal was scored but not given, and the other side walked it in?

Also, you say it wasn't the ref's fault - but I don't think that's true either. The ref and lino should have seen it was a clear goal (what would they have done before technology?!) and could have alerted VAR to look at it to confirm it. Technology is always going to fail at some point, so the officials then have to make the decision.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Disagree. This was a very unusual situation, so hardly creating a precedent. It was a goal, not an arbitary refereeing decision.

Didn't it also happen years ago (Watford v Reading?) when a goal was scored but not given, and the other side walked it in?

Also, you say it wasn't the ref's fault - but I don't think that's true either. The ref and lino should have seen it was a clear goal (what would they have done before technology?!) and could have alerted VAR to look at it to confirm it. Technology is always going to fail at some point, so the officials then have to make the decision.

Watford vs Reading was a ghost goal awarded to Reading when the ball hadn't even gone in the goal, it actually went wide and was given on a miscommunication between the ref and linesman. Reading did not allow Watford to walk the ball in.

The technology is there to assist the ref and linesman, and has a view of the game that it is impossible for a human to have (short of tying an extra official to each crossbar), it was tested before the game and was working, so the ref and linesmen have to trust it, otherwise it's pointless having it.

In the case of the Sheff Utd goal they wouldn't necessarily be looking from an angle that gave them a clear view (certainly not any clearer than Hawkeye was supposed to have), they would then look at the technology and see that it isn't signaling a goal and go with that, because that is what it is designed to do, a ref isn't going to over-rule the technology unless he can be 100% certain it's wrong and it's almost impossible for him to be that certain and at the time the ball crossed the line the ref had no way of knowing there was a fault with the goal line technology.

You either trust the goal line technology and accept it makes a very rate mistake (in this case it is the first time Hawkeye has ever failed), or you remove it and give the decision back to the ref and have no outside assistance at all.

As I said before ref trying to do anything at half time to influence a side to allow a walk in goal is even more controversial than anything that has happened on the pitch.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Didn't Sheffield United get a load of compo after they were relegated because an ineligible player (one of the Argies) scored the winner for wet sham at Man U some years ago. Sheff U were still relegated, though....

Edit: the ref did nothing because he's a twit.

£20 million out of court settlement was suggested on TS earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

If that were the case why would the ref need to suggest it? Smith (and everyone else at Villa) knew full well what had happened.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There might be a threat of legal action ... If I were Villa I would defend the action and not give a penny. Bad referring decisions happen all the time, as we've seen. Whoever goes down deserves it

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
If they stay up on goal difference I can't see the other sides lying down and accepting it. Definitely could get messy and rightly so, they should have let sufc score or just added the goal at half time when they could clearly see it was a rightful goal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ironically, Leeds let Villa walk in a goal last season , when The dirties had scored goal when a Villa player was down injured. Bielsa told the Leeds players to walk one in , and so the game ended in a draw, that confirmed Sheffield United’s promotion.

Mathematically confirmed it but Leeds couldn't catch Sheffield with two games to go. Sheff had played and won the previous evening so were 6 pts ahead with a goal difference of 37 and before the match with Villa, Leeds GD was 24.

The action makes Bielsa look very sporting but in fact it made no difference. I wonder whether he would have done the same had the result had a bearing on Leeds going up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here