Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] What's The Best Sandwich For A Cricket Tea ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having to make my own this term, I have pondered how to try and replicate the authentic experience.

What to have in the tea time sarnies ? How is our cricketing fraternity coping with this ?

I forgot last week.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having to make my own this term, I have pondered how to try and replicate the authentic experience.

What to have in the tea time sarnies ? How is our cricketing fraternity coping with this ?

I forgot last week.
From memory (Polegate vs. Sussex 1958, when I got a free tea for working the scoreboard) the choice was cucumber or meat paste.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I forgot last week.

You *******

Cheese and onion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
The Monkey, who is a cricket traditionalist, and northern too, swears it should be cucumber. No questions asked. End of thread.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Liver sausage and cucumber. Don’t forget to cut diagonally.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Egg got to be egg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Make the teas once a season for the First XI. Without fail, the chicken, crispy bacon and salad wraps are the most popular item.

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
Egg mayonnaise, ditch the cress . The driver for playing the side show of Cricket. Oh and of course a Jug of beer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From memory (Polegate vs. Sussex 1958, when I got a free tea for working the scoreboard) the choice was cucumber or meat paste.

Shippams?

(Oddly, there is no apostrophe in a Shippams meat paste sandwich. No meat, either, allegedly.)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Big no to gammon or cheese and onion or meat paste ! All are with the greatest of respect very downmarket choices and not acceptable for a good quality cricket match sandwich .

Most importantly use very fresh bread and only put it out ready for eating a max of 15 mins before or the sandwiches will start to dry out .

Some acceptable choices .

A good quality beef is always a good bet , finely sliced with a touch of horseradish.

Smoked salmon pref Scottish with a squeeze of lemon and cucumber

A decent mature cheddar with a quality pickle ( not branston ! )

Egg mayo ( go easy on the mayo ) with a dash of dill

Poached salmon with watercress ( expensive option but classy )

You get the picture .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Make the teas once a season for the First XI. Without fail, the chicken, crispy bacon and salad wraps are the most popular item.

I'm not surprised if you make the teas only once a season. Who wants to drink stone cold tea? :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Big no to gammon or cheese and onion or meat paste ! All are with the greatest of respect very downmarket choices and not acceptable for a good quality cricket match sandwich .

Most importantly use very fresh bread and only put it out ready for eating a max of 15 mins before or the sandwiches will start to dry out .

Some acceptable choices .

A good quality beef is always a good bet , finely sliced with a touch of horseradish.

Smoked salmon pref Scottish with a squeeze of lemon and cucumber

A decent mature cheddar with a quality pickle ( not branston ! )

Egg mayo ( go easy on the mayo ) with a dash of dill

Poached salmon with watercress ( expensive option but classy )

You get the picture .

Add cream cheese and I think we have a winner. That's Sunday sorted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here