Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which club would be your billionaire's football project?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So, say you've got billions to spend and fancy having some fun with a football club. You can pick any club in the country to buy and throw money at, with the aim of getting them to the big time and upsetting the football landscape (a Man City or an Abramovich, if you will). Money is no object (FFP, my arse), and for the sake of objectivity, you can't pick the Albion.

Who do you buy, and why?

Me, I think it would be no fun to pick a club which is already big but unsuccessful (so, not Newcastle then).

Reckon I'd go for somebody like one of the Bristol clubs (probably City, to save me having to spend years looking for a new stadium) or Plymouth. Reasonably sized places with decent catchment areas and a lot of unrealised potential. Throw unlimited cash at one of those and it could really go off.

(It's either that or swan into Selhurst under a false name, promise them the earth, make a few outrageously expensive headline signings, reappoint Frank de Boer, then disappear off into the night with my money, leaving them in ruins with an utterly unsustainable wage bill and a bloated squad full of disgruntled players).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton of course, just couldn't go anywhere else

Of course, but that's against the rules for the purpose of this exercise, otherwise we'd all pick the Albion, wouldn't we? :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
(It's either that or swan into Selhurst under a false name, promise them the earth, make a few outrageously expensive headline signings, reappoint Frank de Boer, then disappear off into the night with my money, leaving them in ruins with an utterly unsustainable wage bill and a bloated squad full of disgruntled players).

:lolol: That was pretty much my first thought :thumbsup: . I'd be nearly as happy doing that to the Pompey tw@ts though.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Other than Brighton. Id plump for Plymouth. Bristol City already have a very rich owner. But I think Plymouth should be a much bigger club than they are currently. Big potential fan base and a ground to expand.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I guess a serious answer would be COVENTRY. Get rid of SISU and put them back in the top division.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Orient. My first project would be to piss West Ham off and give them some competition in my state of the art 30000 seat stadium, with a team packed with ex Albion players and youth team players.

I have come to have a soft spot for Watford O’s team

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Cambridge United!

Had some great afternoons and evenings at The Abbey with my kids before Covid19 ruined all that. Come on you Amber Army!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'd probably found my own club and build it from the ground up. That would be a life's project but a great one nonetheless!

I'd probably initially invest in state of the art training facilities and top-level coaches and watch as the local cloggers are transformed into tip-tappy soccerball gods and storm their way up the county leagues into the professional divisions.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess a serious answer would be COVENTRY. Get rid of SISU and put them back in the top division.

Not a bad shout. The sort of place that could sustain a successful team.

I did like the idea of Shrewsbury when that was suggested, but whether the new Meadow (whatever its commercial name is now) could work for those big Champions League nights when Barcelona come to town is a real concern. And if I was going to build a new stadium, I'd worry about flooding.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd be nearly as happy doing that to the Pompey tw@ts though.

I think they've pretty much done that to themselves before, haven't they? Hence they are (STILL!) Lower League Pompey.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Orient, I hate them but at the same time kind of want them to do okay, thats the closest I get to kiking any other club than the Albion

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Eastbourne Boro!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'd go for Leyton Orient, London's second oldest club, full of tradition, no pretence like some other London clubs,
(*cough cough Croydon).
Would be a nice change to the O's get a slice of the money pie :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd go for Leyton Orient, London's second oldest club, full of tradition, no pretence like some other London clubs,
(*cough cough Croydon).
Would be a nice change to the O's get a slice of the money pie :thumbsup:

And piss off West Ham in their echoey athletics stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here